No announcement yet.

My first engine swap build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes, O2 sensors do have a finite lifespan. Typical lifespan is 100k-150k miles. The B3 sensor should be identical to B6.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

have a b6k1 ecm for it yet? Keep up the good work!
      ---------------------------------------------------
      The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
      ---------------------------------------------------
      BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Yes I do, dont remind me.

sigpic
        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

i need to change my wifes O2 sensor, but i'm not sure how to even get to it. theres not really enough room to get in the there with the engine in.

Comment

Well I went and did it, I added it all up, now Im depressed. The price tag so far with out wheels and tires, rear strut boots, rear wheel bearings, and numerous misc. other things I cant think of off hand. I counted nothing for my labor. I rounded the receipt prices to the nearest dollar.

sigpic

Comment

hey, you've spent $1800 for a practically brand new car the way your building it! and its way cooler than any new car you could buy--with a few exceptions-- but none for anywhere near $1800. :lol:
              89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
              92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
              New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by cubstiva1 View Post
                i need to change my wifes O2 sensor, but i'm not sure how to even get to it. theres not really enough room to get in the there with the engine in.
                which vehical?
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                  which vehical?
                  the LX that i just painted, i've got a light on, on my dash. i think its the sensor.

Comment

Marcus!

So you're spending money for a nice, freshly rebuilt car with larger engine, better mpg and performance (due to the 5 speed swap), built the way you want it, DONE RIGHT, better handling, etc. and SURPRISE!!: you have to spend some money.

Where can you get this car new right now?

NOWHERE.

Where can you get one that matches its economical combination of performance, handling and mileage?

NOWHERE.

Something that comes close (Aveo, Fix, Yaris) would cost you at least $10,000 and would get maybe 40mpg tops.

The closest thing would be an older Echo for perhaps $3-5K. but you'd then still have to work on it and fix some minor stuff probably.

I paid $190 for my '92L with 69K miles. It didnt' run. By the time I spent money on a technician to troubleshoot the starting problem, a new windshield, a new gas tank and many fuel system lines, I was over $1100. Add my new 12" tires just before winter, and that comes to over $1200 (but these little tires are for future projects when I do the suspension swap, so they're more like "accessories").

I bought Luxstiva, my '93 GL auto (about 168K miles then), off a dealer for $600 back around '03. Now, after engine and suspension swaps and other stuff, I have over $3000 in her.

These two run pretty well, are very reliable and cost me a total of under $5000 including tires and some other things.

For many folks, that's barely a year of car payments! My average monthly upkeep probably works out to well under $100. Now figure I save lots of $$ on basic insurance (no collision) and worst case mpgs of 25 mpg (my auto with a heavy foot).

I can't believe people would spend over $500 per month for a car costing over $20K, but many do. And then they pay lotsa $$ for heavy insurance to cover the worth of the expen$ive car, plus horrible to so-so fuel economy.

Then they have to take it somewhere to get fixed when it goes bad!

I could go on...

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

• ^^amen! you said it better than me... :lol:
                      89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
                      http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
                      92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
                      New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

Comment

• Guess you're right Karl. Thanks for the perspective. About ready to drop the motor in. Still got to splice the injector harness and add a bracket or two.

sigpic

Comment

• that motor look great.
                          Going old school...

89L Carby FIDO, previously owned by FestivaFred

Comment

• Awesome job with the engine fresh, looks new except for that oil filter.
                            Steve GT

Comment

• that exhaust cover looks carzy new good job!!!!

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                              1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

• Originally posted by CHills View Post
                                Awesome job with the engine fresh, looks new except for that oil filter.

Ha, youd think after all the parts Ive bought I would have got a new oil filter wouldnt you ? ME >>>> fftheair:
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X