how much power can you get out of a 1.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beazo View Post
    True, but in saying that, there is no reason to add any more or allow existing ones to remain, and perhaps a bigger turbo later in life will alleviate all of the restrictions totally.
    That is typically the cheapest bang for the buck. 1000 dollar head job, 15 percent gain. Turn the boost up for free.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Hopefully my head work will cost me less than 1000 dollars. All i need is some long polishing stones and some long carbide burs. And a lot of ear plugs, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by beazo View Post
        Hopefully my head work will cost me less than 1000 dollars. All i need is some long polishing stones and some long carbide burs. And a lot of ear plugs, lol.
        Ear plugs for sure.

Comment

What the saying about head porting, raise the roof don't lower the floor? Or is it the other way around

Comment

Not sure about that one man, sorry.

Comment

On a b3, your going to blow it up before your throttle body is an issue. However, airflow through a turbocharged engine is more important than through a naturally aspirated engine. Thinking of boost pressure as a cure all bandaid will result in a poorly tuned turbosystem.
              A turbocharger is a centrifugal supercharger. This means that it speeds the air up so fast that the weight of the air is what compresses it. Anything that slows down the air will reduce the efficiency of this system. Boost pressure builds at the point of most resistance and backs up from there. It doesn't build at the turbocharger and go towards the valves. In a non intercooler setup with an open (or non existent, like in a diesel) throttle body, pressure will start building at the intake valves and back it's way up to the compressor. Any restrictions in flow will reduce the air speed and thus reduce the efficiency of the system.
              If the system has a charge air cooler, boost pressure will build initially in the charge cooler. This reduces the efficiency of the system until the cooler is able to absorb enough heat to maintain air density. It is best to run without an intercooler if your going to run less than 10psi of boost. The benefits of an intercooler, with most modern turbochargers, can only outweigh the pressure drop at charge pressures over 12psi (obviously this depends on cooler design and placement).
              Brian's intake manifold cooler is a good idea because the charge cooler is integrated into the plenum. You'd want to isolate the manifold from the head with a composite spacer to reduce heat transfer to the manifold.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

My question is, why go to all the trouble and cost of making the b3 into something it was never designed to be when you can drop the very worthy B6t in there and put all your savings into the rest of the car. I am just baffled. Sorry just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by azgtx View Post
                  My question is, why go to all the trouble and cost of making the b3 into something it was never designed to be when you can drop the very worthy B6t in there and put all your savings into the rest of the car. I am just baffled. Sorry just my opinion.
                  Moar power on boost, B3 NA gas mileage off boost.
                  Last edited by TominMO; 05-25-2016, 01:03 PM.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                    Moar power on boost, B3 NA gas mileage off boost.
                    But it's so terrible to drive on the highway. Lol. I'd rather sacrifice getting into the 40mpg range of it ment I could hold 70 in a head wind.

Comment

I can easily hold 70 mph even with a 30+ mph headwind and still accelerate. Bone stock NA b3 with a mild port and FPR. Boost just makes it more fun.
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I've thought about turbocharging a b3 a few times, but I know myself too well and a little more power is never enough. In the long run, putting a stronger engine in will save a lot of time, effort and money. These cars feel slow with 180ft.lbs of TQ when they are dialed in. 130ft.lbs is not exciting at all. Lol.
                        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                          I've thought about turbocharging a b3 a few times, but I know myself too well and a little more power is never enough. In the long run, putting a stronger engine in will save a lot of time, effort and money. These cars feel slow with 180ft.lbs of TQ when they are dialed in. 130ft.lbs is not exciting at all. Lol.
                          You sure have interesting problems! :-)
                          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

^Supercar killer world problems. lol
                            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I'm not trying to discourage the OP from his goals, but we've all read this book before. Most b3 turbos end up blown up and swapped for a bigger and stronger power plant. I don't know what the cost for a donor engine is in Australia, but here it's cheap enough to not bother with the b3 in the first place. Since Australia got more variety of B series engines than we did, I can't help but assume a donor engine is easier to locate than a box full of trick B3 turbo parts from the U.S. lol.
                              If your going to just weld a turbo to your manifold, plumb it real quick and go burn up your clutch then look up BUSTIVA's build or ZepTheChef built one like that too. You can turbo it in an afternoon and waste the clutch by morning. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by azgtx View Post
                                Since I will be doing all the work myself, and already have a b3 available, this is already the cheaper option for me, and the simple fact that almost all festiva engine swaps that i am aware of are b6's or something very similar, I have decided to not walk that path and be a little more adventurous. I appreciate your opinion very much.
                                Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X