No announcement yet.

Installing new rear struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My bolts all say "10" on them, that's all.

Tip #1: spray some white paint into the end of the axle beam, for better light reflectivity. It probably won't stay there long, but should help a lot compared to the general blackness in there. Might be able to prep it beforehand somewhat, with a wire brush or something.

Tip #2: One good suspect for the corrosion on the captive nut is those two access holes for the bottom two nuts on the brake backing plate. Try to find some rubber covers to pop into those holes, maybe at the hardware store. Ones like the hole covers in the spare tire well.

Tip #3: I used impact sockets, to take the strain off the edges of the bolt head and thusly help prevent rounding. Thanks for the tip John.
    Last edited by TominMO; 05-23-2010, 07:48 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
      I'll do that if I can gain access through or around the "wall" Tom described that is on Aspire axle beams. I went out and looked and saw what he meant. I'll see if I can drill a one inch hole somwhere to gain access, but I don't know where until I pull out my bare axle beam from under my tarp to see.

Karl
      Two possible reasons that wall is there:
      1. to strengthen the axle beam; or
      2. Koreans are evil.

I wonder if it's possible to get a nut into place somehow through the access holes for the lower backing plate nuts. Bubble gum on some sort of bendable material, like a coat hanger.

Edit: another idea: cut off the plate on the end of the axle beam. It appears to be there for strengthening. You can replace it with a grade 8 bolt, using three nuts to retain the reinforcing properties of the original piece. This will then give you greater access to that inner wall on the Aspire axle beam. You can then use a hole saw on it.
      Last edited by TominMO; 05-23-2010, 08:08 PM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, Tom.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Went out today to paint the inside of the passenger-side axle beam. I previously had bought a universal gun cleaning kit from The World of Wally ($8.00). I took one of the wire brushes for cleaning shotgun bores and screwed it onto one of the extension pieces. I then attached that to my portable drill and knocked off the loose stuff inside the axle. Then I squirted some white paint in there. Made a big difference: black reflectivity vs. white reflectivity. On the driver side I needed a flashlight to see what was going on in there. On this side there is absolutely no need for a flashlight.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

never had problems with this recently replaced both rear struts too, pb blaster and some tlc took car of it.
            91 red l-

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
              never had problems with this recently replaced both rear struts too, pb blaster and some tlc took car of it.
              Be thankful!
              That and sending money via paypal to me will continue your good fortune!
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Do they salt the roads where your car has been driven? You're lucky you had no problems with the captured nuts. My car has a little rust underneath, and both rear lower strut bolts were seized up bad. Still have to address the passenger-side bolt.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I've done the same thing Pb blaster and liquid wrench and they came off.
                  I bought my bolts and nuts from home cheapo and got KIA Rio back springs with KYB adjustable struts.
                  FORD BUILT TOUGH SINCE 1987-1993 FORD FESTIVA LX

Comment

1988redff wrote:

"I bought my bolts and nuts from home cheapo and got KIA Rio back springs with KYB adjustable struts."

Got any pictures? I'd like to see this! I've only matched Rio front struts to my Festivas. The rears looked totally different and unusable to me. What year did you get those rear springs, or shocks/struts from? This could be a big help to people!

Also, the nuts and bolts you got: did you check their strength ratings? I'd guess grades 8.8 and up, probably more like 10.9 or so would be safe. Less than 8.8 and I'd be concerned! Here's a link to a grade ratings chart from John which he posted here earlier:

Thanks,

Karl
                    Last edited by Safety Guy; 05-27-2010, 02:31 PM.

Comment

in my last note " I bought the struts off of a 1999 or 2000 not sure its been awhile right now i have my head stuck on the body work of the car. For this weekend under the hood of the car to change the engine to FI. Then a new tank and fuel pump...
                      FORD BUILT TOUGH SINCE 1987-1993 FORD FESTIVA LX

Comment

Was it a Spectra or Sephia? Rios weren't made until model year 2001.

Karl

Comment

Bolt thead pitch correction

I made a mistake in my first post in this thread. The actual thread pitch for the inner LCA bolts (and the lower rear strut bolts) is actually 10 x 1.25. The upper rear strut nuts (normal and flared) seem to be 10 x 1.5. You can either change the flare nut threads to 1.25 with a tap, or just buy another 1.25 nut (with a washer) at the hardware store or McParts store.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Ok, went for this and the head snapped right off the bolt at about...ohh....10 ft-lbs.

What now?

---bhazard
                            -Donny
                            -1992 Festiva GL
                            B6D/E-series.
                            -1991 GL
                            BP/Broken E-Series. Working on G transmission.

-2011 Mazdaspeed3

Comment

Originally posted by xaero_81 View Post
                              Ok, went for this and the head snapped right off the bolt at about...ohh....10 ft-lbs.

What now?
                              ---bhazard
                              I hacksawed my bolt off. Had to do it in three places, which sucked, but you should only have to do it twice; on both sides of the strut lower hole. Then pull the strut out, and maybe you can get the remaining bolt out of the captured nut in the axle.

To use the hacksaw, I had to take the blade off, then reassemble it inside the lower strut mount area. Do the side closest to the axle first; it might be all you need to do, to get the strut out.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Eh, we just pulled my whole beam out struts and all, and swapped his in with the aspire struts on it. He's gonna be aspire swapping so the broken bolts are no big deal.
                                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Working...
                                X