Turbocharging a B3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by resuwrecked View Post
    You guys are over complicating things. Just bolt the damn thing on the engine and have at it.

matt some of us are retards like me :tard:
    -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
    -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

hey guys,

im looking at doing the exact same thing (turboing my b3)

im not doing for huge power gains, itll be more to keep up with traffic without having to thrash the piss out off it.

Ive done a lot of work with b6/bpt/bpd conversions in 4wd ke tx3 lasers etc and got a ton of parts left over from the tx3

plan is to bolt on a t25 (from an r32 gtr) and see what happens. Im keeping the stock zorst as i dont want it over boosting etc.

the festi is my daily work lappo car so im not gonna spend too much on and most of the gear will be fabricated by me!

steve

Comment

keep us posted
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Bump for progress.

Here's a cheap T25 for ya.
          1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
          Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
          daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
          A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

lol, thats damed expensive.

Im not going to a lot of effort into this upgrade, hence ill be using a second hand gtr turbo ($50), not looking at making heaps of power, im just bored and wanna play around a little.

Comment

Well, for a T25, that's about $40 cheaper than most, if not more. That's what I'm going to use when I (finally) find a Festiva and turbo the B3.
              1990 White L-Plus 5-speed rust-machine
              Scrapped

1991 Blue L 5-speed
              daily driver, intermittent project

1993 rustless wonder
              A shell, awaiting suspension, brakes, and B6T

Comment

What kind of gains would a T25 add to a B3 if it were mounted under the hood, with an intercooler from, say, a VW New Beetle Turbo S?
                In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

depends on what turbo, the vw intercoolers are very small but would work

Comment

Originally posted by iceracerdude View Post
                    Remember, just about all factory b3 engines have cast pistons, stock non-moly rings, and higher than turbo friendly compression ratio's! lol right!
                    Get a smaller turbo unless you want your engine to more closely resemble Afganstan's economy.
                    Personally I have found that bigger turbo are better for engine reliability. The reason being that they produce MUCH less heat at the same boost level. Which in turn allows less likelyhood of knock the ability to make more power on less boost.

I switched from a 60trim t3 to a garrett gt3076r on my element and gained almost 100hp on the same boost level. Fuel economy and reliability were unchanged.

Comment

• Originally posted by rollertoaster View Post
                      Personally I have found that bigger turbo are better for engine reliability. The reason being that they produce MUCH less heat at the same boost level. Which in turn allows less likelyhood of knock the ability to make more power on less boost.

I switched from a 60trim t3 to a garrett gt3076r on my element and gained almost 100hp on the same boost level. Fuel economy and reliability were unchanged.
                      if you mean honda element.

you sir... are the man.

most road race cars have huger turbo and run lower psi for that reason exactly.

Comment

• yes, a honda element. Its supprised the hell out of people when they saw it smoking all 4 tires. That thing ran like a raped ape, too bad it was in a 4000lb car.

Comment

• Originally posted by rollertoaster View Post

You're making my point, a KO3 on a 1.3 8 valve IS a big huffer! I recommended it because It's designed for 1.8 liter 20 valve (strengthened) engines.
                          As if there's no such thing as too big?
                          97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                          CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                          Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

• I have a ko3 laying around
                            Xaero81 has an aspire manifold and a good running B3 festy.

To be continued.
                            91GL BP/F3A with boost
                            13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

• Originally posted by resuwrecked View Post
                              Mine spools faster:geek:

I t-charged my first festiva with the b3 and my current car before i did the bp swap. Like greg, i had the most fun with the b3t. i used an aspire manifold and a vj-11 with a 12:1 fmu, walbro 255 intank and the msd btm (not necessary but can get more power with more advanced base timing). The thing was a rocket with just 8psi.
                              I tried PMing resuwrecked but his mail has exceeded capacity, so...

I want to turbo my B3 and your setup looks appealing to me. I was hoping you could answer a few questions for me. I was originally planning on running a vj14, which I am under the impression that it is smaller than a vj11 and will spool sooner. At what rpm range did your vj11 spool? This may be a newb question, but how did you limit your boost to 8psi? I want my B3 to retain its reliability.

I'd appreciate your input and Happy Holidays!
                              Thanks,
                              Will
                              I know how to use the search function, I just don't always choose to use it. New modifications, solutions, and information are discovered every day and I want to know what the current concensus is for whatever topic I have in mind. Thank you for understanding this!

Comment

Working...
                              X