Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Icedawg
    replied
    ^ Hey man, sorry I missed your question. Yes indeed, the season started Jan 18, and I ran the car in rubber class, with two seconds and a third place finish. I could pace the leader, but not catch or pass him.

My intention was to run studded class, but I did not have the tires built yet. For the second weekend I did, 6 bolted tires, and ran studded class. Not much luck though, the steering seemed to fail on day 1, but it later turned out it was the driver's axle, so I went back to the shop and replaced it. Sunday I came back out ready to go, and had low power and blew out 1.5 litres of oil from the head into the catch can. So I stopped, ran the plow truck, then took it home.

I spent this past weekend diagnosing and testing. Found water in one spark plug well, which prevented firing, and explained low power. Good compression 185 to 195 across the 4 cyls, better than 10-20 % leakdown, and all the leak seemed to be into the exhaust manifold. Spark plugs OK, except the one not firing was wet. Good PCV, timing belt on right, no oil in intercooler intake line, no smoking gun. And a test drive showed it had the power back and did not duplicate the blow by.

I don't understand how a failed spark in one cylinder could cause the blow by, though we have a few weird, implausible theories, but at this point, it is back out to race next weekend with no more work on the car. Hard racing will be the final test.
    Last edited by Icedawg; 02-09-2015, 10:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Advancedynamix
    replied
    Are you racing Thricestiva again this season?

Leave a comment:

• SiliconSoul
    replied
    Lol - Nice!

If you let me know dimensions, I might just be nice enough to make you a vinyl sticker with that name for your ride....

Leave a comment:

• Prafeston
    replied
    I dig it. Plus it still has "ice" in the name!

Leave a comment:

• Icedawg
    replied
    A new name for a new car!

Well the thread is titled Icetiva 3, being the third Festi chassis I have taken ice racing. But I have to say calling it Icetiva 3 sounds like I am naming a boat.
    So, all puns intended, I have decided it is
    Thricetiva

what do you think? Now I'll just have to remember how to change my sig.

Leave a comment:

• kumalaba
    replied
    what a great car! also those finishes were awesome + congrats on the one with the win.

Leave a comment:

• shadetree
    replied
    Originally posted by Icedawg View Post
    Hey man, you west virginians are just brutal!! I am so so sick of wrenching at the moment, 14 weekends is a long long time to build a car. And my wife is annoyed with me never doing anything around the house. How can you wish more on me at the moment? I am crushed.:tearyeyed:
    Kidding aside, thanks for the positive comments to all of you!
    haha. Building Is the beginning ! You know that .
    Keeps the woman in good health . I'll show up and wrench you can fix the sink !!!! Anytime !!!

Leave a comment:

• Icedawg
    replied
    Momma can the Festiva's come out to play?

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
    Well done Jed and crew!! Where was the race held? Looks like #42 is a Festiva too.
    Thanks Ian, and many thanks to Hiroki for all his welding fab work and help, and the chance to borrow his garage all winter.
    We raced at Lac La Biche, Alberta, at the Annual Winter Festival of Speed.
    And yes indeed that was a Festiva in the background. All 3 cars have a B6T swap, at least two with the VJ11/14 hybrid.
    That's Hiroki's digital desert camoflauge #66

and Robin's British theme Festi #42, driven to first place this weekend by his son Chris
    Last edited by Icedawg; 03-11-2014, 08:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Icedawg
    replied
    Originally posted by shadetree View Post
    Awesome read ! Lots of work pays off . Now keep wrenching !
    Hey man, you west virginians are just brutal!! I am so so sick of wrenching at the moment, 14 weekends is a long long time to build a car. And my wife is annoyed with me never doing anything around the house. How can you wish more on me at the moment? I am crushed.:tearyeyed:
    Kidding aside, thanks for the positive comments to all of you!
    Last edited by Icedawg; 03-11-2014, 07:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Prafeston
    replied
    Looks great man!!

Leave a comment:

• fastivaca
    replied
    Well done Jed and crew!! Where was the race held? Looks like #42 is a Festiva too.
    Last edited by fastivaca; 03-10-2014, 11:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• shadetree
    replied
    Awesome read ! Lots of work pays off . Now keep wrenching !

Leave a comment:

• Icedawg
    replied
    DONE!!!!!!!

And so finally on weekend 14, at 4 am Saturday morning, the car is done, race belts in, foam padding on the bars, battery mounted in the passenger sidet, small problems in the lighting wiring and switches fixed, engine cleaned with Seafoam & 5w30 dino oil and marvel mystery oil until the lifter started working, oil filter and oil changed to 10W40 Royal purple synthetic, leaking rad hose tightened up, hood pins installed, and more I mercifully forget, all done, car loaded on trailer, racing van loaded with gear and back home from the garage at 5 am.

Then after an hours sleep its off to the race track for the Western Canadian Ice Race Championship, with plenty of coffee in a thermos. WOW, after all this work, and so much time its done and ready to race!

The car ran well, and worked well. It took me the weekend to get my ice race chops back, and to be willing to put the car at some risk while racing, which you have to do to be fast. I went from being gridded in last place at the start of race 1 to finishing 4th, out of about 12 cars in that race. Finished 3rd the next race, then 4th, then 3rd again. And in the feature race, the last of the season, the double points race: I won, by half a lap! So third overall on the weekend championship for rubber to ice class.
    I got a dent in the rear driver's quarter panel unfortunately. But the car ran well, it boosted to a stable 10 psi when I was able to stay in the throttle long enough (it was a short, tight and slippery track)

Thanks for looking and reading!

Leave a comment:

• jawbraeka
    replied
    Looking good.. If that bay was a woman.. I'd take it out for a seafood dinner and definitely call the next day. Man she looks sweet

Sent from the depths of hell.
    Last edited by jawbraeka; 03-10-2014, 08:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Speed_bro
    replied
    thats awesome man!, hope all goes well send pics of finished product!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X