Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have you done to your Festiva today!?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I know how he feels. Anything with square headlights, blade fuses, and a dimmer switch on the steering column is "modern" to me! Your lucky if you found someone that old that does alignment. I guarantee he'll get it right and not just "within spec". I remember when an alignment was an all day event. They would actually take the time to tweak the subframe if needed to get it dead on. Then they would take the car out and drive it as many times as required until they were satisfied. They were craftsmen. Now, if it falls within the spec range they don't even mess with it.
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

• I just replaced my ICM because squirrely things were happening, also I replaced my cigarette lighter because those 12v heater defroster things aren't meant to heat a Festiva, but will however heat up the tiny wire on the back of the lighter. Oh and I replaced my windshield wiper sprayer nozzle thingy because mine was clogged and only sprayed the passenger side, which would be great if my car was RHD but alas it is not. All parts were stolen off my rolled car which brought my total to free ninety free and about 10 minutes of my day.

Comment

• ^ can't beat free ninety free
        Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
        Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
        Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
        WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

• That's what i'm saying lol I've stole the front clip out of that car, a seat belt, e-brake cable and countless other things.

Comment

• Bought a junkyard Aspire engine for my Aqua car. It was already pulled and sitting on a shelf so condition and mileage is unknown but the yard does have a warranty.
            Now I just need to source and engine hoist and swap them out. Also need to get the passenger side axle nut off. It is NOT 29MM. All of my other big sockets are customary and 1 1/16 is too small and 1 1/8 too big.
            How far can I move the car without axles in the hubs? The size of the garage I'm working in will require me to move the car out to exchange engines.
            ~Austin
            Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

• Finally have a replacement transmission! Picked it up at the bus depot this morning... hoping to be back on the road on Saturday.

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada
              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Oren09 View Post
                Bought a junkyard Aspire engine for my Aqua car. It was already pulled and sitting on a shelf so condition and mileage is unknown but the yard does have a warranty.
                Now I just need to source and engine hoist and swap them out. Also need to get the passenger side axle nut off. It is NOT 29MM. All of my other big sockets are customary and 1 1/16 is too small and 1 1/8 too big.
                How far can I move the car without axles in the hubs? The size of the garage I'm working in will require me to move the car out to exchange engines.
                You're probably looking at a 30mm socket. As far as the axles not being in the car, it's fine to move the car with the axles out, just as long as the rest of the hardware is mounted solidly.
                In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

• You could always stick a long bolt through the hub with a washer on each end to help hold the hub together.
                  Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                  04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon

Comment

• Today, I bolted the front wheels on, took it off the jack stands and drove it around the block once before backing it in the garage to begin changing the oil pump. It had 70lbs of oil pressure at cold start up. I let it warm up to about 1/4 gauge and idle down to about 800rpm, and it only had about 15lbs. We'll see what happens with the new pump.
                    Brian

Comment

• Picked up my trusty 88L from an auto body shop after they straightened my frame.

Hallelujiah!!!!!! banana time

Shop owner said the driver's side front wheel well panel and portions of the sub-frame had been pushed back almost an entire inch. The old guy pointed out to me how much closer the front left tire sat in the wheel well/closer to the front of the driver's door than the passenger side front tire was positioned to the front of the passenger door. Never noticed that before. Anyway, the driver's door no longer makes a horrendous squeaking noise when opening or closing it (funny because I'm not used to it opening and closing without a sound after driving with it that way for just over 10 years :highly_amused: )

Then.....took it down the road from the body shop to a tire shop to get it aligned. They claimed my Festy would track straight down the road like an arrow. But.....it doesn't. :nono:

They over-compensated the steering wheel....went from being slightly left of center to drive straight down the road to slightly right of center. I'll take it back tomorrow for them to get it right.

Lesson learned: don't drive fast on icy roads in Boise, Idaho.
                      Last edited by Twistiva; 12-13-2012, 10:08 PM.
                      88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
                      88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
                      91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
                      93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

• Originally posted by Twistiva View Post
                        Picked up my trusty 88L from an auto body shop after they straightened my frame.

Hallelujiah!!!!!! banana time

Shop owner said the driver's side front wheel well panel and portions of the sub-frame had been pushed back almost an entire inch. The old guy pointed out to me how much closer the front left tire sat in the wheel well/closer to the front of the driver's door than the passenger side front tire was positioned to the front of the passenger door. Never noticed that before. Anyway, the driver's door no longer makes a horrendous squeaking noise when opening or closing it (funny because I'm not used to it opening and closing without a sound after driving with it that way for just over 10 years :highly_amused: )

Then.....took it down the road from the body shop to a tire shop to get it aligned. They claimed my Festy would track straight down the road like an arrow. But.....it doesn't. :nono:

They over-compensated the steering wheel....went from being slightly left of center to drive straight down the road to slightly right of center. I'll take it back tomorrow for them to get it right.

Lesson learned: don't drive fast on icy roads in Boise, Idaho.
                        Funny all the darn shops tell me slightly right is the correct way. Even when I tell them I do not want it that way. Dead straight is what I want.
                        Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

• Originally posted by rbrown View Post
                          Funny all the darn shops tell me slightly right is the correct way. Even when I tell them I do not want it that way. Dead straight is what I want.
                          Screw that. I'm with you....

I want "straight" to be "straight".

Taking it back tomorrow to get it fully aligned and then some body work and a whoooooole lotta painting in January.
                          88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
                          88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
                          91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
                          93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

• Finished my Aspire swap (on the rear), and installed new stuts

Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
                            Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
                            Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
                            WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

• If you think it brakes better now, just wait until you do the front.

Comment

• Picked up an engine hoist. Found a coupon for a $130 one from Harbor Freight. I've half assembled it. Still need to finish putting it together then prep my car for engine removal.
                                How difficult is it to remove just the engine and leave the auto tranny in the car? On my last engine swap I left the manual tranny in the car and it wasn't that difficult. Took a bit to get the input shaft lined up but not bad overall. I can't get the passenger side axle shaft removed and can't locate a 30MM 6pt 3/4" drive socket in retail stores.
                                ~Austin
                                Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

Working...
                                X