No announcement yet.

Aftermarket Rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driver, please direct to a site that carries that size, i can't find any 55s, but i CAN find 60s
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Seems even 60s are getting hard to find. 2 real brands left that I can find online. Can't even find name brand all season 185/55/14s anymore. Gonna have to start ordering from the Philippines, or go 15s or bigger just to be able to get tires it seems. Or down to 13s, I guess, but who wants that?
      Last edited by sketchman; 02-09-2013, 12:30 PM.
      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Will 185/60/14 work for me or no?
        91' Festiva GL Auto EFI--- BP swapped, G-Series swap in the works.
        Adjustable VW MK2 front suspension and Aspire disc brakes
        Aspire rear axle and drum swapped with adjustable KYB rear suspension

LOOKING FOR RUST FREE SHELL IN CALIFORNIA

Comment

i run that size with 14x6 +35mm offset.... the fender lips must be rolled flat to keep from rubbing, but it works for me.

on a stock festy though, i'd go with the 165/60/14... better fitment and no fender mods needed
          Last edited by FestYboy; 02-11-2013, 12:22 AM.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Craigs list and Ebay really.

Comment

Re: Aftermarket Rims

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              Driver, please direct to a site that carries that size, i can't find any 55s, but i CAN find 60s
              Sure thing, man! Ebay has Federal Formoza FD1's in that size(http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...assified=false) , and there are two other places (Group Buy Tires and AVN Motorsports) that carry them, all for about $85/tire shipped.
              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

How will 185/65's work? I'm guessing that those are getting to be on the side of requiring more work if they're even possible to fit?

Comment

Should i go with the 165's or the 185's cuz i can find some of each but im just not sure which to get

Comment

the 165s will be wasier to fit and closer to the stock rolling diameter. the 185/60s will fit but fender mods and possible spacers will be needed. the 185/65s will be even worse than the 185/60s

Comment

a few things reading this thread; federal law limits the change in tire diameter to +3% from nominal OE. 155/80R/12 tires have a 21.76 inch diameter, so that is the smallest legal diameter, with the maximum being 22.42 inch. Now, that doesn't mean you'll be stopped and ticketed for slightly different size tires. What it means is that if you are in an accident, you could be held responsible for altering the vehicle outside of safe limits. Not preaching, just informing.

Now, my tire guy, Kevin Rohlwing from the Tire Industry Assocoation (http://www.tireindustry.org/contact.asp), tells me that 13" and 14" tires are on their way out. Doesn't expect too many sizes to be offered after this year. He strongly suggested I not bother with anything smaller than a 15". We found 185/55/15 to be the closest commonly available size, comparable to the diameter of a 12" tire.
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Oh boy... What are we all gonna do then after they discontinue our tires?? and i figured the 65's were too big to fit. Thanks for the info about the Tires being legally too bug, but wouldnt it be possible to be held responsible for altering the vehicle outside of safe limits. switching engines, transmissions, suspension, and brakes?

Comment

Originally posted by FB71 View Post
                          tells me that 13" and 14" tires are on their way out. Doesn't expect too many sizes to be offered after this year. He strongly suggested I not bother with anything smaller than a 15". We found 185/55/15 to be the closest commonly available size, comparable to the diameter of a 12" tire.
                          That REALLY sucks. 14s are a perfect DD middle ground size on these cars. But I guess the OEMs going 15s and up sealed our fates. I guess when your average "econo" car off the line these days has 15s, we should have seen it coming. Still sucks.
                          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Re: Aftermarket Rims

Wait, no way... There are still a lot of cars on the road with 14" tire sizes out here. Industry is going to force thousands of people to use larger wheels, thus adding weight and making the car take longer to stop? I'm tired of hearing this stuff (fact or not)! Hell, my Saturn uses 14" tires! Now I'm just mad. I'm just trying to get by, but no! Micro cars have to have friggin' Dubs stock now, and so when do I have to take my two mint Festivas to the crusher after I've cut the fenders all to hell trying to keep up? I didn't want to get rid of my Enkeis either, and now I've got to spend yet another thousand just getting rims and tires that aren't phased out!
                            In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                            There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Aftermarket Rims

Here, no new cars (save the select few like Mitsubishi miev.. not really a car anyways) come with less than 15" wheels.

The Festiva in original form was built in other countries until '02 or something and even today Sapia is producing a spin off. Kei cars and other European small cars still use 12"s so I'm sure they're not going out of production any time soon. Not to say how hard, or expensive, it will be to get your paws on some.
                              -Zack
                              Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

I read here that a lot of you are worrying about 12", 13" and 14" tires being phased out. Hate to break it to you but when I talked to some wheel manufacturers recently a few of them said that the wheel industry is moving towards making larger wheels these days. Look at many after-market wheel manufacturing sites (or wheel outlet sites) and take a look at how many 13", 14" and 15" wheels there are compared to 16" and up. That's the direction the after-market businesses are going.

In my opinion, even factory-new cars are being made with larger wheels these days. I was at a Ford dealer yesteray checking out paint colors and noticed a used Smart For-two (the tiny, tiny 2-seat car popular in Europe) on the lot. When I checked the tires the rears were 195-50-15. Yes, 15s.
                                Last edited by Twistiva; 02-12-2013, 10:36 AM.
                                88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
                                88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
                                91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
                                93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

Working...
                                X