No announcement yet.

1st time Autocrossing tips!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a picture of a flat tow bar that came on my little brothers festiva when we bought it, It is super heavy but it was pretty simple to take off because you just unbolt the front tow hooks. (The Bar is Upside Down)

Last edited by firebush357; 10-04-2016, 06:24 AM.
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Nice pics of you "Bookin' & Cookin'..."

Did you get any video?

* The top pic should be on next years calendar!!! I SO VOTE

~Find inspiration wherever you can, and RUN LIKE HELL with it!
      Last edited by Greywolf; 10-05-2016, 10:52 PM.
      Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

haha thanks greywolf, pics are free to all so I'd be happy to see it used to fordfestiva.com's advantage!
        1991 Beastiva L BP autoX'er

Comment

Originally posted by Hatch View Post
          It's like cheating isn't it?
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Nice! Congrats!
            Previous owner of 8 festivas... looking for number 9

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
              It's like cheating isn't it?
              Haha I'm sure it would be, with a driver that could take advantage! Gonna see about some racing classes now that the steev is pretty much good to go...

Thanks sleeper!
              Last edited by Hatch; 10-08-2016, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Look for driving instructors who specialize in FWD cars. The problem with most schools is that they teach traditional RWD lines and car control. This is the safest way to teach, because RWD lines in a FWD car are just slow, while FWD lines and techniques in a RWD car are dangerous without lots of experience.
                You can find the instruction you need at DirtFish.
                Last edited by Advancedynamix; 10-11-2016, 04:52 PM.
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

thanks for the name drop! albeit slightly above my current paygrade.. youtube lessons it shall be!

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                    Look for driving instructors who specialize in FWD cars. The problem with most schools is that they teach traditional RWD lines and car control. This is the safest way to teach, because RWD lines in a FWD car are just slow, while FWD lines and techniques in a RWD car are dangerous without lots of experience.
                    You can find the instruction you need at DirtFish.
                    I noticed this at the last track day I went to. They had cones at the "apex" to help people that are learning. Just for reference the tracks' teaching cars are Chargers and Vipers and most people were driving Corvettes, Porsches, M3s, and other high power rear wheel drive cars. By about the third lap I had decided those "apex" cones where completely useless for me. I was apexing three or more car lengths before the cone and using the throttle to control the cars line out of the corner. I could not drive a rear wheel drive car like that because I would be off the track by the third corner.

Sort of funny too was that no one wanted to talk to me until the first time out on the track and then everyone wanted to know how my econo-box was keeping up with their sports cars.

Comment

I am super bumed that i missed this years season but that ok. Ill have a better setup for next year!
                      1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
                      1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
                      1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
                      19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
                      1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by blake4591 View Post
                        I noticed this at the last track day I went to. They had cones at the "apex" to help people that are learning. Just for reference the tracks' teaching cars are Chargers and Vipers and most people were driving Corvettes, Porsches, M3s, and other high power rear wheel drive cars. By about the third lap I had decided those "apex" cones where completely useless for me. I was apexing three or more car lengths before the cone and using the throttle to control the cars line out of the corner. I could not drive a rear wheel drive car like that because I would be off the track by the third corner.

Sort of funny too was that no one wanted to talk to me until the first time out on the track and then everyone wanted to know how my econo-box was keeping up with their sports cars.
                        This is exactly what I'm talking about. Late brake, early apex early throttle and grab any line you want from there!

Comment

Some mo autoX action - this time with Wiregrass Region SCCA at Ft. Rucker

IMG_5571.jpg

23rd out of 43 in overall times!

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

another club, another autoX in the books - this was Gulf Coast Region SCCA outside Mobile, AL

Last edited by Hatch; 01-22-2017, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Autocross season is coming up fast. Im gonna be ready this time. Not clue how ill do (lie - im gonna suck) but i cant wait to get out there and give it a go!
                                1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
                                1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
                                1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
                                19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
                                1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Working...
                                X