Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bhearts View Post
    You should assume it will not stay stock for long I assume. Lol
    It's already a little modded. lol. I did some port work (mild street port) and had the head milled .020" to bump the compression up to 9.9:1. It's got ACL race bearings in it and ARP head studs. Plus, the Gates Racing timing belt has gotta be worth at least 15hp :p
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I think I read on here that very early 4-speeds had shorter ratios than most other 4-speeds. I guess when you blow that one up maybe pull the gears and count the teeth?
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Oh. Well, this is an early 88 so it could have the close ratio tranny. If so this could be a potential NA festy contender for "fastest festiva" drag time. hmm. I put a balancer from an Mx3 with the b6d on this car, and the festy flywheel is very close to the weight of an NA miata flywheel so I'm thinking this car won't be real hard on trannies. It's not always the TQ that kills transmissions, more often than not it's the harmonics. This car will have the softest mounts I can use without wheel hop. A lot of tranny killing cars are BP with lightened flywheels and no balancer or the wrong balancer pulley and solid motor mounts. That is a recipe for tranny destruction.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

You milled your head 20? Cool! Take it back off and do another 50, so you can run e85 and make some serious na power. That's just what I'd do. Prove all the ethanol nay sayers wrong about ethanol and fuel economy
          Last edited by bhearts; 02-10-2015, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Fantastic work as always!
            -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
            -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
            -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

Originally posted by bhearts View Post
              You milled your head 20? Cool! Take it back off and do another 50, so you can run e85 and make some serious na power. That's just what I'd do. Prove all the ethanol nay sayers wrong about ethanol and fuel economy
              Nah, this is just a replacement for the clunky carb'd b3. I plan to take some very long road trips in this car and E85 is not easy to come by on the open road. I've got plans for an E85 build, but not this car. 9.9:1 should be fine for the 91 octane we have in our pumps.

Comment

nice work charlie! hope you make madness this year
                Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                  Nah, this is just a replacement for the clunky carb'd b3. I plan to take some very long road trips in this car and E85 is not easy to come by on the open road. I've got plans for an E85 build, but not this car. 9.9:1 should be fine for the 91 octane we have in our pumps.
                  I hate that, having to plan around fill ups

Comment

Originally posted by Festiva_Fred View Post
                    Fantastic work as always!
                    Originally posted by kumalaba View Post
                    nice work charlie! hope you make madness this year
                    Thanks guys! I hope I make madness too.

Comment

• Made a little more progress over the weekend. I'm using the Capri intake and air box. This gives plenty of hood clearance. I'll need to fabricate some brackets to hold the air box in, and move the battery to the other side of the engine bay.

Comment

• Is that an engine bay or a surgical table? Damn thats clean.
                        91GL, 93L, 91L, 92L
                        00 f250- xlt 7.3 6speed 4x4
                        88 gtx
                        74 torino- enduro car.

Comment

• Charlie, did you use the stock Festiva lower rad hose/bypass? I believe I read somewhere in another thread that it could be used and would free up some room and add a bit of clearance for an A/C compressor mount.

Ian
                          Ian
                          Calgary AB, Canada
                          93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                          59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

• Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                            Charlie, did you use the stock Festiva lower rad hose/bypass? I believe I read somewhere in another thread that it could be used and would free up some room and add a bit of clearance for an A/C compressor mount.

Ian
                            I did. It's a nice piece and I don't need any custom hoses. Stock festiva hoses will work. The b6d has all the same holes in the block as the b3, and everything fits from the b3 to the b6d. This is a really easy swap. Pedro never had AC, but it would be easy to keep the AC with this setup, if the car had it to begin with.

Comment

• Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                              I did. It's a nice piece and I don't need any custom hoses. Stock festiva hoses will work. The b6d has all the same holes in the block as the b3, and everything fits from the b3 to the b6d. This is a really easy swap. Pedro never had AC, but it would be easy to keep the AC with this setup, if the car had it to begin with.
                              That is very good to know indeed! Just have to rig up the idler pulley bracket with spacers to clear the water pump housing.
                              Ian
                              Calgary AB, Canada
                              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

• Yeah. That's been done by a bunch of people. Pretty simple. Have you thought about running power steering?

Comment

Working...
                                X