Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome info guys! I was toying with swapping a BP for a while. But i just feel the B6D/T engines are better suited to our cars. ( unless 1/4 mile times are your goal ) And knowing a have several options when it come to producing the HP Goals I have in mind is great.
    Previous owner of 8 festivas... looking for number 9

Adam

Comment

• Does this information translate across to the B5 motor 1.5? I have found a B5 from a '93 familia/323 that I plan to drop into a DA 121. Will these engines match up with the bell housing/mounts on the original gearbox?

Comment

• The B5 will match up to the E series trans, use B3 flywheel and clutch.
        As we did not get this exact variant in the US, I don't know which manifolds will bolt directly to the B5 head. Some fetteling/fabrication may be required.
        B5 advantages:
        Shorter stroke allows higher revs
        Exhaust system can stay B3
        Engine will run perfectly on B3 management
        No car too fast !

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
          Engine will run perfectly on B3 management
          Thanks for the reply! Just checking on this, my car is Carby at the moment, and the new engine is Single Point, Throttle Body Injection.
          What ECU will run this motor? Can I use any old Familia ECU or does it have to be specific to the engine?
          Sorry I am really new to EFI.

Cheers,
          Sam

Comment

• If the B3 intake manifold will bolt on, the simplest swap is to put the relevant B3 parts on the B5 long block, this retains the B3 management.
            if you wish to run it as it ran in the Familia, that's harder, you will need the Familia harness (or most of it!) And ECU and probably other parts I'm not thinking of......and a lot more time!

If the B3 intake won't bolt on, there may be a carby B6 manifold that will.
            Last edited by Dragonhealer; 04-10-2019, 05:55 PM.
            No car too fast !

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
              If the B3 intake manifold will bolt on, the simplest swap is to put the relevant B3 parts on the B5 long block, this retains the B3 management.
              if you wish to run it as it ran in the Familia, that's harder, you will need the Familia harness (or most of it!) And ECU and probably other parts I'm not thinking of......and a lot more time!

If the B3 intake won't bolt on, there may be a carby B6 manifold that will.
              Not to post in a reasonably old post, I was told shaving the b6d head on a manual n/a b6d would bump the compression up around 10:1? be safe on 87?

Comment

• We have stopped cutting heads to get compression, but yes, you can get 10:1, you will have no room for better cams, and if the valves float, they will bend.
                87 octane will depend on your tune.
                No car too fast !

Comment

• Hi there,
                  I'm looking at fixing up an old capri xr2 that has been sitting for years, and I've found out the ecu is dead due to water damage. I saw your 2016 post regarding the similarities of these engines, and since I cannot find an xr2 ecu anywhere, what would be the best system to buy or modify in place of the original ecu? (as you said something such as a b3 engine management system could run a b6 with simple modifications)

Thanks,

Jesse Norris

Comment

• A XR2 ecu is the only one that will work, or possibly a 323 GT/GTX but those would be even harder to find. Most people parting out Capris keep the engine/harness/ecu together so finding an ecu won't be easy.
                    '88 L- B6d-Sidedraft Dellorto Carbs-G-Series-Advanced Suspension
                    '89 L B3-5 speed-A/C-Advanced Suspension

Project Goldilocks '66 C10 Short Fleet BBW Build
                    '65 C10 Highly Detailed Stock Restoration Thread
                    '55 International Metal/Body/Paint Work
                    '66 F100 Full Rotisserie Restoration
                    '40 Packard 120 Convertible Coupe Restoration
                    How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster
                    How To Detail Sand Body Panels, Edges, Corners

Comment

Working...
                    X