No announcement yet.

My vacation project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

haha looks like you defy gravity to walk down your staircase and into your boat...or up it onto your bike...

Comment

The build is looking good Marcus! I felt your pain along the way. I have an exact project going on, however I luckily get to work with NC cars so I don't have near the rust issues to deal with. There is another resurection project getting ready to leave my garage soon. I will post up the details and photos of mine once it's nearing completion. After reading this thread, I can see you will appreciate all the work I have put into this one. And ehem, would you be willing to sell me a hatch decal for this project?
      91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
      82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
      85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Thank you kartracer ! Sure Ill get you a decal if Ive got it. I dont have a lot left, might be time to get some more made. I noticed yesterday that my cooling fan was coming on as soon as I turned the key on. Im thinking I didnt plug in the connector that goes to the temperature sensor on the radiator. Off to check that now. Also the car wouldnt come off of the cold idle which might be caused by the same problem. This car didnt have a lot of rust just on the front where I repaired it. Ive got a real nice interior for the car. Now that its running I feel comfortable putting some more time and money in it. It is probably the rarest of the festivas. No one likes the 89 autos and this one is a L Plus with the factory air and factory tinted windows. I think we are going to get along fine. Plus Ive got a whole other car just like it for parts.
        Last edited by freshtiva; 04-30-2011, 06:50 AM.
        sigpic
        The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
        https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
        Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

This is the second time lately I've heard something negative about the 89 auto. I posted a response in that thread too buy got no reply. The 89 auto is faster than the 90 up autos. I've never heard anything negative about it. It's one year only is the only drawback I know of. As far as I know they are just as trouble free as efi and carbed festys. I have 2 friends driving them now with 0 issues. Can you shed some light on this new to me puzzle? What's the issue with the 89 auto?

Btw, I noticed the fan in the video.
          youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

I have nothing against it other than the fact that its an automatic. I think its the one year only vacuum advance disty thing. May be hard to get parts for but like I say I have a whole other car.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
              This is the second time lately I've heard something negative about the 89 auto. I posted a response in that thread too buy got no reply. The 89 auto is faster than the 90 up autos. I've never heard anything negative about it. It's one year only is the only drawback I know of. As far as I know they are just as trouble free as efi and carbed festys. I have 2 friends driving them now with 0 issues. Can you shed some light on this new to me puzzle? What's the issue with the 89 auto?

Btw, I noticed the fan in the video.
              I might be able to help out a bit. Overall there is no problem with the 89 autos, as you said they have a better tranny setup that makes them faster. The only problem that you encounter is engine upgrading to either the b6 b8 or bp, as you have to change the ECU and the only way that it will change is if you have the 1990+ wiring. So for myself I had to change the interior and exterior wiring harness to make everything work. If you are keeping it stock it is a good option.

The other really good thing is that it has a smaller and better feeling steering wheel than the 1990+ festivas.

Congrats on the car freshtiva, it looks great!

-1989 festiva auto to standard conversion, bp g5mr white, aspire swap- October 2010 Festiva of the Month
              -1993 festiva stock standard blue, kia rio front struts

Comment

Originally posted by timmay89 View Post
                I might be able to help out a bit. Overall there is no problem with the 89 autos, as you said they have a better tranny setup that makes them faster. The only problem that you encounter is engine upgrading to either the b6 b8 or bp, as you have to change the ECU and the only way that it will change is if you have the 1990+ wiring. So for myself I had to change the interior and exterior wiring harness to make everything work. If you are keeping it stock it is a good option.

The other really good thing is that it has a smaller and better feeling steering wheel than the 1990+ festivas.

Congrats on the car freshtiva, it looks great!

Yeah that's the wireing change that makes the 89 auto different and not so desirealbe. Something else on the plus side besides the steering wheel is that the 89 has the manual belts, the new style headliners, smooth taillights, the grill most people like better, and the best ever made festiva interior. Much better quality over the 90+s.
                sigpic

Comment

Am I looking at another FOTM contender? :smile:

One question. Where did you get the rack boots?
                  Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                  '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                  '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Originally posted by JPT View Post
                    Am I looking at another FOTM contender? :smile:

One question. Where did you get the rack boots?
                    FOTM ?? Maybe after I get it up to snuff. I bought those boots off of ebay. The guy had several sets. They were less than $20 shipped and are good quality, I think I bought several sets of them.
                    sigpic

Comment

i got mine from a guy on there with the user name of steering_part. It was called sam's rack and pinion. I paid $9.50 for 2 of them.
                      1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

Comment

Made a home made DIY brake bleeding tool today using some old brake line, hose, and a dill pickle jar. I can lay on my back and depress the brake pedal with my hand while I watch the jar. Video included. I put a rubber end on the hose, it holds onto the bleeder valve better.

Click for video below

Last edited by freshtiva; 05-05-2011, 06:11 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Nice!
                          youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

After bleeding the brakes ( my tool worked great ) and doing the $10 chalk line and tape measure alignment Jerry makes his maiden voyage after sitting for six years. The rattling is the back hatch. Need to flush the water out of the cooling system and put the antifreeze in then start on the interior. No leaks yet. Let the detailing begin. Click on video below

Last edited by freshtiva; 05-06-2011, 11:01 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Here are the pics from today. You sort it out. I know when I started the sport interior was out and now the old interior with the sheep skin cover is out. Added center console, new interior, new door cards, upgraded door hardware, AM/FM cassette player, passenger side manual mirror, etc to project car. It all came from Redford who got a new sport interior upgrade . Redford has been moved into the batters box for its transformation into Fantativa maybe later this year. I had to move all the cars out to test drive Jerry. Took some photo ops.

Video at the end of the day

Last edited by freshtiva; 05-06-2011, 07:57 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by freshtiva View Post
                                Made a home made DIY brake bleeding tool today using some old brake line, hose, and a dill pickle jar. I can lay on my back and depress the brake pedal with my hand while I watch the jar. Video included. I put a rubber end on the hose, it holds onto the bleeder valve better.

Click for video below

Don't have a picture of mine but I used a big pickle jar and jb welded 2 vacuum ports in the lid. I typically hook it up to my mityvac. Originally worked great on the brakes but I need to replace the hoses now. I could bleed the brakes without even touching the brake pedal.
                                91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Working...
                                X