No announcement yet.

Road Racing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got it to work! This run was pretty clear, there was only 1 car that I lapped (newest generation civic si) and then at the end you get to see what happens when street tires get too hot and lose all grip. You can see them slipping and going away the lap before I finally flung the car off the track. I should have taken that as a sign to slow down, lol. Please pardon my poor hand positioning, it's always been my weak point (hard to correct bad habbits). Front straightaway speed was around 105-110mph. Keep in mind that this is on 185mm wide street tires that were made in Hong Kong!

Enjoy!
    Lost grip during a track session on Firebird east (chandler AZ). Spun off the track and came way too close to rolling the car!
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I can't complain about the hand positioning at all. That's almost how I hold my steering wheel. One thing that I did notice was that once you started to lose grip, your steering ratio became your worst enemy. There's got to be a better car to take a rack from!
      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

i almost crapped my pants just watching you tip. looks like a lot of fun though!

Comment

Go hard in the paint! ...or at least powerslide through it and post the video!
          1989 Carby L: Stock. Slow.
          1998 Mustang Cobra: ported heads, cams, longtubes, 4.30 gears
          2016 Focus ST: daily driven go-kart

Comment

Haha, thru the whole video I was waiting on it to tip, then at the end you hit the gravel and I was like ..oh, I missed...NOOOOo...whew that was close!
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

You almost "tweaked' the whole passenger side.
              1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                The rear is done with alignment shims.
                Pics? Id love to see how you've set it up. I considered shims or wedged spacers to get some negative camber in the rears but upon modelling it seems when suspension is compressed that negative camber would turn into negative toe?(if my calculations are correct) which probably wouldnt help with under-steer. If anything positive toe in the rears could do wonders for turn in, but straight line would then be unstable.. Argh! My brain hurts
                60% of the time it works, every time!

Comment

Love the vid btw!

Comment

Thanks! I'm glad you guys enjoy this thread!

You are right that negative camber turns into toe in with compression of the rear suspension. This is why the trailing beam rear suspension is by far the best suspension system for lightweight front drive cars. When tuned properly, a trailing beam will provide 3 wheel steering!
                    A rule of thumb is, toe in in the rear for stability ( generally up to .250") toe out for "turn in" and to promote rotation ( useful for low speed performance as needed for autocross). Always set toe and camber after ride height. Moog makes the shims, they are available everywhere. Here's a picture.

Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Another note. The settings I'm giving in this thread won't work well for autocross, and settings that work well in autocross are scary at close to triple digit speeds. Road racing and autocross are two different sports, and car setup is vastly different for each.

Comment

That's cool, when I eventually finish my build and have a chance to tune everything it'll be orientated to circuit/time attack. Forgive my ignorance, moog is a brand yeah? Ill google them now, hopefully "everywhere" will include oz

Comment

found moogs site, and apologies for hijacking thread too.
                          Do you know if those shims (part no. ?) will fit aspire beam?

Comment

Yeah, they are universal. Type in " aspire alignment shim" on eBay. No worries, it's on topic of road racing.

Comment

Thanks heaps mate, if I find some I'm gonna order them tonight! I take it I'll only need one for each side.
                              Oh, and I'm looking forward to more track action!!

Comment

thanks for that!!! ive always wondered how to get toe out in the rear with a bit of camber!!!

GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!! (or maybe im just slow)

Nice video btw, More festy guys need to take their cars to time attacks rather then just the 1/4 mile!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X