No announcement yet.

Aaron's Festiva Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before - left, and after - right. Just gotta get the exhaust to bolt up to the larger exhaust housing and we're good to go. Routing the coolant and oil lines was a lot trickier than expected... for the oil lines, the VJ14 stuff bolted right up... but for the coolant, we had to layer some hosing because of the different sizes and the stock stuff wouldn't bolt up because the sizes were wonky. Got it going though successfully!

Wideband, boost, and EGT gauges have been ordered. Got a little surprise setup that'll be coming sooner or later for you guys involving the dash clock setup and some fun little extras here and there! Also gonna try and relocate my cigarette lighter if I get a chance too.
    Last edited by Aaronbrook37; 10-10-2012, 12:47 PM.
    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

• Are you doing a hybrid setup?

If so, In for a writeup on how to do one!

Also why so much struggle for the water lines? just go buy some new turbro fittings and hose at your local ricer shop. I got blue silicone high temp stuff looks gangster didn't cost me more then 30$ and it was done right.

Comment

• Originally posted by festyfreak39 View Post
        Are you doing a hybrid setup?

If so, In for a writeup on how to do one!

Also why so much struggle for the water lines? just go buy some new turbro fittings and hose at your local ricer shop. I got blue silicone high temp stuff looks gangster didn't cost me more then 30$ and it was done right.
        I did the full VJ11 swap because boost lag doesn't bother me much or a late spool with the plans I have for driving her and running the motor the way it is. The only other major issue if you don't hybrid is that it'll throw off your downpipe severely to the point where it likely will require you to redesign your exhaust system slightly.

The water pipes sucked because the hoses on the VJ11 center section vs the ones on the B6T block are very different in size. As such, we had to put together some multi-layer clamped hoses that could fit the larger and the smaller sizes. The VJ14 coolant pipes wouldn't bolt onto the VJ11 as I thought they might, but the VJ14 oil drain bolted right onto the VJ11 with zero issues at all.

The final issue with the full VJ11 swap is that the wastegate rubs against a coolant pipe and or the block when you put it on, but I have yet to know if it will cause any serious issues or not. Here are some updated pics from painting and working on the exterior a little bit. I still have more sanding to do on the sides, but its getting there slowly:

Comment

• I was just doing a quick re-cap on how far this car has come in the past couple years, and thought I'd do a quick Cardomain style resume on the car and the various things you'll find in this thread or on my car. Let me know if you have any questions about any of the modifications and I'll be happy to help out!

Current:

323GT B6T Engine Swap
          2.5” Exhaust with Cat, Muffler, Resonator
          1JZ Intercooler with 2” Piping and T-Bolts
          K&N Air Filter with Ported Air Box
          VJ11 Turbo Swap
          KYB GR-2 Shocks and Struts
          Street Coilovers with 175/150lb 8” Springs
          5/8” Rear Threaded Sway-Rod
          25mm Front Control Arm Brace
          26mm Aspire Front Sway-Bar
          Aspire Brake Upgrade and Trailing Beam
          185/60-14 Tires and 14x5 Steelies

Awaiting Install/Shipping:

Manual Boost Controller
          Eclipse BOV
          CorkSport Chipped ECU to handle 16 PSI of Boost
          Downpipe Header Heat Wrap
          Honda VX Rims and 185/60-13 Tires
          New Tie Rods, Control Arms, and Balljoints
          Moog Control Arm Bushings
          Wideband, EGT, and Boost Gauges with Datalogger

Still To Come:

Teflon IM and TB Gaskets
          Ported and Polished B6T Cylinder Head
          Ported B6T Intake Manifold
          SR20DE 60mm Throttle Body
          Energy Suspension Swaybar Retainer Bushings
          Custom Front Strut Brace
          Kia Rio Top Strut Mounts

Comment

• I like your build, its going to be quick and fun but not be outrageously inconvenient... When i first got my festiva turbo'd its mostly just a stock car with suspension and a b6 twin cam turbo motor.

Now i want to build a beast :|

Comment

• Aaron, are you running the rear Aspire beam, which has a sway bar built in, AND the threaded rod?

Sent from somewhere west of here!
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada
              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

• Originally posted by festyfreak39 View Post
                I like your build, its going to be quick and fun but not be outrageously inconvenient... When i first got my festiva turbo'd its mostly just a stock car with suspension and a b6 twin cam turbo motor.

Now i want to build a beast :|
                It's a lot of fun now for sure. Very practical under 3000RPM to say the least... and when it does build boost, she really flies to say the least. Still a few minor issues here and there, but no more fluid or boost leaks makes Aaron very happy.

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                Aaron, are you running the rear Aspire beam, which has a sway bar built in, AND the threaded rod?

Sent from somewhere west of here!
                Indeed I am! It helps counteract the front swaybar quite nicely and aids with turn-in. The underside of my car is braced to the max using factory mounting points.

Comment

• So a lot of big news and changes happening soon: the head gasket is blown, the tires are ordered, and the wideband with gauge and datalogger is in the mail. IM Teflon gasket is being designed at the moment, R&D is happening on the throttle body, and I'm ordering some tools to port and polish a spare head and intake manifold. Corksport ECU still needs to go in as well now that the VJ11 and fuel pump are both installed, along with a blow off valve and a boost controller of course for good measure. Big things will be happening soon, that's for sure!

By this time next month, I should finally have a reliable decent-looking car ready for FOTM!

Comment

• Good to see some progress, is the corksport ecu still available? i never heard of it... what are they worth?

Comment

• I don't think they are... I got it used off a guy from ClubProtege. It's my understanding that they are very similar to the Reich Racing and Rocketman options (the latter being still available). I didn't pay very much for it... got a lucky break I guess. Accomplishes the same effect... fuel good til 16-18psi and richens it up a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
                        So a lot of big news and changes happening soon: the head gasket is blown, the tires are ordered, and the wideband with gauge and datalogger is in the mail. IM Teflon gasket is being designed at the moment, R&D is happening on the throttle body, and I'm ordering some tools to port and polish a spare head and intake manifold. Corksport ECU still needs to go in as well now that the VJ11 and fuel pump are both installed, along with a blow off valve and a boost controller of course for good measure. Big things will be happening soon, that's for sure!

By this time next month, I should finally have a reliable decent-looking car ready for FOTM!
                        Update... because of low compression and some pesky ring issues, we're going to build up a new bottom end for the motor. MX-3 sourced 9:1 compression short block with new gaskets and water pump / timing belt/ etc. Then we'll slap a ported and polished head on it and throw it into the car. Stay tuned!

Comment

• 14Point7 SLC Pure Plus 2 Wideband Controller with auxiliary gauge and EGT/Boost/Vac. Gonna install it in the stock dash clock location for that super sleeper look!

Comment

• ooOoo, where'd you find that?
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

• Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                              ooOoo, where'd you find that?
                              http://www.14point7.com/ Lots of groovy little toys that aren't too pricey for what they are. Datalogger, USB compatibility, and a handful of expansion gauges/sensors for the future!

Comment

• that is awesome thanks for the link!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X