No announcement yet.

1st time Autocrossing tips!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use the bosch valve from the audi. When it blows out you can replace it with a 1" forge (or suitable copy).
    I prefer to divert the air into the turbo inlet pipe, as close to the turbo inlet as possible. The valve should be located as close to the throttle body as possible and it should get its signal from a designated (don't t into the signal line for other components) signal hose that is as close to the throttle valve as possible (plenum side of the valve though, not charge side like the DV).

A diverter valve is open more than it's closed. A majority of the time, air will be entering the engine through this valve. This is why the valve should be routed to a filtered location (i.e. the turbo inlet pipe.) The DV (diverter valve) job is to allow air to move freely when your intake manifold is under a vacuum. It's job is NOT to make noise or to "blow off extra boost". If you think of this valve simply as a pressure "blow off", your missing the concept behind turbocharging thoery. The valve is a way to maintain air velocity in the system. It also prevents compressor surge and stalling do to pressure spikes. Typical "blow off" valves are archaic and simply a flashy gimmick that aftermarket tuners sell because flashy junk is easier to sell than sound engineering.
    When your intake manifold is under vacuum (i.e. partial throttle or closed throttle) the valve opens and allows air to flow freely. If the Turbo is spinning fast enough, air will flow out the valve and preferably back into to inlet of the turbo. If the turbo is not spinning fast enough, air will flow into the valve and supply the engine with fresh air that didn't have to go through the turbo and plumbing.
    While under partial throttle, the valve may be partially open (if it's a good valve) and it will allow the turbo to spool up while not creating pressure. When the throttle is opened far enough (so that the intake manifold is no longer under vacuum) the diverter valve will close and the rapidly moving air will back up. That is what compresses the air to create boost pressure. Boost is the direct result of air speed and weight in a turbo system. This is what a turbocharger is referred to as a centrifugal supercharger. Centrifugal force is what compresses the air.
    A blow off valve that makes a lot of stupid noises (those chirpy sounds are from compressor surge, which is not a good thing) will keep the air stagnant until the throttle opens and allows air speed to build.
    Blow of valves, poorly sized turbochargers and excessively large charge coolers/piping are the worst things that you can do to a turbocharged engine. Examples of this type of misguided thoery have been sold as "high performance parts" by tuners (or salesmen rather) who are greedy and engineers who like to keep proper design a secret for those "in the know".

The original diverter valve circuit on the b6t is a good example of a proper diverter. The valve itself could be a bit closer to the throttle body, and there is a flow restrictor in the hose that can be removed (it's a silencer to quiet the whoosh noise), but the circuit is nicely designed. I replaced the factory valve with a forge 1" valve on our LeMons car, but kept the plumbing as stock (less the restrictor) as possible.
    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 07-14-2016, 03:53 PM.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I only have about 2-3000 miles on my suspension kit. 80% of that was with the stock motor. 20% was with my b6t and stock trans. So i have never felt the froward mounted motor or the g-series trans festiva. I will soon tho. I can clearly understand how good the car is with a few mods. I dont get why they have not become more popular then they are.

At my local autocross i see a ton of new ford focus turbos, a bunch of miata's, Porsche, corvette, a few civic, some random cars here and there. Never another festiva tho. When i have talked to my local scca guys they dont get it either. I started this year off with the plan to have shadetree come down and build my car with me at my house a few weeks before the 1st event. That didnt happen. Then i found Lucifer- then i broke it a couple times. So far i have never taken a car to the local scca so they might not have faith in me or my car. I hope to really shock them when the car is up and running and i hope to be in the top of the pack.

I dont get why the festiva is so off the radar.
      1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
      1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
      1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
      19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
      1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
        I dont get why the festiva is so off the radar.
        it keeps parts cheap
        Tommy

WannaBimmer Build in Progress:
        http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...-Festiva-Build

Comment

Trust me im not upset at all. In fact i love it. I dont want a 350Z type of car! I like that my car is one of very few.

I almost bought a Supra! But then im just another guy that spent a bunch of money on a car he has no clue about. With the festiva im learning and on the cheap!

When something is great its hard to keep the word down about it. Im just surprised that i dont see more built festivas around.

I bet after william and i show up and steal the local spot we start to see more festivas!!!
          1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
          1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
          1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
            Great job! That's a good looking car!

One helluva sales pitch!
            If you aren't using those whimsies then I'll buy 'em off you.
            Hey Charlie! Just goin thru this thread again in anticipation of an upcoming event and realized ya posted this. I'm sure you noticed I got the spimsy whimsies powdercoated an theyre my daily drivers now. Been readin thru the advanced suspension thread trying to figure out what I wanna take on for a winter project...
            1991 Beastiva L BP autoX'er

Comment

2nd in SMFT1 Today

Comment

Comment

Nice!!!
                  1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Nicely done Sir!
                    Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

Festivas FTW!!
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

woohoo hell yea man, it's really a crowd pleaser at events! getting back to the OP, a good autocross tip is to always let girls ride shotgun (she was riding on my fastest lap of the day)

Comment

is that a flat tow bar in the front?

Comment

yessir it is, I made some posts in my thread "flat towing" about it. plus it puts weight in front of the front axle haha

Comment

I wonder if that'll clear the junspeed front lip. Is it easy to remove?

Comment

honestly, no. it was a pretty time intensive. the driver side requires removal of the splash guard that protects the windshield sprayer. not forever but I was definitely hoping like hell my club tech wouldn't ask me to remove it.

Comment

Working...
                                X