• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaron's Festiva Build Thread

I think I know what could solve the problem **cough**KL**cough**

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

• Chris seems to have the flu. I knew he was sick. Lol.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• throw in a catch can, my car was like this at first aswell till i threw one in.

Comment

• Originally posted by festyfreak39 View Post
          throw in a catch can, my car was like this at first aswell till i threw one in.
          I had a ton of fun making this piece today.

It seems to be working thus far... we'll see if the blue smoke is reduced tomorrow during daylight as a result. I basically picked up a few cheap parts and whipped together a very basic and temporary catch can til I can get something fancier hooked up.

1. Took a stainless steel water bottle and drilled two 1/2" holes - one on either side.

2. Bored out each hole with a dremel and sanding stone to fit a 3/8" barbed pipe fitting.

3. Inserted fittings using liquid metal filler compound inside, outside, and on threads.

4. Ran 1/2" hose from the valve cover and 3/8" to the catch can split in the middle while clamped.

5. Ran 3/8"/1/2" double hose from catch can to the PCV valve and then 3/8" to the intake manifold vacuum line.

6. Stuffed with stainless steel spiral pot scrubbers that won't fall apart or rust on me to capture oil vapors.
          Last edited by Aaronbrook37; 01-14-2013, 12:27 AM.
          1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

• There are 2 bungs coming out of the valve cover, id honestly run both to atmosphere. Thats how i have all my stuff done. Both miata's, and festivas

Comment

• ^ What he said.

Julian, just noticed your aluminum air shielding in front of your radiator, apparently it's quite a hit with the ladies???? Lol.

Also, on the B6D/T/ZE block there is a 5/8" bung off the back of the block. Mine is vented to my air/oil separator. The separator is vented to atmosphere and drains back into the pan.
              Last edited by Advancedynamix; 01-14-2013, 02:06 AM.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Here you can see the air oil separator on the passenger side of the firewall. The vent hose out the top just vents inside my inner fender.

The hose going out the transmission side of the valve cover to the intake hose is plugged and just there to maintain an OEM appearance for now. On my new engine this hose will be routed to the air box.
                Last edited by Advancedynamix; 01-14-2013, 02:17 AM.

Comment

• ^^Boom thats the best way to do it,

Ive always wondered what i could use that bung for. Also not all of the blocks have that bung, some engines do and some don't. Haven't found a pattern though. Ive blown up enough of them to have a nice collection in my shed. I reused the dumb little rubber cap in one of my coolant reroutes.

haha nice someone noticed the writing Charlie, When i roll this thing out of the trailer my buddies are all like "ohh decide to bring the rusty turd reserve rocket?" and ill be all like "broyah, ladiesluvvvit." If you look in the road racing thread my lip also has "poon" in vinyl on it. i also have a public female restroom door vinyl sticker on my drivers side door.

Comment

• Advance, that is one sharp looking engine bay!
                    -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                    Random Festiva Parts
                    Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

• +1 for restroom stickers on driver's doors.

and +1 for almost psychotically clean engine bays...
                      1993 Festiva L "Wendy" BP n' stuff
                      2013 Mazdaspeed 3 "The Kraken" -Stock.

Dave Forget

Comment

• Ford Oxford White Valve Cover. Third incarnation of this motor. Matches the exterior and interior colour of the car. Was inspired by what Charlie posted!

Comment

• Looks slick!
                          -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                          Random Festiva Parts
                          Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

• so aaron, did you figure out the oil burning problem was that it?

Comment

• Originally posted by festyfreak39 View Post
                              so aaron, did you figure out the oil burning problem was that it?
                              Still smoking a little bit. Today or tomorrow I'm going to pull off the intercooler charge pipe and see if there's another puddle in the compressor. I've been running it like this to let the rest of what was stuck in the intercooler drain out and burn. I stuffed some old pajama pants well into the end tanks on the intercooler and sucked most of it up though. If there's another puddle, we still need a turbo rebuild/swap. If the pipes and turbo are dry, it's just working its way out of the system still and we've cured it via crankcase ventilation. There seems to be a great deal of blue smoke on the highway still, but it's relatively calm in the city. The back of my car has been so ridiculously dirty lately from all the crap coming out. One thing that the PCV work DID solve was it eliminated entirely the whitish/bluish smoke from startup. There used to be an absolute ton and it's all gone now.

Comment

• Got some great practice porting and polishing my old VJ14 turbo's O2 housing. An hour or so of work, but a fair bit of fun to be honest. I'm going to be doing a spare exhaust manifold, VJ11 O2 housing, intake manifold, and possibly cylinder head as well all myself. This was just to learn what it's like working with carbide bits, sanding rocks, and my new electrical die grinder. I'm going to get some flapper wheels to get a mirror finish on it, and hot tank it with all of my other parts once they're shipped and labored upon. Hopefully I can sell this one off or donate it to someone with a stock turbo B6T looking for a little extra airflow. I'm obviously no expert on porting, but it's definitely a job everyone should try out!

Last edited by Aaronbrook37; 01-17-2013, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X