Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coil-overs from mk2-3 golf on festiva write up (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pineapplegti View Post
    I have a set of these laying around in the garage (real mk3 guys hate them)... i just need a festy to put them on. How many threads do you have left up front and rear ?
    For the rear there is more then enough threads left they hit the plastic cover and up from i would say 1cm+.

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
    POSTMAN! I ordered the Raceland setup and am going to do this as well. We needs zee updates!
    Ok as for updates i have been busy/lazy with these.

I found that the noise that you will hear in the rear will be from the top of the shock. The diameter is a tiny bit smaller so it rattles a bit nothing that bad. As for the bottom bolts they fit perfectly no chance for them to be causing all the noise i think.

The fronts took some time to get to right..

BP Festiva on MS2 with gsxr itbs Woot!!!

Comment

oh lol... i knew that you installed them correctly.. I meant how many threads of adjustment.. i wanna see these coils bottomed on your festy
      Autocratic...
      Buy these dope wheelshttp://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4193133

Comment

postman101, what program did you use for those graphics? Etch A Sketch? LOL
        Oscar

Comment

It is possible that your noise is coming thru where the strut rod bushing on the top mounts. if you look at the bushing closely there isnt much to center it in the hole in the tower/upper perch. i had a similar noise after i decided to replace my rear struts and springs. was like a chuckle/rattle over bumps. ended up fixing it by changing the top bushing to a cone shaped designed one which i slid on the strut first then installed it upwards to center the strut rod in the hole. havent had a problem since 8-9 years
          Tim
          '97 Aspire ST, UltraViolet Blue, 37k miles - New Storage Queen
          '03 SVT Lightning, Dark Shadow Gray, 30k miles - Storage Queen 11 months/year
          '95 SVT Aspire B3T, Green Mica, 75k miles - DD
          '01 ZX-500R, Violet Pearl/Gray, 5400 miles - Storage Queen
          '89 Suzuki FA50 Bright Red - Lake Transportation

Cardomain.com/id/aspiresvt

Previous Vehicles
          '92 Festiva L "Sport" Green Mica
          '92 Festiva GL Blue Pearl
          '92 Capri XR2 Performance Red

Comment

Originally posted by Pineapplegti View Post
            oh lol... i knew that you installed them correctly.. I meant how many threads of adjustment.. i wanna see these coils bottomed on your festy
            i think 2'' of adjustment so i could go 2'' lower lol.

Originally posted by perucho View Post
            postman101, what program did you use for those graphics? Etch A Sketch? LOL
            Its called paintbrush for mac and i think it works great lol.

Originally posted by Aspire SVT View Post
            It is possible that your noise is coming thru where the strut rod bushing on the top mounts. if you look at the bushing closely there isnt much to center it in the hole in the tower/upper perch. i had a similar noise after i decided to replace my rear struts and springs. was like a chuckle/rattle over bumps. ended up fixing it by changing the top bushing to a cone shaped designed one which i slid on the strut first then installed it upwards to center the strut rod in the hole. havent had a problem since 8-9 years
            I may have to look into this for the rear and see what i can do, but in the meantime i have a set of cam gears on the way can you say exintake.

Comment

My install is coming along nicely.

The fronts were cake, lined the bolt holes in the rear for the drilling, went in nice and snug with very little play (spindle)

Opened the strut hole a bit up top, everything there was kosher.

Doing the rears tonight.

Oh and installed new tie rods/pads/rotors/rebuilt the calipers up front as well (the real time sucker was the caliper rebuild)
              1989 Carby L: Stock. Slow.
              1998 Mustang Cobra: ported heads, cams, longtubes, 4.30 gears
              2016 Focus ST: daily driven go-kart

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                My install is coming along nicely.

The fronts were cake, lined the bolt holes in the rear for the drilling, went in nice and snug with very little play (spindle)

Opened the strut hole a bit up top, everything there was kosher.

Doing the rears tonight.

Oh and installed new tie rods/pads/rotors/rebuilt the calipers up front as well (the real time sucker was the caliper rebuild)
                Awesome! Any pictures throughout the process? Perhaps before and after's? The pictures I know people really want are stock height vs top/bottom of coilovers.
                1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
                  Awesome! Any pictures throughout the process? Perhaps before and after's? The pictures I know people really want are stock height vs top/bottom of coilovers.
                  unfortunately my festival was already lowered previously... no good before and afters

Comment

On another note, I am taking pics during the install, I'll post some.

Comment

Haha cool... look forward to it!
                      1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

first of all bra nice mod! do you have the part number so we can make sure we order the exact? hows the ride is it stiff, bouncy, soft...? i will take anything but bouncy or soft and bottoming out all the time. i have added this to my thread subscription (a.k.a. wish list )
                        -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                        -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

i know this is an old thread but i am still wondering about the ride quality of the suspension does anyone know? for the price and simple mod its a killer deal if it rides nice. anyone know?
                          -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                          -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

for those spring rates, i wouldn't expect a nice soft ride that's for sure

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Nope it's not soft at all but takes a corner like a champ! Plus I can easily put lower rate springs if I want.

Comment

if its stiff thats ok. but is it bouncy? the absorbers are made for those spring rates so it shouldnt be bouncy... right? i just know for the price of finding a full dampner kit the one you have is awesome! i have lowered almost every car i have owned and i havnt spent the money it takes to get a "great" ride out of it, the ride has usually been stiff so im ok with that i just dont want it to be bouncy stiff is good in my opinion
                                Last edited by bobbyspider; 03-11-2011, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X