Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your thoughts on just running the Rear setup for a while? Race Car on a budget and all... My thoughts are possible runs this rear setup for better handling and to lower the rear some to level the ride hide. Good Idea? Bad Idea?
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

• I'm running just rears 120 springs and adjusters all the way up its still about 2 inches lower than stock. But handles good rides good I say go for it

Comment

• Yeah, I see no problem with that.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• When installing the rears, do you use the top spring hats that came with the coilover sleeve kit or the ones that came with the hottuning coilovers? Or do you just buy a different set?
          1992 White Festiva GL Sport AKA Project "Spud Missle"

Comment

• Originally posted by Wimp View Post
            When installing the rears, do you use the top spring hats that came with the coilover sleeve kit or the ones that came with the hottuning coilovers? Or do you just buy a different set?
            Look at my pictures. I think i showed excatly how mine were done.
            1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
            1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
            1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
            19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
            1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

• look at page 1 and its the last couple pictures. You will see excatly how i did mine. Mine have been doing great.
              1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
              1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
              1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

• Hey Mike was wondering if I were to put 2 12in subs in the back would I need the 105 or the 120 should I just go 120 to be safe?
                Last edited by Ljh8394; 09-20-2016, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• How substantial is the box? And what do you need 2 12s for in a car that has the same cabin space as most full sized car's trunks? 1 good 8 in the right box will drive you out of the car.

Besides, this thread is about improving the handling and adding weight is a step in the wrong direction.
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

• I went 120 in the rear because i plan to tow around a bike from time to time. I have a single 10 in lucifer and its more then enough. I have had big giant systems in the past. A couple minutes and they just hurt your head. In the festiva you are so close to the sub you dont need a bunch.

When lucifer is back on the road i might even take the sub out. I want to room and the light weight in the rear. Sub is nice but normal radio is just fine as well.

Back to your question. If you must run 2 12" subs in the rear then you want 120 for sure. If you already have the 2 12"s try to trade them off for one nice high end 10. a good 10 sounds so much better in a small space then a 12 IMHO
                    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

• I have 120 with a gutted car it rides firm . And I blamed it on the light rear and stiffer then stock springs. But after driving a car with 120 rear 200 front. I'm certain it's the vw rears shock valving. The other can I drove road much smother with stock aspire struts. . But I think my car has slightly better handling with less body role due to the shorter vw shocks. Now remember I was just cursing threw town not throwing it around on the track. But yo answer you question 120 will be a good fit. Even for a loaded down car

Comment

• Thank you! Just trying to figure stuff out before I drop more then what I bought the car for into it lol. Mine is gutted also just carpet, dash, and 2 front seats. If it makes that much of a difference I will for sure look into a 10 or 8 again thank you guys!

Comment

• 120 works well!
                          1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

• Originally posted by Ljh8394 View Post
                            Thank you! Just trying to figure stuff out before I drop more then what I bought the car for into it lol. Mine is gutted also just carpet, dash, and 2 front seats. If it makes that much of a difference I will for sure look into a 10 or 8 again thank you guys!
                            Research a transmission line box for your 8 or 10... They get loud and low.
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

• Can someone elaborate a little bit more on the washers in the rear and their purpose. I think I've read over this a dozen times and I can't quite make sense of what they're doing. I haven't taken apart my rear to see why yet but I plan on installing the rear tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by dliverance View Post
                                Can someone elaborate a little bit more on the washers in the rear and their purpose. I think I've read over this a dozen times and I can't quite make sense of what they're doing. I haven't taken apart my rear to see why yet but I plan on installing the rear tomorrow.
                                Put the washers on the long side of the lower mount and face that side towards the wheel. This all works to help space the shock away from the tire to provide more clearance. This will make sense when you go to put it together.
                                Last edited by Advancedynamix; 09-21-2016, 09:17 PM.
                                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
                                X