The Festiva Advantage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Festiva Advantage

In this writeup I will do my best to explain why I consider the Festiva/Pride/121 to be one of the best performance values in automotive history. I'm going to break this up into 3 sections.

1.Principle and Theory
    2.Application
    3.Further advancement

Festiva Advantage
    Principle and Theory

I have been excited about small, front drive hatchbacks for a little over 2 decades now, but always struggled with the "real sports car" debate on performance. In my early years of performance driving and tuning I focused much of my effort tuning Mk1 and Mk2 Volkswagens. Learning and exploring the possibilities with these cars gave me the knowledge and experience to expand into the Porsche world, and I was soon to jump onto the "sports car" bandwagon.
    I almost completely signed off on FWD completely until the summer of 2010. I was working with AFI Turbo on their S2000 Redline Time Attack car. Though we won the championship that year there was another car in particular that made a huge impact on the way I now view performance automobiles. This car was Chris Rado's Scion TC.
    Chris was campaigning a 1000hp (sometimes more) front drive car and though the car was a far cry from reliable or consistent, it sparked something in my imagination. Chris' car was fast, and I don't mean fast for a FWD, I mean faster than sierra sierras EVOs (when Chris could keep the winged TC on the track). Every chance I got, I would go over to Chris' pits and inspect the design of the car and think of ways to improve it. That car was really the biggest influence in my decision to try a FWD track car.
    So what does Chris Rado's factory backed Scion monster have to do with a Festiva? Well, when I looked over Chris' car the only thing I could think of was, "this thing is a tank". His car was built like it was racing Nascar. The biggest flaw that I could see was that they were constantly fighting all that weight. The car used huge wings on the front and back to keep all this mass stuck to the track and when the downforce failed it almost always resulted in the car flinging itself off the track like a frisbee. I then started to think about what a front drive chassis really needed in order to be competitive. That's when I came to the conclusion that it's not what the FWD needs, it's what a FWD doesn't need that is key, and that is weight behind the front axle line. The Festiva is such a short and lightweight FWD car that it has very little to tug around.
    Most modern FWD cars are far too heavy to be competitive with performance RWD and AWD cars. When I was looking at different FWD chassis it was apparent as to why FWD was not considered a performance advantage in our country. Any car over 2000lbs is not going to be able to comfortably keep up with even 3000+ lb RWD and AWD cars. However, we did get a few light weight FWD cars here in the U.S. and here is a list of some possible choices and why they weren't as good a choice as the Festiva.

Early Honda Civic (CVCC)- Very light, fairly rigid, but rare and hard to get parts for.
    VW Mk1 Golf/rabbit/gti- Heavy compared to a Festiva, not nearly as rigid and they are becoming very rare and therefore expensive.
    1st Gen Honda CRX- Heavier than a Festiva, especially in the rear where I don't want the weight.
    Diahatsu Charade- Really? I get funny looks when I say Ford Festiva at the parts store, I can't even pronounce Diahatsu. Lol
    Geo/Suzuki/Chevy Metro/swift- Lighter than the festiva, but much less rigid construction and the trailing beam on a festiva is far superior to the Suzuki independent suspension.
    Ford Festiva- Light, short, very rigid (according to Larry Pond it is as rigid as most of the high performance cars of it's day, he actually looked up the data). The Festiva weights slightly more than the Swift/Metro but it's on the correct end of the car. The Festiva is front heavy, front heavy is good.

So, why is it important to have weight over the front of the car, and not in the rear? Well, with a front drive car the front wheels are doing everything. The acceleration, the steering and most of the braking are concentrated to the front of the car. Under acceleration weight is transferred back, if that weight is located forward of the front axle line then most of it will be transferred to the driving wheels. Weight behind the front axle line will actually cause the opposite effect. As it transfers to the rear it also tries to lift the front.
    During cornering, weight over or in front of the front axle line is putting pressure on the front tires. Also, the lateral (sideways) inertia of the weight on the front of the car will be partially transferred to the front wheel guiding the car, mostly the outside front wheel. Weight behind the front axle will be transferred to the outside rear wheel as it tries to pull weight from the front wheels. Lateral inertia of the weight behind the front axle line will also act to reduce forward momentum as the car tries to slide sideways. Going sideways is not going fast. The less weight that there is behind the front axle line, the more corner speed can be carried through a curve without interrupting forward momentum.
    During braking, weight is transferred forward to the front wheels. In theory, the perfect FWD car would have just enough weight in the rear to keep the rear wheels on the ground under the hardest braking that the car would see in a race. You can take a lot of weight off the back of a Festiva before it will try to do a stoppie into a corner on a race track. So, is weight in the back of the car helpful under extreme braking? No, because this weight will cause a loss of control when braking deep into a corner, it will also make the car feel unstable at high braking forces.
    Doesn't a short FWD car with lots of weight in the front feel unstable at speed? No, it's the exact opposite. The more front biased a cars weight is, the more stable it will feel at speed. That is why my Festiva feels much more confidence inspiring at 140mph than a Miata of similar weight and HP output. This is also the secret behind much of Audis success in the 80's and 90's. Those cars were extremely front heavy, but definitely proved themselves to be competitive in close to a dozen forms of auto racing. In short, weight over the very front of the car is helpful in every performance driving situation (obviously up to a certain extent, so no.. don't put a snow plow on your festiva race car) whereas weight in the rear of the car is detrimental, and only causes a loss in the ability to efficiently carry momentum.

So, does that mean that someone can just strip a Festiva and Put weights on the front and then expect to beat a Sierra Sierra EVO in the next Time Attack Challenge? Umm... No. There is more to building a fast FWD than just weight distribution, but weight distribution is one of the main fundamentals necessary to build a competitive car. Most of the Performance tuning guides out there are not FWD friendly, and most of the tricks you'll learn at a performance driving school (unless your instructors last name is Duplessis) will not be geared towards FWD performance. This is because you can drive a FWD in RWD lines with RWD style, but if you try to drive a RWD like a FWD then you will get into big trouble. Safety is the reason that most driving schools don't teach FWD driving. In this thread I'll try to explain some of the key factors in FWD performance. Both driving and tuning.

Most importantly, you guys/girls need to remember that I'm just a guy at a place like anyone else, nothing I write is the absolute truth or without dispute. I have been around racing for most of my life and have seen and experience a lot, but I learn new things every day and I can't learn them alone so feel free to call me out, ask questions, call me a fool or whatever else.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

nice work... a+ for effort and most of all, it's good to know that people's passion extend further than others.

excellent.
    Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
    Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
    Highway - 7.32L/100km
    City - yet to be determined.

Comment

Nice read. Look forward to part 2 and 3.
      -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
      Random Festiva Parts
      Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Looking forward to some more information. Now I have to move my battery back to the front
        91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
        14 C7 Z51

Comment

Re: The Festiva Advantage

Wasn't the 1st gen CRX around 1600 lbs vs 1800 for a festy?
          91GL BP/F3A with boost
          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

1985 crx =1890lbs iirc
            1993 Ford Festiva = 1790 lbs iirc
            Last edited by Advancedynamix; 01-11-2013, 12:52 AM.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

LoL at the Duplessis comment. That and Chris Greenhouse are FWD maniacs.

Car #789
              Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group
              1992 Festiva L - BP Swapped, Aspire Swapped, Rally America Sanctioned.
              1993 Festiva GL - 4sp Automatic and the bluest car i've ever seen...
              http://www.facebook.com/warally

Comment

^ very true!

Comment

Little bit of research shows curb weights for the USDM '85 CRX to be around 1815 for the DX and around 100 lbs less for the HF. So about the same as the festy.
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Watch this video from 2:15 on and you'll see what happens when a CRX and a Festiva with roughly the same power get together. I ended up catching the newer CRX in front too. I was on Nankang street tires with a wear index of 480 in this video, they were very slippery. Both hondas are swapped but the front one was on R-compound tires.
                    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 01-11-2013, 03:22 AM.

Comment

sub'd, waiting on part 2 and 3. Great write up Charlie
                      Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
                      Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
                      Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
                      WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

Sweet.
                        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Great!! Please Give us more!nthego:
                          If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                            VW Mk1 Golf/rabbit/gti- Heavy compared to a Festiva, not nearly as rigid and they are becoming very rare and therefore expensive.
                            I mostly agree with your post and I enjoyed reading it! Having owned a mk1 VW Rabbit GTI (aka the 80's hot hatch), it's where opinions can vary. Let me elaborate.

The 83/84 rabbit GTI came with a 1.8L engine (90hp) that helped made the car much more fun to drive than a 1.3L festiva. Yes, one was considered a "sporty car" and the other an econobox.
                            The VW also came with sport/bucket seats that made it far more comfortable than the boring festiva seats
                            The suspension in a VW rabbit was more refined (had rear sway bars, larger control arms, bigger springs, better steering, bigger brakes)
                            Fuel injection (although mechanical) was installed in 83's GTIs whereas first festivas had carbs. Not a big argument but having maintained both, I'd take the VW.
                            I'd take the VW 14inch rims over the festiva's trailer-size rims any day!

Not trying to start a big debate but I'd choose a rabbit gti (even for the few hundred pounds difference) over a festiva hands down.

Comment

Uhh really dude? Were not exactly talking stock for stock here...
                              91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Working...
                              X