No announcement yet.

B6 piston options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they work, one disadvantage that I could see with using OEM spec B6T pistons would be a lower compression ratio. Right now, your used to ~9.2:1 compression. With the increased overlap of the FMS cam, that might be a deal killer.
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I'm kinda confused about the goal of this engine, were you going to turbo this or keep it n/a?
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Right now it is turbo, read my sig, the rings have worn to quickly and have blow by. I'm building another b6 to replace the one in my car so no down time.
        Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
        93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
        91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
        93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
        15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
        88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Totalseal rings are what the old shop was using, they were installed in all the supercharged engines
          1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

I would love to up the compression of my b6t before I drop it in. 7.9 is too low.
            Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

Originally posted by rbrown View Post
              I would love to up the compression of my b6t before I drop it in. 7.9 is too low.
              Tell ya what, ill take your old pistons off your hands. I'll pay for shipping...

Dennis
              91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
              88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Anyone else have any insight?

Dennis
                88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

rbrown: i was not suggesting 7.9 is a good ratio for a 1.6 or BP. Guys make good power with the stock pistons over 9:1 WITH TUNING. It was just an example for a different application where in my location we consider dropping static down to offset poor quality pump gas, or good quality low octane gas if you wanted to be more accurate
                  Last edited by getnpsi; 04-17-2012, 10:59 AM.
                  1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Stock b6t pistons aren't forged, they are cast. Like others have suggested, forged pistons won't solve your ring issue unless you have some made with a lower and thicker top ring. JE will do all of this for you, PM me for the guy to talk to at JE, your looking at around 800 for a set. If I were you I'd use an OEM oversized replacement cast piston with federal mogul rings, file the top ring loose ( like arty said). Total seal works too, but they use federal mogul rings to make their rings (I go over to total seal to get my rings directly from them when I use total seal). Good luck!
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

The current issue with my rings is I was forced to use economy iron rings when I put my engine back together due to time restrictions and parts avalible. The held good for about a month. I obviously plan to run a premium ring this time. If I were to buy stock replacement cast pistons, would it be worth my time money to have them cryo treated or some type of coating applied to help withstand the heavy stress of daily 14psi?

Dennis
                      88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Corky Bell knows what to do! :p
                        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by gauge_half_inch View Post
                          If I were to buy stock replacement cast pistons, would it be worth my time money to have them cryo treated or some type of coating applied to help withstand the heavy stress of daily 14psi?
                          yes and yes!!! especially the coatings!!! i recomend SwainTech.
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                            Corky Bell knows what to do! :p
                            Yeah yeah....

Dennis
                            88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Originally posted by gauge_half_inch View Post
                              The current issue with my rings is I was forced to use economy iron rings when I put my engine back together due to time restrictions and parts avalible. The held good for about a month. I obviously plan to run a premium ring this time. If I were to buy stock replacement cast pistons, would it be worth my time money to have them cryo treated or some type of coating applied to help withstand the heavy stress of daily 14psi?
                              A properly tuned car with cast pistons will live just fine.
                              Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

why is everyone so set on valve reliefs lining up? just don't skip a tooth on your timing belt.

The one thing you should ask yourself is how much money do you want to spend to do it properly? Rebuilding an engine is ALOT of cash when doing it properly. Don't expect to rebulid one for any less then $1200 for an OEM bulid.

My advice to you is find a low mile b6sohc engine or throw in a JDM miata one.

Comment

Working...
                                X