Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

» TheGageinator's 1996 Aspire Build thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• » TheGageinator's 1996 Aspire Build thread!

I copy and pasted alot from my original thread on fordaspire.com.

I just got a 1996 Ford aspire 2dr today. only 100k miles!! Got it for $800. hasnt been inspected or registered in 5 years... it sat in a garage while the owner was in another country. the previous owner's uncle got it running and sold it to me.

It started up great and i drove it 1hour home with cold AC! (have to have ac here in texas)

List of issues-

a lot of popping and rattling coming from the front and back

Steering wheel shakes

Clicking sound when turning hard either way

FIXED fuel gauge not working

ac compressor makes a horruble clicking/ticking when in use

check engine code P0470

FIXED O2 sensor was just hanging loose and the manifold was plugged...

i just finished cleaning the EGR valve and replacing the o2 sensor with a new one. part number 11027 Bosch

I pulled all the spark plugs and i am doing a seafoam piston soak right now. 2 oz in each cylinder for 1hr. then i will fire it up and after a drive around the block i ill do another seafoam treatment in the vacuum lines.
    Last edited by TheGageinator; 08-16-2014, 03:39 PM.
    1996 Ford Aspire 105kmiles

Comment

Check engine light p0470 came back after I drive the car 5 miles, shut up off then started again. Gotta get the car inspected so this is the #1 priority.

I already cleaned the egr valve and tested function. Must be something else

Did a few tings to the spire today

1. Changed my fuel filter part number G977 / FF682DL

2. Seafoam fogged through the vacuum lines

3. Installed a cheap radio i had laying around

Got my fuel gauge working! it ended up being my fuel sending unit! The arm was stuck very hard in the EMPTY position.

holy cow look at that fuel pump strainer!! time to replace!

here you can see the position that the fuel sending arm was stuck in. it was very hard to move

I lubricated the whole unit with WD40 and freed up the arm. no resistance now! moves great

The new fuel filter i installed was alot different... but it was the only one they had in stock. i will change it again later i promise.... part number BFS0187 Delphi

all back together!

Comment

I just bought wheel bearings today!

Timken part number are as follows

Fronts (4) SET11
        rear inner (2) SET4
        rear outer (2) SET1

i'll post when i put them in

I may get a IHI RHB5 turbo tomorr for $150.... what do you guys think?

Comment

I'm not familiar with that turbo. But I'm doing a b3 build too.

Comment

That turbo will be big for the 1.3l it's from a 1.8l. Should work though low boost high rpm.
            1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

any good turbo build threads on here i can leech off of?

Comment

Originally posted by bhearts View Post
                I'm not familiar with that turbo. But I'm doing a b3 build too.
                dude your custom manifold is sick. just read your whole thread

Comment

It's almost done too. I'm epoxying it all together, in theory. I'm thinking about fluorescent pink powder coat.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGageinator View Post
                    any good turbo build threads on here i can leech off of?
                    There's a few in the swap section but mostly turbos with engine swaps. Not too many turbo'd 1.3l it has been done but most people don't make write ups on turboing the stock setup. Should be fun on low boost. We did a b6 with a smaller turbo it ran really good. You might want to trade that turbo for a smaller vj14. Or find one from a b6t. And you will need a clutch.
                    1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

The great thing about the b3, I'd that the manifolds attach to the early b6s. So your turbo manifold and intake manifold will swap directly on.v

Comment

The great thing about the b3, I'd that the manifolds attach to the early b6s. So your turbo manifold and intake manifold will swap directly on.v
                        B6S ? You mean B6 ? You mean the B6 Intake/Exhaust Patterns are identical to the B3?
                        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I ment b6(plural)

Comment

Yeah, the first gen b6 is identical to the b3

Comment

Yeah, the first gen b6 is identical to the b3
                              So he could use a Gen 1 B6 Cast Iron Manifold for the turbo and only have to make an adapter plate for the Turbo? Next question...what vehicles and years did we get the first Gen ? I'm guessing 323's and Tracers,but what production years. Lastly, is there air flow advantages to running the B6 Intake an a B3. I've never seen one close up,but I know that the B3 intake is pretty restrictive.
                              Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                              Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                              Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                              X