No announcement yet.

The Hoopty (build thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the correct kit for a 1991 capri? http://arp-bolts.com/kits/ARPkit-det...?RecordID=1295

Comment

Bob, that's way too much money for that kit. Check eBay for a 1.6 miata ARP head stud kit. They are usually around 105 dollars. The stock head gasket thickness is 1mm, or .036".
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Also, you'll probably want to have the head "trued up". Clean the block surface with a planer blade. Avoid using abrasive wheels to clean the gasket surface.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

BTW, that's a great looking engine.

Comment

Thanks! I think it's a good one! Pretty happy with it. It's been one year now since the wreck, I am itching to get it back on the road, better than ever!

Comment

While waiting for parts I finally got to do some things to the inside. My Alpine has rear aux and usb jacks, so i installed an extension out of view in the lower cubby, above that the remote volume for the infinity powered sub, keeping it out of view also.

Above that, in the old lighter socket, I installed usb charging ports.

How to install USB ports:
                Discuss enhancing your Festiva or Aspire interior and exterior (including custom paint, bodywork, seats, etc)

Comment

I like my music but I like to keep it hidden. I bought some Infinity 4", but I soon discovered the dash grills won't fit over the tweeters. Truthfully, tweeters pointing at your knees really isn't much good anyway. I was able to mount them to the forward side of the dash by moving the clip nuts from the dash to the speakers. Electrical tape helps to hold them in place during installation. Just carefully wiggle the speaker through the hole and mount them, washers or spacers can be used if you need more clearance.

Tweeters in the door sail panels help to bring out the highs that are lost in the dash speakers.

Comment

I went back and forth with shifters in this car. First installed a civic short throw, but could find a boot to work with the console. Went back to the stock shifter but I really liked the throw of the civic shifter, so back out with the stocker and back in with the civic shifter. I bought a cheap boot from ebay and that helped, but I am still not entirely happy with how far I have to reach down to shift. I bought a 3" extension from ebay again, hoping for a happy medium.

Comment

I got the head gasket in, flushed the coolant system, filled the trans up with new fluids. Started it up again. All looks good! running cool. Engine sounds good with earplugs in. I bet the neighbors are loving me! The next day I went to get my new tag and have my title reinstated back to salvage/rebuilt (for the third time). Had some time left to drive it the the exhaust shop to have the downpipe shortened. It's quiet now!

A proud day for me! I still have a lot I want to do, but it's awesome to be driving The Hoopty again after a year! And with the new stick shift it will be better than ever!

Comment

I drove it to work 3 days last week. I have noticed though that I have a strange vibration at all times, from start up, idle, any speed, clutch, no clutch, it never goes away. I have tried adjusting timing, compression check, pulleys... Bugged SC72 too much (sorry Karl).
                        I have all new engine mounts, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, flywheel, clutch.... on and on.... I have made so many changes to the car, all at once.
                        I tried different distributors, VAF, coil, all to no avail! Finally, paranoid, I went into the clutch. Spent all day tearing it down, everything looked good so I started reassembling, hoping for the best. Then..... Plain as day!

My catalytic converter is riding HARD against the shift linkage! It's a little bittersweet. Knowing I did things right when assembling and it wasn't something that I did, but pissed at the hack job the muffler shop did. A well respected muffler shop at that, and the owner did the work himself. I guess he's human too...

Comment

I take it that's the result from shortening the downpipe?
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Well, you probably didn't need any more practice tearing this car apart and putting it back together, but I'm glad you found the problem. Back to the muffler shop again!

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                              I take it that's the result from shortening the downpipe?
                              Too much too short. Did a good job otherwise.

Comment

Looking great if you like the length of the stock shifter but the throw of the honda .
                                Add some length to the bottom of the stock shifter this will make it a shorten throw without making it any shorter.

But with your short down pipe this will only make the linkage even closer to your exhaust witch looks like it's as close as it gets lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X