how much power can you get out of a 1.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
    Awesome. Keep us updated on how it goes, My little brother wants to Turbo his but I told him it would probably be easier to do a Rear Mounted Turbo because we are not Machinist...
    Nothing wrong with a rear mounted turbo, been tried and proven many times over. Just get yourself a good exhaust to feed the bugger and you should be sweet to just run a pipe straight to the throttlte body. The length of the pipe will act as a cooler for yourcharged air.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
      Not an equation, just experience from dynoing. Greg/eurotiva stuck a stock B6 SOHC in my Festy, and then rear-turboed it. Stock WHP for a B6 is ~71, assuming a 10% driveline loss. It dynoed at 111 WHP. I had axed him to keep it down to 10 PSI for reliability.
      There is an equation over here with hill climb racing, that states if you turbo your car for racing,you must multiply the engine capacity by 1.7, so you can be placed in the correct engine class. Whilst this isn't an equation for power, i just thaought it was worth mentioning, as the numbers are very similar. Lol.

As for cam/hla set up. I found a company (in the US i think) called dinotec, apparently they can cater a cam package suited to the b3.
      I'll have to look into it further, but it seems promising.

Comment

This is the page for the cam. Not really a great deal of info on here, so will have to contact them and see what the deal is. But if those prices are accurate, then I'll have to give it a try,

Comment

Do a intercooler on your intake kind of thing. Water to air intercooling that is. Like mine, but prettier

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by beazo View Post
            http://www.precisionintl.com/Categor...el=&Engine=498

This is the page for the cam. Not really a great deal of info on here, so will have to contact them and see what the deal is. But if those prices are accurate, then I'll have to give it a try,
            As far as cam work--when Matt D did the cams in my 1.3 and 1.6, he had to go to manually-adjusted rockers for clearance, because of the extra lobe lift he designed in. Also, my motors are now interference motors, for that reason. For most people, I would recommend keeping the lobe profile stock, which lets you retain the HLAs if you have them. Depending on how much power you wanted, you could still go to larger valves for more flow, but that's where you start dumping $$$ into the project. A simple valve job and cleanup of the combustion chambers, and the intake and exhaust runners, would give a lot of bang for buck. Then turbo that. You could just slap a turbo on a completely stock motor, for sure, and it would be great fun; but you'd be even happier with some basic-level head work.

Fuel mileage will not suffer much or at all, if you are just cruising on the hwy, depending on your turbo choice. I had Greg use one that kept me out of boost until about 3000 RPM, so I could drive non-boosted normally, and just use the turbo for when I needed maximum acceleration.

Like every stop sign.....:-)
            Last edited by TominMO; 05-23-2016, 08:05 PM.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by bhearts View Post
              Do a intercooler on your intake kind of thing. Water to air intercooling that is. Like mine, but prettier

That's a really good idea, that would really neaten up the engine bay as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                As far as cam work--when Matt D did the cams in my 1.3 and 1.6, he had to go to manually-adjusted rockers for clearance, because of the extra lobe lift he designed in. Also, my motors are now interference motors, for that reason. For most people, I would recommend keeping the lobe profile stock, which lets you retain the HLAs if you have them. Depending on how much power you wanted, you could still go to larger valves for more flow, but that's where you start dumping $$$ into the project. A simple valve job and cleanup of the combustion chambers, and the intake and exhaust runners, would give a lot of bang for buck. Then turbo that. You could just slap a turbo on a completely stock motor, for sure, and it would be great fun; but you'd be even happier with some basic-level head work.

Fuel mileage will not suffer much or at all, if you are just cruising on the hwy, depending on your turbo choice. I had Greg use one that kept me out of boost until about 3000 RPM, so I could drive non-boosted normally, and just use the turbo for when I needed maximum acceleration.

Like every stop sign.....:-)
                It sounds like matt d is going to be the man to talk to, haha. The only way I've seen to contact him is on facebook though. And I'm not even going to entertain the cost of an overseas phone call, haha.
                Might have to join Facebook just to contact him.

Comment

That's a really good idea, that would really neaten up the engine bay as well.
                  I would use the lower intake manifold and build a plenum on it. It's quite the complex shape and the ports start at 1.22 and taper down to 1.1 at the head. Which should really help off boost torque. Boost doesn't really care about intake restrictions. Hence why turbo builds rarely worry about bigger throttle bodies.

Comment

Boost doesn't really care about intake restrictions. Hence why turbo builds rarely worry about bigger throttle bodies.

Brian.... really? Lol
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                      Brian.... really? Lol
                      A well seriously though. Why worry about your two inch throttle body when your valves per cylinder don't even equal up to that area. Even valves per 2 cylinder on the b6d still isn't 2 inch total area. The valves are the restriction.

Last edited by bhearts; 05-24-2016, 04:03 PM.

Comment

But, I am a simple theologian with not actual real life experience. At what point would one want to upgrade a throttle body

Comment

Brian, are you familiar with how A/C works? It's the same principle and the same thing happens but on a smaller scale.
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I would use the lower intake manifold and build a plenum on it. It's quite the complex shape and the ports start at 1.22 and taper down to 1.1 at the head. Which should really help off boost torque. Boost doesn't really care about intake restrictions. Hence why turbo builds rarely worry about bigger throttle bodies.

Going to have to agree with advanced on this one. Any kind of air flow, forced or otherwise can have a very big difference if these restrictions aren't at the very least turned into smooth transitions. Usually why ports are rounded off and not taking harsh angular changes in direction.
                            As for the throttlte body, the way i look at it is that it was engineered specifically for the stock engine. So if the , lets call it flow rate of air is going to increase, then the size of other areas would benefit from an increase also. I'm not 100% on the path I'll be taking with the throttle body, but an upgrade will definitely be on the cards.

However this isn'tgoing to be an overnight build, so I will be focusing souly on the internals of the engine to begin with, and working my way out to manifolds, and then turbo fitment with throttle body and intercooler options last on the list.

Comment

Going to have to agree with advanced on this one. Any kind of air flow, forced or otherwise can have a very big difference if these restrictions aren't at the very least turned into smooth transitions. Usually why ports are rounded off and not taking harsh angular changes in direction.
                              As for the throttlte body, the way i look at it is that it was engineered specifically for the stock engine. So if the , lets call it flow rate of air is going to increase, then the size of other areas would benefit from an increase also. I'm not 100% on the path I'll be taking with the throttle body, but an upgrade will definitely be on the cards.

However this isn'tgoing to be an overnight build, so I will be focusing souly on the internals of the engine to begin with, and working my way out to manifolds, and then turbo fitment with throttle body and intercooler options last on the list.
                              We're not taking port mismatches and rough edges though. We're talking about pipe sizes. Whatever size throttle body you end up with will almost inevitably be larger diameter then your impeller head opening on your turbo. So that should be the one true restriction in the system.

Last edited by bhearts; 05-24-2016, 08:03 PM.

Comment

True, but in saying that, there is no reason to add any more or allow existing ones to remain, and perhaps a bigger turbo later in life will alleviate all of the restrictions totally.

Comment

Working...
                                X