G-series tranny swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-series tranny swap

Ill use this thread for my updates and questions as a wait for parts to arrive

got my transmissio today. looks a little rough though. oh well. cant be picky i guess. it is a hydraulic tranny from a protege lx.

ok first questions.

i know its a hydraulic tranny, but there is no clutch linkage or anything. damkid is making me the bracket to convert it, but what am i missing? i need the peice that goes into the transmission from the outside i think.

what do i do with all these sensors? are they gonna plug into my old sensors? what are they even for?

is there any maintenance things i should do right now to it while it is removed?

replace your axle shaft seals, then clean the case up nice and purdy! Maybe paint it or clear coat it.
    89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
    94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
    2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
    1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

The sensors should be for the backup lights and neutral safety.

I would definitely replace the axle seals while its out.

You can also swap out the 5th gear pretty easily. Im probably gonna do this with my capri trans. Stock 5th is .8 and the 2.0 MX6 and 626 have a .71, drops the rpms in 5th about 300-400. Not sure what 5th the protege has.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

protege has the higher rpm 5th.
        89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
        94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
        2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
        1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

I guess I shoulda thought about that since its the protege guys that always talk about swapping that gear...
          91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
            I guess I shoulda thought about that since its the protege guys that always talk about swapping that gear...
            wish i could have found a capri tranny lol.

can i buy the hydraulic clutch peice that i am missing? i think it is called the fork lol
            Last edited by Ghost; 03-13-2010, 10:22 PM.

Comment

you need the clutch fork, the clip that holds it to the pivot ball, and might want to get the rubber boot that goes with it. you have a 5th sensor and reverse sensor. swap the stiva reverse sensor in so you can use the stock plug and wiring.

Comment

^i had to swap both of them with my trans... i was happy that i didnt have to do any cutting and splicing

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Originally posted by resuwrecked View Post
                  you need the clutch fork, the clip that holds it to the pivot ball, and might want to get the rubber boot that goes with it. you have a 5th sensor and reverse sensor. swap the stiva reverse sensor in so you can use the stock plug and wiring.
                  the rubber boot came with it haha so thats good. no shift linkage or anythin though.

anyone have a pic of what the fork and clip look like? can i get them at an auto parts store or should i look in the junkyard

Comment

junkyard, i highly doubt the parts store will carry it. when youre at the yard get a shift linkage assy so you can make your new shift linkage. any luck finding an xr2 midshaft?

Oh, and you might also want the front and rear trans mounts (parts that bolt to trans) and slave cyl.
                    Last edited by resuwrecked; 03-14-2010, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by resuwrecked View Post
                      junkyard, i highly doubt the parts store will carry it. when youre at the yard get a shift linkage assy so you can make your new shift linkage. any luck finding an xr2 midshaft?

Oh, and you might also want the front and rear trans mounts (parts that bolt to trans) and slave cyl.

no luck finding a midshaft or axles yet. maxtiva is making me mounts.

Comment

Can maxtiva make me mounts too? Lol
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                          Can maxtiva make me mounts too? Lol
                          only till the end of march so you better pm him and get them in the mail lol

Comment

Ehhh he's I Quebec, I would imagine it would take forever just to get the stuff through customs twice.
                            91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

i dont need a slave cylinder right?

Comment

Working...
                              X