Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much power can you get out of a 1.3

Hi all,
    I've recently lost my first festiva (aspire) to someone rear ending her however, just picked up another one. 1997 trio.
    As a result of the crash, i was left with 4 near new tyres/brakes/suspension as a set. So i have gone and swapped all the good gear in and will be running it stock while I build myself a turbo 1.3 with the other motor and gearbox.

I'm a machinist by trade, so all the modifications will be made by me to save money (and get the i built it myself smile ).
    I will be using a td04 equivalent turbo, and a water to air intercooler, copper head gasket, bigger injectors (300cc ) bigger in tank fuel pump, I'll be customizing the standard pistons for lower compression so i can run more boost, and I'll be balancing all of the con rods and getting the crank professionally balanced.
    The gearbox will eventually get rebuilt with a straight cut gear set and a reinforced diff to handle the power. Plus clutch upgrade of course.
    But as the tutle suggests, I'mnot sure how power i can get out of the little engine.
    Who else has undergone the 1.3t build and with what results?
    Keen to hear ANY input or advice on this one.

Cheers, beazo

how much power can you get out of a 1.3

Nice to see someone else trying this! Use the search on this site to look up threads by matt dickmyer. He got a lot of power out of a B3. You should find some helpful info in his threads. Search for turbo B3 and see what comes up. A few guys have done it but not many have taken it as serious as you. You should still find some helpful info though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ryanprins13; 05-22-2016, 08:05 PM.

Comment

With just a stock motor, you could reasonably expect a 60% increase at 10 PSI, which is a safe amount of boost for reliability/longevity--depending of course on the turbo itself. But you're looking at extensive mods, and IDK what level of boost you have in mind.

The people to talk to are Greg/eurotiva and Charlie/Advancedynamix. And others no doubt know about this topic too.

Edit after Ryan's post:
      Matt Dickmeyer is certainly the man for this, but he is not on here any more. You might try contacting him directly; he is on Facebook. I have his original development motor in my garage (going into my Aspire next month). Matt claims something like 210 HP (IIRC) from this motor, turboed. He also did extensive headwork on it, but the bottom end is stock. I will be installing it NA, not turbo. It has been dynoed at 85 HP, NA (stock is ~52 at the wheels).
      Last edited by TominMO; 05-22-2016, 08:14 PM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Cheers for the name to check out.
        Unfortunately i don't use Facebook, so may have to find another avenue to contact him.
        But I will definitely be perusing the forums here for as much info as i can.

As for goals on power???? Not sure, goals for boost? Not sure again. It will all be dialled into the built engine, and find out what works best with the set up.
        And keep me posted on your build tomin, sounds pretty cool. 85hp NA, not a bad number at all.

Comment

Originally posted by beazo View Post
          Cheers for the name to check out.
          Unfortunately i don't use Facebook, so may have to find another avenue to contact him.
          But I will definitely be perusing the forums here for as much info as i can.

As for goals on power???? Not sure, goals for boost? Not sure again. It will all be dialled into the built engine, and find out what works best with the set up.
          And keep me posted on your build tomin, sounds pretty cool. 85hp NA, not a bad number at all.
          Main goal number one, port your intake runners in your head so your fuel doesn't separate under high boost levels. The b3 head is NOT a turbo happy head, which the b6d head is. (Can you see the valve base from the start of the inlet port?) You'll get fuel puddling on your piston or somewhere and it'll ruin everything.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Few questions for you ( I dont know anything about turboing) do you need to change your camshaft? Will the hla's work or do you need mechanically adjusted ones? Where will you get the oil supply for your turbo from and do you need to change the spring in the oil pump to dump at a higher pressure or is 50 psi ok? Are you planning for a different intake and exhaust manifold? I would think they both would need changing.
            I hope this works out well for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's ok on low boost, but if you're serious about going 10+ psi is a worthwhile mod

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

I have thought about the head, and it will be ported both sides. I have also thought of the fuel puddling, and in conjunction with bigger injectors with a better spray pattern, and a higher capacity fuel pump, i am more than confident in that set up to remain atomized and deliver a good burn under boost.
                Also combining this with a custom intake manifold to allow a much more direct fuel injection angle.

Comment

Not sure what hla's are man, sorry.
                  As for oil, it will be running a seperate oil system, with electric pump and seperate return and cooler.
                  My manifolds will both be custom to suit the application, and as for cam, i am still investigating where to get one, specifically with a longer duration, as I am happy with the lift on the standard cam, just want it to be opening the valves for a little longer.
                  Cheers for the well wishes man.

Comment

Originally posted by beazo View Post
                    Not sure what hla's are man, sorry.
                    As for oil, it will be running a seperate oil system, with electric pump and seperate return and cooler.
                    My manifolds will both be custom to suit the application, and as for cam, i am still investigating where to get one, specifically with a longer duration, as I am happy with the lift on the standard cam, just want it to be opening the valves for a little longer.
                    Cheers for the well wishes man.
                    Hydraulic lash adjusters. Are you hoping to buy an aftermarket cam or wondering where to get one custom made? Sounds like its going to be an awesome build! When do you plan to start?

Comment

Ah, yeah, in Australia we just call them lifters, hence the confusion.
                      Yeah, I'll be moving to solid state "lash adjusters" or lifters.
                      As for cam, i don't know where I'll get one off the shelf. Still researching that one.
                      And I'll hopefully be stripping the engine down this weekend.

Comment

Awesome. Keep us updated on how it goes, My little brother wants to Turbo his but I told him it would probably be easier to do a Rear Mounted Turbo because we are not Machinist...
                        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                        sigpic
                        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

You can keep the HLAs if you are not going with a cam profile that is so tall that you need more clearance. So stock cam, no problem.

If I turboed my B3 to 10 PSI, multiplying 85 HP x 1.6, I would expect to get 136 HP at the wheels.
                          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                            You can keep the HLAs if you are not going with a cam profile that is so tall that you need more clearance. So stock cam, no problem.

If I turboed my B3 to 10 PSI, multiplying 85 HP x 1.6, I would expect to get 136 HP at the wheels.
                            How did you come up with this equation? wanw
                            "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                            sigpic
                            "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                            "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                            "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                            "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                            https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
                              How did you come up with this equation?
                              Not an equation, just experience from dynoing. Greg/eurotiva stuck a stock B6 SOHC in my Festy, and then rear-turboed it. Stock WHP for a B6 is ~71, assuming a 10% driveline loss. It dynoed at 111 WHP. I had axed him to keep it down to 10 PSI for reliability.
                              Last edited by TominMO; 05-23-2016, 09:49 AM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                              X