No announcement yet.

'89 Festiva build...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice... the upholstery looks great...and you have a sunroof like the one in my Rosie. Nice color choice on the shift knob!.
    Last edited by 1990new; 04-26-2017, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Update. The rear toe/camber plates arrived quite a while ago, I do t know why I never bothered posting them up.

And the big update, my engine/trans swap arrived today after work courtesy of Damnkid! Going to talk to the guy doing the swap (Shadetree) and see what he needs done before it goes to him for the swap (scheduled for next spring).

Have just about everything I need now to complete all the modifications I wanted to do, just need tires for the 13's and Aspire tie rod ends. Going to be replacing all the brake parts and bearings with new stuff, I've just not made a list yet.

Plan is to strip all the suspension stuff stripped and powder coated, install it all, get the engine in and any bugs worked out, then the car will be getting stripped to a rolling shell for body, paint and a major engine/engine bay cleanup. Hoping to have the car on the road with all the modifications for next summer, and into paint for the '18/'19 winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1990 Flat black Festiva...Mostly stock...

Comment

Shined it up and went to a local cruise night this weekend. Car was a hit! I don't think I've heard " I haven't seen one of these in years" so many times in my life.

Comment

I've decided to stop being lazy and start on the Aspire suspension swap and coil over install. Here's what I have laid out on the bench.

Finding Aspire parts is proving very difficult, but after two days of searching, cross referencing, and finding out a friend of a friend is the parts person in a Kia dealership, I think I've got it all tracked down. Unfortunately, it's not going to be a cheap endeavour, but since when have project cars ever made financial sense. The biggest hurdle has been finding the shims that set the preload for the front bearings. I had ordered everything from a Korean car parts supplier called fourgreen, only to have them contact me the next day and say that absolutely nothing I ordered was available.

I ended up tracking down the part numbers for the shims, a backing plate I was missing and new front hubs from a Kia Avella. The Kia dealership was able to get me everything directly from Korea except the hubs, which I was told were not existent. A bit more digging on the forums found that the 2001-2005 Kia Rio used the same hubs, so I ordered those and all new bearings/seals through work.

Next on the list is finding the tool to set preload in the front hubs. I've found one for sale for $180, not a chance in hell I'm spending that for a nut, bolt and two spacers. I've been in touch with the Ford dealership we use at work and they are searching their stock of special tools for me. In the meantime, if any Ford techs happen to read this and have access to the tool and wouldn't mind taking some measurements for me, I can take them and have one made for me. T87c-1104-B is the Ford Rotunda tool part number.

Up next is stripping everything for powder coating, which I may start on tonight.

Comment

Howdy....I found and purchased the bearing spacers on ebay.......i have about six of them and there should be some left...

I hope that helps.....peace. mark

oh, btw.....there are/were about 15 different widths.....designated by a letter at the end of the part number......they are listed in the ford service manual or some dealerships can get it too.....if you don't have any luck there, I can text you a photo of it with provision of your phone number. bye.
            Last edited by avitsefdrof; 10-19-2017, 07:58 PM.
            92 GL, 98k
            77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

That is the shiniest hub I have ever seen!
              "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
              sigpic
              "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
              "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
              "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
              "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
              https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by avitsefdrof View Post
                Howdy....I found and purchased the bearing spacers on ebay.......i have about six of them and there should be some left...

I hope that helps.....peace. mark

oh, btw.....there are/were about 15 different widths.....designated by a letter at the end of the part number......they are listed in the ford service manual or some dealerships can get it too.....if you don't have any luck there, I can text you a photo of it with provision of your phone number. bye.
                I've managed to locate them through a friend of a friend at a Kia dealership in Toronto, sending in my order today, but thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Zman86 View Post

Just a tip, most people here prefer timken bearings. Skf will likely work just fine for a long time, they lasted me quite a while on the rear, but just so you know.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                    Just a tip, most people here prefer timken bearings. Skf will likely work just fine for a long time, they lasted me quite a while on the rear, but just so you know.

Was the best option I had on our parts ordering program at work unfortunately. Think I should ditch them ?

Comment

Im not the guy to ask unfortunatly. There is one or 2 guys that whenever they see a post about front hubs they comment about timken bearings only. I presume that comes from experience with other brands failing but i never asked. I just ordered timken since i had the time to wait for them (cheap on rockauto). I will do a little searching and see if i can find who was all saying that.

Edit: you could ask these guys for more info for a start anyway. I just did a quick search. Last photo-maybe your work can order from mazda and get a discount?

Last edited by ryanprins13; 10-20-2017, 01:44 PM.

Comment

I'll probably use the SKFs since I have them already, we have good luck with them at work.

Comment

4 years and counting on SKFs here front and back. No issues
                          Last edited by joeboomer999; 10-20-2017, 11:26 PM.

Comment

I second SKF - I've used them on 1ton trucks and they've lasted a long time

Comment

Found some pictures from a fellow forum member, I believe its bhazard, who's running the same wheels/suspension I'm installing. Looks fantastic and I'm excited for the final product...

Comment

Correction to the above post, it's Shorestiva's car

More stuff coming in. Kia Avella rear axle bushings all the way from Latvia

A friend of a friend happened to be a parts person at a Kia dealership, and he was nice enough to source the bearing spacers and a new backing plate all the way from Korea for me. Without him, this project project pretty much would have been done unless I started sourcing used stuff from the states. Now I need to find the damn bearing selection tool...

Had a friend drop by with a '78 Honda. Pretty cool to compare the two. They are almost the exact same length, the Festiva is considerably taller and the Honda is narrower. The Festiva has much more interior room, at 6'3 250lbs, the Honda is quite cramped for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X