No announcement yet.

quick ratio steering rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I removed the u-joint from the column and then removed it from the rack on my workbench. Reinstalled to the new rack and the had someone on the inside feed it through the firewall while I installed the rack.
    I did happen to have the column out (loosened, not removed) already to change the pedal assembly to add a clutch. The column is pretty simple to loosen, but not sure it is required to change the rack.
    I never had to mess with the boot.
    Last edited by Skrapbob; 12-13-2016, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skrapbob View Post
      I removed the u-joint from the column and then removed it from the rack on my workbench. Reinstalled to the new rack and the had someone on the inside feed it through the firewall while I installed the rack.
      I did happen to have the column out (loosened, not removed) already to change the pedal assembly to add a clutch. The column is pretty simple to loosen, but not sure it is required to change the rack.
      I never had to mess with the boot.
      thanks man

Comment

Originally posted by 2festi View Post
        awesome info here.
        will report back with the aussie version.
        wb 1.3 no ps 4 turns lock to lock.
        wd 1.5 ps 3 turns lock to lock.
        fitting the wd ps to the wb.
        To add to this, mazda DW 121 PS rack is 3 turns lock to lock.
        I havent fitted to my DA 121 yet, but turning the shaft by hand it feels very light - ie. Unpowered DW rack feels lighter than the DA manual rack

Also, some later model Mazda 2 (Demio/DE/2011ish) have an electric powered steering rack, would be interesting to see if they would bolt in.

Comment

Looks like O'Reilly Auto has the Festy PS rack for ~$150 remanufactured.
          Line: MPP | Part # 101-0159
          A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
          Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

does anyone have the actual steering ratio for all of these?

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
              Finally got my hands on a rio rack over the weekend. Here's the updated measurements list.

................Ratio (in/rev) Throw
              Festiva (manual) 1.310” 4.34”

Festiva (power) 1.645” 4.34”

Aspire (manual) 1.310” 4.83”

03 Kia Rio (power) 1.555” 5.28"

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Comment

I saw that. I'm asking if anyone has this steering ratio

"A steering ratio of x:y means that a turn of the steering wheel x degree(s) causes the wheel(s) to turn y degree(s). In most passenger cars, the ratio is between 12:1 and 20:1. For example, if one complete turn of the steering wheel, 360 degrees, causes the wheels to turn 24 degrees, the ratio is then 360:24 = 15:1."

Comment

If you can find one for Festiva stock rack, I'm sure the geometry won't be too different that you can't derive then new ratio. Why do you need to know?

Comment

We've just been going with overall turns lock to lock.
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by dliverance View Post
                      I saw that. I'm asking if anyone has this steering ratio

"A steering ratio of x:y means that a turn of the steering wheel x degree(s) causes the wheel(s) to turn y degree(s). In most passenger cars, the ratio is between 12:1 and 20:1. For example, if one complete turn of the steering wheel, 360 degrees, causes the wheels to turn 24 degrees, the ratio is then 360:24 = 15:1."
                      That changes based on the knuckle you're running. The stock knuckle has the OTR boss closer than, say, an aspire knuckle. I think Rio and aspire knuckles are the same, but some folks run capri knuckles and they may be different. There have been a few other knuckle swaps as well.

So it's just easier to measure at the rack, to avoid the knuckle issue all together.
                      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

• Thank you guys.

Comment

• According to Dragonhealer, the Rio's steering arm is shorter than the Aspire. I think he's talking about 03-05. The Festiva arm is the shortest that I've seen.
                          The Capri turbo and non turbo have the exact same knuckle from what I've seen. This knuckle has a longer ball joint to hub centerline dimension. Basically, the Capri knuckle works like a drop spindle.
                          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Sorry for the derail, but on that note, what knuckle would raise the car the most for more ground clearance without suspension geometry change?

Comment

• Nothing exists that can act like that. The Festiva knuckle hub to ball joint measurement is as close as you can get without interfering with the CV joint. To raise the car without changing the geometry, the hub and ball joint would have to move closer together.
                              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

• I smell plans for custom work

Comment

Working...
                                X