The Festiva Advantage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
    I wonder what i would have looked like in say a mustang or a miata!
    Broke...

Car #789
    Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group
    1992 Festiva L - BP Swapped, Aspire Swapped, Rally America Sanctioned.
    1993 Festiva GL - 4sp Automatic and the bluest car i've ever seen...
    http://www.facebook.com/warally

Comment

• Also... Wish i would've done any of the mods, or had this thread up before we started racing... We've done... OK in stage rally but man after 2 or 3 hits with our front arms all kindsa jacked around now, its all over the place.

I think i've made a recent decision to start up another Festiva rally car instead of go with the Chevy sonic i bought last year. This time I'll have all the driveline and info i need to set it up proper the first time instead of just throwing a cage into the bastard and rolling on.

Car #789
      Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group

Comment

• It's been wayyyyy too long since I've been to a rally. I'll have to get out to some soon. I miss that scene.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by WTFestiva View Post
          Also... Wish i would've done any of the mods, or had this thread up before we started racing... We've done... OK in stage rally but man after 2 or 3 hits with our front arms all kindsa jacked around now, its all over the place.

I think i've made a recent decision to start up another Festiva rally car instead of go with the Chevy sonic i bought last year. This time I'll have all the driveline and info i need to set it up proper the first time instead of just throwing a cage into the bastard and rolling on.
          Glad you decided to do another festiva instead! I imagine it would be significantly cheaper and easier than modding a sonic?
          Keep the sonic for driving home in

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
            It's been wayyyyy too long since I've been to a rally. I'll have to get out to some soon. I miss that scene.
            It's kind of turbulent right now between all of the sanctions... lot of people still out there but rally as a fad has been dying down the last couple years like all of the other extreme sports (skateboarding, bmx, and all that). Big names like ken block are starting to pull back from it.

But people like "mad" Mike Halley are coming back, which has been hilariously fun to watch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Car #789

Comment

• Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
              Glad you decided to do another festiva instead! I imagine it would be significantly cheaper and easier than modding a sonic?
              Keep the sonic for driving home in

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
              It depends.

If I consider the parts I have accumulated, way cheaper. The big factor for either car comes in the cage.

My main concern is it's a lot less risky to play in the sonic as everything would stay stock. There's a larger margin of error when swapping engines.

That and bspec is easier to win because there's like 3 entries a race lol, but that's just cheap winning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Car #789

Comment

• Wedge kept saying that Dual A-Arm is better than MacPhearson strut, but since my goal is rally, I would lunge for MacPhearson first because of the inherently reduced unsprung weight for better traction. It's possible that travel length might be reduced, but Charlie advises me to reduce droop, anyway, so I don't thing it would really be any hinderence. As for camber gain, I won't really be able to use a LOT of camber on such loose surfaces like hardpack, mud, and ice. When driving on wet pavement I understeer on initial turn in, especially when trailbraking (my rotors are pretty chewed up), but if I release and restab the brake, I suddenly oversteer; I think because I have not slotted the knuckles, so I don't have enough camber and when I stab the brake, the front is suddenly loaded so it squats and cambers in and gives sudden grip in the front and less in the rear. I came from an American Hot Rod beginning, so I originally saw anything other than SLA as inferior, but as I gained more experience I became a huge fan of MacPhearson Strut and determined SLA was best suited for mid weight vehicles and extending tire life by reducing scrub.
                A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
                Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

• I'm also quite fond of the trailing-arm/sway bar hybrid. The first time I saw it I said "OMG! That's SO much weight saved! This is genius!" But I think I should do Rio style trailing arms so I'm not lifting the inside wheel
                  A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
                  Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

Working...
                  X