No announcement yet.

B6 piston options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for the explanation festyboy that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
      I use JE STI and Wiseco if I have too.
      Do they make the 8v
      Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
      93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
      91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
      93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
      15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
      88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Originally posted by gauge_half_inch View Post
        Do they make the 8v
        JE , they will customize for longer rods ect.

Wiseco ...shudder... good looking forged for 94 and up miata 1.8..same??

STI..good looking piston for 1.8 323 or miata..

I have not used this application....
        Last edited by Movin; 04-14-2012, 11:35 PM.
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I have wondered about this question also. My original intent was to build and boost my b6, I never had any plans of a bp swap. I checked out the b6d pistons and was disapointed to find out they weren't the same. I just find it weird that there are so many interchangeable parts but no pistons. I would have thought some were made for the ol school 323.
          -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
          -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

uuhhh guys, why would you think that a 16v and an 8v piston would be anywhere close to similar? both the B6D and B6-ME are 16v, requiring 4 valve reliefs per piston. the reason the B6 (8v) has 3 reliefs is because they can be used in any cylinder and still work properly (exhaust valve is offset at every cylinder).

Weisco and JE can custom any piston you need, no matter what the shape is, just be prepaired to pay out.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

throw miata high comp pistons in... done deal. 4 valve releases who cares haha. just dont break a timing belt.

Comment

x2 on the dont need forged pistons. Rings or the HG goes before enough energy destroys the oem slugs. Should have a roll call of who's blown up and what went to supply real world data. this also backs up the durability of what the cars came with. Tuning errors or lack of accounts for most booms--or a wastegate line coming off, bad fuel, water pump let go etc. Not to mention so many people are adding boost on a tired engine..albeit they last months before any issue

festyfreak how is that 1.5 doing this month btw?
                1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

So technically I could use the B6t pistons? It just then becomes an interference engine? What about the rods also?

Dennis
                  91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                  88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

I am home so I can't look this up but if your rods do not have piston
                    squirters and the turbo rods do, I would definitely go with the oil jets
                    to cool the piston and rings.
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I would love to add them, ill have to wait till I get my block back from the machine shop to see if I can add them. There should be a oil galley somewhere close I could tap into, just snag some from a turbo engine.

Dennis
                      88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

If you end up going with pistons that make the engine interference, it might be worth your time to not mess with installing oil squirters unless the holes are already there. Maybe just get the pistons ceramic coated.. did you ever buy maximum boost yet?
                        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Forgot all about it... LOL I have so many irons in the fire, so to speak.

Dennis
                          88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Dennis, when I looked up the pistons yesterday in my Federal Mogul catalog, there was some differences between the B6 and the B6T pistons. The compression height on the B6 showed to be 1.23" and the B6T showed 1.26". Assuming the rods are the same length, I'm not sure where this extra .030" goes.....since the B6 is only .003" below deck @ TDC. Maybe the B6T actually came above deck and into the head gasket bore (?) Also, the dish on the B6 is ~.020" deep (with 3 valve reliefs) and the B6T piston shows a much deeper dish of ~.200" and obviously 4 valve reliefs. It may be possible to have the tops of B6T's machined down to "0" deck, since the dish is so deep anyway. As far as the valve reliefs, you may be able to fly cut them to provide the required relief, but I don't know if it would be required if your running a stock cam (low lift).

Before I bought a new set of pistons, I would try to score a used B6T piston from another member and do some measuring and a mock-up. You could even saw cut it to get a cross-section view to help determine if there's enough meat to machine the tops down.

FYI: according to the F/M catalog, they list the B6T piston as being cast. I'm not sure if this is a misprint, or maybe they just offer cast as a replacement for the factory forged. I thought it was kind of strange....
                            Last edited by blkfordsedan; 04-16-2012, 08:44 AM.
                            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I was trying to buy aftermarket forged, like wiesco ect. That may not be a bad idea, I'm running a FMS street cam, so I'm not sure on total lift numbers. If I could just have the B6T aftermarket pistons slightly modified that may be a good option. Anyone able to conferm rods?

Dennis
                              88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Originally posted by gauge_half_inch View Post
                                That's what this thread was started to see if anyone already knew this info?

Thats the approach i wanted to ask about back in the day. Sleeve the block and use some cookie cutter oem style pistons from another make and model that has huge aftermarket. You just have to get a catalog and burn midnight oil writing down decimals...lol i.e. ford 4.6 modular pistons work in an srt-4 when you punch out the bores...you then have a 2.6, 7.8:1, 91 octane friendly boost engine, and dont pay "the man" $4500 for a strokerr assembly.

oops i was trying to quote blkfordsedan not yours
                                Last edited by getnpsi; 04-16-2012, 10:36 AM.
                                1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Working...
                                X