B6 piston options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B6 piston options

I recently purchased another B6 to replace my bottom end. I would like to run some forged pistons to withstand the turbo easier. Who makes forged pistons for the sohc B6 8v?
    Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
    93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
    91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
    93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
    15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
    88 Dakota tow pig

I wonder if they might not be the same pistons for the B6D or the gen 1 Miata.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Nope, they have 3 valve reliefs. Not 4.

Dennis
      91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
      88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Why not just get a b6t?
        91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
        14 C7 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by gauge_half_inch View Post
          Nope, they have 3 valve reliefs. Not 4.
          Correct, but I wonder if they couldn't be made to work, or maybe even work as is? It may be worth getting ahold of a used one to play with (unless you already have). PTV may be OK with factory cam, or, you could have them notched (not uncommon). Compression height and dish may be different as well....who knows what the end result would be, but it might be worth checking out?
          Last edited by blkfordsedan; 04-13-2012, 04:22 PM.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Vw View Post
            Why not just get a b6t?
            For the same reason I didn't buy a Honduuh. Why be like everyone else? Plus I've already boosted the one i have in the car,but my rings didn't hold up to the boost.

Dennis
            88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Bump, anything?

Dennis
              88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Forged pistons will not make much difference on ring life. Oil cooling, oil quality
                and a oil jet aimed at the bottom of the piston will make a difference. If you had
                a hole in the piston or a broken skirt, Forged will help you there. Forged may actually
                be harder on rings because of the sloppy fit required.
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I'm sure several places would custom make some, but I doubt it would be cost effective. Might be time to get creative and check out pistons for other brands. Something out there has to work with a little creative machining.
                  Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                  04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                  62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                  Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
                    I'm sure several places would custom make some, but I doubt it would be cost effective. Might be time to get creative and check out pistons for other brands. Something out there has to work with a little creative machining.
                    That's what this thread was started to see if anyone already knew this info?

Dennis
                    88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

not sure but would ceramic coating have any benefits ?? if you couldn't find forged
                      I know it doesn't make the piston its self stronger but it helps with wear keeping the heat off those rings might make them last longer

Comment

I'm thinking of having stock ones cryo treated to resist wear.

Dennis
                        88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

300 below dose good work i hear and pretty fair priced

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
                            not sure but would ceramic coating have any benefits ?? if you couldn't find forged
                            I know it doesn't make the piston its self stronger but it helps with wear keeping the heat off those rings might make them last longer
                            it's supposed to keep heat off the crown and IN the chamber for a more efficient use of the heat energy. the rings shouldn't see any real accumulation of heat if the oil system is in good working order and the rings are gapped properly.

Denis, you should consider running another .005-.010" more ring gap in the first ring (the one that sees the most heat).
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I use JE STI and Wiseco if I have too.
                              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                              X