No announcement yet.

The Hoopty (build thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob your doing a great job, keep up the good work.
    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Dangit Bob! That looks nice

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks fellas!

I am a little behind on my updates, so I will try to catch up the thread while waiting on some parts.
        It's been a whole year since we've driven The Hoopty, and I can tell Mojo is growing impatient with my deliberate and confused pace.

Civic short shifter installed, waiting on a manual console from fourgreen.

Comment

Originally posted by Skrapbob View Post
          Capri B6D Engine mounted!
          I missed this post when you put it up. Looking great! I'm glad to see the mount kit going to good use. It looks like you'll have it running by spring.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I spliced and lengthened this blue plug to reach to the Idle Air Control which is located on the right hand side of the intake

Comment

This is the difference between the downpipe and the stock exhaust when using the B6D exhaust manifold. I will need to shorten the downpipe to get this to line up.

Comment

If you use the b6d downpipe (or even first generation b6 from a 323/tracer) the stock exhaust bolts right up.
                Last edited by Advancedynamix; 02-17-2017, 07:28 PM.
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                  If you use the b6d downpipe (or even first generation b6 from a 323/tracer) the stock exhaust bolts right up.
                  Thanks for that info. The search begins...

Comment

Had a few days where I couldn't figure out the timing. Engine was turning over but I couldn't line the distributor up with #1 cylinder. Through the facebook group and Karl (SC72), I finally figured out the missing link. Karl, thanks for being there! :-)

What I learned: Lightly sand the mating surfaces of the cam cap (distributor bearing?) in order to clamp the distributor in place so that is does not turn freely, thus eliminating the need to use the original bolts that hold distributor through the slotted holes. I made a small red line around the base of the cap to keep track of the amount removed (it's not much). A little elbow fluid goes a long way

Comment

Soon after getting the distirbutor to line up correctly, Hoopty started easily with just a short twist of the key. Fairly loud with no exhaust. No smoke! a little lifter noise for a few minutes, then it quieted down and sounds pretty smooth. I think this is a pretty good engine. Took it around the block for the first time in a long time.

Then the bad news....

Coolant is leaking from below the head. Looks to be an external head gasket leak. Luckily I don't see any water in the oil. Flashbback: Remember I decided to change the valve stem seals without pulling the head, hoping to avoid a future leak? That turned out to be a bad decision. Hopefully not too big of a deal, I had success changing the B3 head gasket a couple of years ago. I will do it without pulling the motor.

Any recommendations on the best gasket to use, and where to buy it?

Seems I'm always backing up to do things over. I have a lot invested in this, and a lot of doubt from the (car payment crowd) as to why I put so much effort and money into this econobox. I'm getting closer though! I'm not giving up!

Comment

Where is the leak coming from? I've had brand new water pumps leak.
                        The best gasket is cometic. I like to use them in combination with ARP studs. This is probably overkill, but I like the assurance.
                        This is a little setback, but the results will be worth the hassle. This engine will update the performance of the car to modern sports car standards, while your insurance and registration are still at a minimum.

Comment

Can see the fluid on the block and in 3 and 4 exhaust ports. Notice my custom bypass hose mount? :grin:

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                            Where is the leak coming from? I've had brand new water pumps leak.
                            The best gasket is cometic. I like to use them in combination with ARP studs. This is probably overkill, but I like the assurance.
                            This is a little setback, but the results will be worth the hassle. This engine will update the performance of the car to modern sports car standards, while your insurance and registration are still at a minimum.
                            Cometic makes several gaskets for this engine. How do I know which is right for my project?

Comment

When thinking of head gaskets remember, the thicker the gasket the less compression you will have and in reverse the thinner the gasket the more compression you will have, you might look up how thick the OEM gasket is, then check with Cometic for the correct gasket. Good luck.
                              An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X