Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coil-overs from mk2-3 golf on festiva write up (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For comparison, Nate used 150# springs in front and 125# in the rear for his coil over setup.

I would be leery of going over 200 front and 175 rear for street use, but anything less than the Rokkor 350/300 should be an improvement! I guess you want some higher spring rates if the Rokkor bodies are valved for 350/300, otherwise you'd be seriously overdamped.

I'm still trying to figure out how I wish to go if and when I do coil overs.

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 03-12-2011, 06:43 AM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

i wish i lived closer to the postman so i could take a ride. i seriously dont mind stiff (beats bottoming out and major body roll) i just dont want the ride to be bouncy
      -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
      -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Looks like the Racelands have 350 front and 250 rear spring rates, might be a little better than the 380/300 for street use. Don't suppose anyone has any experience with them?
        '89 MX-6 GT, 2560R
        '91 Miata MSPNP 2871R B6T
        '93 Festiva B6T

Comment

^ good question do you have a link to the product?
          -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
          -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

I will say one thing i do catch air in my seat when i hit the big bumps lol. I am trying to upload a in car video driving with the coil-overs.
            BP Festiva on MS2 with gsxr itbs Woot!!!

Comment

mine are not fancy dual rates but ive got 350f/300r springs and they are brutal at times!! my back and neck have taken a beating form it!

88 festiva lx, 2.3 turbo rwd swap in progress
              1999.5 f-350 4x4 7.3 gtp38r 5" exhaust ect.
              R.i.p. 1990 Western Star 5964s 3406b 530whp (4.2mpg!)
              00' western star flat top ex, 600hp 6nz 2250tq, 18918b, 3.55, full lockers, 6" straight pipes
              03' gt, full termi swap 700+ whp build

sponsered by,
              pam pam's junk, dayton OR.
              Bob's ok tires, salem OR.
              Clausen Truckin', keizer OR.

Comment

Comment

Comment

A quick comment from the peanut gallery - spring rate "feel" (as in ride quality) has a lot to do with the amount of weight on those springs. A stock festy with 350/300 will probably ride like a rock. A festiva with an extra 300+ pounds of BP, G25, turbo, etc. will ride quite different on the same spring rate.
                    Additionally, the unsprung weight (hubs, rotors, calipers, wheels, tires) will greatly affect suspension feel too. A stock festiva with stock wheels has as lot less mass there than someone with the aspire swap and 14" wheels with 205 tires on them, weighing more than twice stock.

Basically, I'm just saying be careful on comparing apples and oranges... when I finish installing my BP and G25 I'll be updating my suspension as well, with some heavier springs (around 325/225) with appropriate adjustable dampers... I'll get around to a writeup once thats done in a month or two
                    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyspider View Post
                      ^ good question do you have a link to the product?
                      Here: http://www.racelandus.com/p-57-coilo...sat-b3-b4.aspx

Also, does anyone know how the VW Golf MK1 front stuts fit?

-Travis
                      '89 MX-6 GT, 2560R
                      '93 Festiva B6T

Comment

^ nice and nice price. where did you read the spring rate on the page? yea id like to know about the mk1 struts also because id think the spring rate would be a little less

Comment

duh :tard: never mind its rite there in front of me ha ha

i wonder if they will let you mix and mach with the springs? i think ill call and ask.
                          Last edited by bobbyspider; 03-18-2011, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Yeah, might be a pretty good setup, and the price is right. And if enough people are interested I'm sure they'd be able to work with us on mixing and matching.
                            '89 MX-6 GT, 2560R
                            '93 Festiva B6T

Comment

Originally posted by STravisVrooman View Post
                              Yeah, might be a pretty good setup, and the price is right. And if enough people are interested I'm sure they'd be able to work with us on mixing and matching.

well i checked today and its a no go on the mix and match for spring rates. but all in all its looks like a good deal. as im looking at postmans vids it doesnt look like a verry bad ride at all not too bouncy at all and in my opinion with any kind of aftermarket springs you stand a chance of getting some air in off your seat by hitting a big enough bump or you just going to bottom out like crazy. i used to have a tercel with dropzone springs and kybs, you could barely move it when pushing down on the car, wasnt too bouncy and it was more on the rough side and didnt mind it. but one day while racing this gtp in philly he hit the breaks and backed off and i didnt, hit a bump and sent me flyin pretty good when i landed it blew every fuse in my car ahhh good times. then the gtp rolled by me giving me the middle finger. sorry just thought id share that. the raceland springs seem to have a slightly lower spring rate so maybe ill try them out.

Comment

I'll be purchasing the raceland setup towards the end of April. If you get them and have them installed before then please let me know what you think.

1993 Ford Festiva L ($650)
                                Mazda 1.8L BP - PaceSetter Header (in progress)
                                Aspire Swap - 15x6.5 wheels, 205/50/15 tires
                                >> Photo Album <<

Comment

Working...
                                X