The Hoopty (build thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sc72 View Post
    For being wrecked, that's a darn good looking car or Hooptie. You will like the B6D and if you need any help with the swap well just give me a shout.
    Bob's car is beautiful. It's Damn near flawless.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Sad to see hooptie take another hit, but I'm glad to see it back in good shape. That b6d will be a great upgrade.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Thanks, you can bet PM's you will be sent looking for answers. You guys are great inspiration!

Comment

I am finally close to having the nerve to take this car apart. It's been through a lot, but it has so much character still. It's been parked for six months now while I've collected parts. I really miss driving it. Actually it's been in drivable shape for a few months now, but the engine is getting tired and the upgrades will make it so much better if done right.
          The cooler months are coming soon and waiting until fall will allow me to put off the A/C system until next spring. This will be a new experience for me, I hope I don't mess it up! Last look at the stock engine before I get started...

Comment

Been a brutal month! The blue scrap car that I salvaged the 5spd swap from still fights me from time to time. I gave up on the trans from that car, I could never get the shaft out. Thanks to Bhearts for donating his old tranny for the cause!

Working on replacing the gaskets on the 1992 Capri engine. I figure the engine hasn't been run in about 20 years or more. I am worried about not changing the valve stem seals, but not excited about pulling the head. Any thoughts on this is appreciated....

A look under the valve cover...

Comment

Hard call. They do get brittle with age, but that head shows a well maintained engine. You can always pull the head off later, when it's in the car.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                Hard call. They do get brittle with age, but that head shows a well maintained engine. You can always pull the head off later, when it's in the car.
                I like the way you think!

Finding time to work on it has been tough. I need to make a push to get this done before the garage turns cold for the winter!

Comment

Getting a few things done here and there.

Decided to change the valve stem seals now instead of taking a chance. Used the rope to hold the valves up so the head didn't need to be removed.

Comment

B3 coming out

Comment

Engine bay cleaned and gaining access to the steering rack and brake booster

Comment

Is the Aspire brake booster/master cylinder a worthy upgrade for the RIO front brakes I already have installed?

Comment

Originally posted by Skrapbob View Post

Not long after installing the wiper/cruise switch, I installed an aftermarket Rostra Cruise Control. I did not want an odd looking cruise control module on the dash, so I tried to wire it into the 323 cruise stalk. I was able to get a working cruise, but it will only hold a steady speed, I didn’t have much luck with the resume/coast settings with the factory stalk. Winter set in and I never got back to doing it right.
                          Which Rostra Cruise Control unit did you install?

Comment

Originally posted by bolokid View Post
                            Which Rostra Cruise Control unit did you install?
                            It's been a while, but I think it's a Rostra (universal global cruise) unit

Comment

The moment you realize that years ago you routed the wires for the cruise AND the remote start through the clutch cable location. :cry_smile:

Comment

Powder coated the manual pedal assembly

Comment

Working...
                                X