My vacation project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
    Get a 3M Eraser wheel to put in your 3/8 drill. They look just those big tan pure gum rubber pencil erasers you use for art class. They're solid gum rubber - about 4" diameter & 1/2" thick. They are the best I have found for removing stripes & graphics. They'll remove the stripes AND the left over adhesive. I did both sides of my F250 which was covered in advertisements in 1 afternoon. You could take those Festiva stripes off in about 20min per side. Follow up with some "goo-gone" and a shop towel and you're done! Here's a link, just so you know what it looks like. I got mine at a local Auto Body Supply house for like $30.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydep...temno=MMM+7498

Thanks a lot thats some good info !!
    sigpic
    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by freshtiva View Post
      Okay Im at the " Sorry I ever started this project " stage.

Axle boots bad, LCA bad, struts bad, tie rod end bad, steering rack boots bad, sway bar bushings bad, etc. Going to have to make a list and check my parts inventory .

Ka Ching !!!

looks about as bad as mine, except for the cv axles, i have replaced them. Good thing for me is mine isn't a daily driver. I may drive it once a month or more for only about a 10 mile round trip, so not really a big safety issue.

'89 Ford Festiva LX :fred:
      '12 Ford Focus

Comment

Day two, bad motor out, Jerry pushed back, Booger moved up. Ordered some parts. Break time for a ice cold Bud light with lime( wrench lube 8^) )

sigpic

Comment

looks like its going good so far (aside from the junk lca's and such) I just pulled the motor out of my new festy "mint" and i gotta ask you..... is it easier taking the engine out with a hoist or by brute strength? lol

i really gotta buy a hoist
          1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

Comment

Originally posted by ckiesman View Post
            i gotta ask you..... is it easier taking the engine out with a hoist or by brute strength? lol
            Beats me, Im working without brains or brute strength.
            sigpic

Comment

Sweet project Marcus, if only I could use booger as a B6T donor car, I love the colors.
              -Josh R

Comment

Originally posted by 91blufestiva View Post
                Sweet project Marcus, if only I could use booger as a B6T donor car, I love the colors.
                Booger would make someone a very good shell. Once I got under it I discovered it is in better shape than Jerry. It looks like new underneath, Unfortunately there is the registration problem, what a shame ! Ill get some pics of the differences later.

Day Three : ( mowed all day yesterday )

Good motor removed from booger and swinging free. Man this solo wrench work is hard on an old blind man with broke up knuckles. Id pay someone wage just to hand me things. The getting up and down is wearing on me. Back out to put tires on booger and roll it out of the garage. Hopefully will gain enough room to get the other cars back inside. They been airing out for the past three days.

sigpic

Comment

Marcus if you need any help your not to far. Don't think I'm doing tomorrow (pending approval of the wife) work this weekend though. I wouldn't mind helping one bit just let me know.
                  91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Originally posted by ericsmith32 View Post
                    Marcus if you need any help your not to far. Don't think I'm doing tomorrow (pending approval of the wife) work this weekend though. I wouldn't mind helping one bit just let me know.
                    Hey thanks a lot Eric !! Im at a stopping point right now though. I was told the steering racks boots would take 9-12 days for delivery plus other parts Im waiting on. I noticed the brake lines on Booger are like new while Jerrys lines are rusty. Guess Im going to have to do a brake line swap while Im waiting. Jerrys lines are esp bad where they pass under the cross member. Been holding dirt and moisture in there. Id better do that before I put the motor in. Also going to have to take a better look at the front cross member mounting spots on Jerry. They look rusty on Jerry, perfect on Booger. Might try and reinforce that area with some angle iron. Shouldnt be a lot of up and down on that stuff, just some cussing. Ill need to strip both cars back some more to get to the brake lines. Just slow tediuos stuff but not real hard. Going to have to do a lot of engine bay cleaning too but, most of the hard stuff is over.
                    Last edited by freshtiva; 09-01-2010, 04:53 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Well it's a open offer.. ever need a "extra" hand let me know! I'm running out of stuff to tinker with around here. BTW did you hear PNP is 1/2 price this weekend? Wish I knew when these come around a month before I need a 1.8L.
                      91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Originally posted by ericsmith32 View Post
                        Well it's a open offer.. ever need a "extra" hand let me know! I'm running out of stuff to tinker with around here. BTW did you hear PNP is 1/2 price this weekend? Wish I knew when these come around a month before I need a 1.8L.

Thanks buddy, that goes both ways if you ever need an extra hand or two. Free advise too :p. PNP half price ?? mmmm, I am on vacation you know.
                        sigpic

Comment

Did a complete brake line removal from Booger today. Besides a little grease on them they are in excellent shape. Probably the best Ive seen on a 21 year old car.

sigpic

Comment

Looking good so far.

Comment

Finally got back to this for awhile today. Encountered so many hangups before it was hard to force myself back to it knowing what laid ahead. The right side LCA bolt had snapped off, got it out today. Have a rust problem in lower front support compounded by stubborn cross member bolt which just twisted out when I put the impact on it. Also where the brake lines run through the cross member a bunch of moisture holding dirt has nearly rusted out the brake lines. Ive got good brake lines ( see above ) that Ill try to install tomorrow. Also have a good plan to repair the rust issue in the lower front support beam. Just a small update. Pics below.

sigpic

Comment

Worked on the brake line swap today. Check out the difference between the old and new lines. If you havent crawled under you car and checked out your brake lines lately you may want to. The tend to rust out where they are held on by the clamps.

New steering racks boots.

Lots of cleaning left to do. Might work on the motor some next. New water pump, valve cover gasket, timing belt, plugs, wires, disty cap, rotor, cleaning and painting, etc.
                                Last edited by freshtiva; 11-07-2010, 05:22 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X