Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have you done to your Festiva today!?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought an impact wrench to get the stupid torque converter bolts off my old engine. No amount of leverage or persons could budge them.
    I succeeded in removing three of four. The forth bolt is now completely round. It was slightly damaged from a socket wrench coming off it, then the impact spun on it. And my gator grip socket chewed it up.

So.... If I can't get the bolt out, I have no torque converter for my new engine. I freaking hate automatics!
    At this rate I'm going to put the new engine in my crappy parts car and scrap the GL auto.
    ~Austin
    Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

• Drill and extract time. When I encounter something like that, I immediately switch to my 3/4 inch eBay breaker bar with fluted impact sockets and apply a little heat to the surrounding surface. Then I proceed to snap the head off the bolt if it doesn't want to come peacefully..
      Last edited by bravekozak; 12-21-2012, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• Lol... I sold a Cell phone this morning on the local classifieds this morning. The lady was turning off her current service before meeting me, and she said: "How will I know what car is yours?" I had to smile as I said, "I'll be the only white ford festiva with a Racing Stripe, and green wheels there..."

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
        1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
        1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
        1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
        1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
        1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
        1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

• Re: What have you done to your Festiva today!?

Drove my Festiva for he first time in five weeks!!!!

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada
          93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
          59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

• No thanks to that buggernuts who bought your spare tranny not two months before the one in your car gave up the ghost hey?

(worst part is my car is still on jackstands in Airdrie... so far I've literally got more use out of the Nintendo you sold me than the car parts)
            Last edited by Tommychu; 12-22-2012, 01:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tommychu View Post
              No thanks to that buggernuts who bought your spare tranny not two months before the one in your car gave up the ghost hey?
              We've had a good laugh about that! I think I even remember saying "watch, my transmission will blow up in a couple of weeks" when you picked it up! Oh well.
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada
              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

• Installed a red LED bulb in the third brake along with a this flasher: http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...odule/195/845/

I am paranoid of large vehicles behind me!

Comment

Originally posted by Skrapbob View Post
                  Installed a red LED bulb in the third brake along with a this flasher: http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...odule/195/845/

I am paranoid of large vehicles behind me!
                  Hey, could you video that? I might do that to my wife's car!
                  In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                  There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

• I will video it and do a write up as soon as I can get someone to run the brakes for me :-)

Comment

• I'm excited to see this too! I once got creative with an ice scraper and clothesline tied to the brake pedal. I needed to see my new LED brake lights myself!
                      -Zack
                      Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

• Made an offer on some tan/brown interior trim parts.

Ain't easy stuff to find, especially in decent condition....
                        88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
                        88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
                        91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
                        93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

• After like 9 months of owning my Festiva, I finally found out what was wrong with the stereo system. It would always short out, and it was really quiet. I found it was a bad ground. Thank god. It was really boring driving in the night time with no radio...

Comment

Well I feel like a idiot now... I bought a transmission from a clubprotege member way back in June. It was shipped from Florida and I disassembled it when it got here and its been sitting around waiting to go to the machine shop and have my 5th gear plate installed. Well today when I was getting everything ready to drop off and I noticed the plate didn't line up with the case. Turns out he sent me a f series instead of a g series like he said it was. :banghead:

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
                            Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

• I MADE PROGRESS.

I bought a metric bolt removal socket kit from Harbor Freight. Every review on it was good so I gave it a shot.
                              Worked like a charm on my rounded torque converter bolt! A friend and a slight tug on a breaker bar and it was out. Amazing, and the 9 piece kit was well worth $20.

Got the new engine switched from Aspire spec to Festiva. Got it INSTALLED! Now just putting various things back on it and I may have a running car.

Now I just need to source some new torque converter bolts. Mine are a bit worn and one is trashed.
                              Does anyone know if they HAVE to be the same exact size or is there a little bit of clearance for longer or possibly shorter bolts? Also, what grade are they? The caps have an 8 on them.

Link to magic sockets:
                              Last edited by Oren09; 12-24-2012, 05:23 PM.
                              ~Austin
                              Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

• Originally posted by Oren09 View Post
                                Also, what grade are they? The caps have an 8 on them.
                                I'd guess it is a metric 8.8 grade. Which is a medium grade (like grade 5 standard) so you could get a 10.9 or if it is a socket head cap bolt (allen head) then you could get a 12.9.
                                I like to switch to socket head style when I can because it tends to be easier to get out in the future if need be.
                                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                                The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
                                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Working...
                                X