Twin charged bp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin charged bp

So I think I enjoy designing and building more than I do driving. But it's got me thinking about making the best festiva ever. I will cram 205/55 r15 tires in my wheel wells. But what to do after I upgrade my transmission to g on my b3t build? No one really wants a built b3 do they? So much money for so little power. The plan is to buy a nice ac tig welder when tax money comes back, so upgrading will then be endless possibly. I'm a dreamer, and a schemer. Bp twin charged. With a cobalt sized supercharger, or an m90, and a very capable turbo placed in the stock battery location.
    What's kept anyone from going this route?

I don't know if there has ever even been a supercharger festiva

Comment

Why????? The amoun of money needed to twin charge a BP for honestly what will be very minimal gains. Compared to a nicely done turbo setup with a built BP. The m90 is a crappy choice as well. Makes more heat then anything, just ask the W body guys.
      So basically the answer is.....it's a waste of money and fab skills....

Comment

A properly built NA BP that is still reliable would probably give around 180-200 crank HP. Then turbo it for another 50% or better. No point in a power-robbing supercharger for us, esp. in such a small engine bay.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by koRnhead View Post
          The m90 is a crappy choice as well. Makes more heat then anything, just ask the W body guys. ..
          Anything over driven well create nuisance heat. I was actually thinking about under driving an m90 to make appropriately comparable cfm for a bp. Maybe no more than 8psi from it alone.

Comment

If you could find an m24 or m45 they might be better suited for your motor.
            Jerry
            Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
            90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
            92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
            93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

The m90 makes 7 to 8 psi on a gtp with the stock 3.8 inch pulley and makes huge amounts of heat. It's not worth it. Dream all you want but a built BP on a evo3 16g will make way more power and have a better powerband than any hack job twin charged setup you make.

Comment

Why would it be a hack job?
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                  Why would it be a hack job?
                  Tell him to take it back or I'm telling mom.

Comment

Because youre never going to spend the r&d money to make that a clean install. Not to mention the m90 would be a huge restriction trying to blow a turbo through it......you really want to twin charge it, look for a centrifugal blower you can clutch to stop making boost above say 3500 rpm.
                    Honestly not being a dick here, but the reason people dont twin charge things is because the gain isnt worth the effort. Are there some impressive twin systems out there?? Sure, but they are all huge dollar builds. You really think spending 10k on r&d for a festiva is worth while??? Cuz i have some amazing beach front property here in wisconsin to sell you!!

Comment

You'd be better off using your new tig welder to fabricate a bracket that holds a cinderblock on top of you valve cover, have a mason drill a hole in the cinderblock and run your intake through it. This will save a you a bunch of time, money and frustration. haha.
                      Seriously though, if your dead set on twin charging you should do it to a B6t. The BP likes to make everything come loose and fall apart and supercharging it makes this worse. Adding a turbo system to this madness will further complicate the experience.
                      Twin charging is a difficult balance and it seldom works out any better than a well designed turbo system. Since Festivas are so light, you really don't need the TQ down low that justifies a twin charger setup.
                      Last edited by Advancedynamix; 01-08-2015, 07:47 PM.
                      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

You might try compound turbos (one small and one large turbo in sequence) rather than twin charging. It'll be easier, and give something of the same result with less complication and less thinking and less fabbing.

Not hating. Remember Frank's crazy Lotus? It CAN work very well, but I bet he could have gotten nearly the same result in a cleaner tighter package with less thinking if he'd done compound turbos instead.

Last edited by sketchman; 01-08-2015, 07:52 PM.
                        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Right quite the difference between a festiva and a lotus. Lol. Seriously this is a wet dream.

Comment

Kornhead - you're always such a ray of sunshine

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Well someone has to crush people's dreams around here. Lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X