Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have you done to your Festiva today!?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went ahead and finally ordered a Shop Manual, and EVTM for the 91' model year. EVTM should help me find all the grounds that I need to clean up.
    Last edited by TorqueEffect; 03-12-2014, 10:31 AM.
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

• I am also saving for my first house as well. So might not get a festy until I get a house too. Just needa win lotto this weekend and ill be sweet haha

Comment

• Tested the Radiator fan in Blue, Not good, was getting sparks when I tried to run the fan on a battery.

I changed it out from one with the JY and decided to use the JY radiator too since it was already on there! Well, bad idea, the radiator held its own for a while then popped! Taking a note: Do not use a radiator from a car that's been sitting in the JY for years!

I got the original radiator ready for install and used another fan I tested from the JY and ran out of day light. I will switch the radiators out another day.
        1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
        1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
        1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
        2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
        2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
        2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
        1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

• Put the original radiator back in and the working fan also on Blue. Ran the car in idle to let it get hot. radiator fluid filled up the overflow tank and started coming out the overflow tube. I shut the engine off and figure I will have to change the Thermostat. Damn, I wish I would have had it changed when matt did the engine swap on Blue.
          1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.

Mike

Comment

• Sounds like something other than the thermostat.
            -Bryant

Comment

• The absolute wcs is a leaking head gasket. Combustion gases could be entering the cooling system making the system build up too much pressure and also make the car run hotter.

Comment

• Originally posted by muleskinner View Post
                Put the original radiator back in and the working fan also on Blue. Ran the car in idle to let it get hot. radiator fluid filled up the overflow tank and started coming out the overflow tube. I shut the engine off and figure I will have to change the Thermostat. Damn, I wish I would have had it changed when matt did the engine swap on Blue.
                Remove the thermostat, run at idle. If it starts warming up, feel the top and bottom hoses. If both are hot and the heat works, the water pump is flowing.
                Oh, do the same test first with TS in.
                Basically, if you have fluid movement, the TS is opening and WP is working. Then you have to consider the possibility of a bad HG.

If the engine sat for a few years, that is definitely possible, but not a terribly hard job.

Running around outside the asylum again with my tappy talky appy
                Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

• Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                  The absolute wcs is a leaking head gasket. Combustion gases could be entering the cooling system making the system build up too much pressure and also make the car run hotter.
                  When the rad fluid was running out the over flow the heater gauge wasn't showing it over heating. The engine that just came out of Blue had a blown head gasket. Where as oil was getting into the radiator fluid and into the air intake, but no rad fluid was dumping out of the overflow.

Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by scitzz View Post
                    Remove the thermostat, run at idle. If it starts warming up, feel the top and bottom hoses. If both are hot and the heat works, the water pump is flowing.
                    Oh, do the same test first with TS in.
                    Basically, if you have fluid movement, the TS is opening and WP is working. Then you have to consider the possibility of a bad HG.

If the engine sat for a few years, that is definitely possible, but not a terribly hard job.

Running around outside the asylum again with my tappy talky appy
                    Check your PM.

Mike

Comment

• Put on 4 brand new tires.

I first bought some 155/80/12 Federals but will be sending them back simply because I was not 100% sure they were intended for cars (one site claimed they were trailer tires). Anyway....

Wow! I'm amazed at how much smoother my ride is! My old fronts were completely shot. The rears had a lot of tread left on them but the rear left got a large gash in it on the inner sidewall so rather than buy 3 I went with a complete set of four. With the front end aligned properly I'm hoping they wear better than the previous 2 I had on there. Unbelievable how much smoother and quieter the ride is!

:thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:
                      Last edited by Twistiva; 03-16-2014, 01:06 AM.
                      88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
                      88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
                      91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
                      93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

• Originally posted by Twistiva View Post
                        Put on 4 brand new tires.

I first bought some 155/80/12 Federals but will be sending them back simply because I was not 100% sure they were intended for cars (one site claimed they were trailer tires). Anyway....

Wow! I'm amazed at how much smoother my ride is! My old fronts were completely shot. The rears had a lot of tread left on them but the rear left got a large gash in it on the inner sidewall so rather than buy 3 I went with a complete set of four. With the front end aligned properly I'm hoping they wear better than the previous 2 I had on there. Unbelievable how much smoother and quieter the ride is!

:thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:
                        What brand tires did you go with and what size?

Oops, never mind I see!

Keep us updated on how the Classics hold up!......
                        Last edited by muleskinner; 03-16-2014, 08:27 AM.

Mike

Comment

• Filled the oil up at only the 2.5k mark.. 1.75Qts!!! I've got a serious leak somewhere or the smoke I see isn't my losing another alternator belt.

Waiting for it to warm up this week so I can put a new valve cover gasket on (the reason I keep losing alt belts). Odd thing is there's NO oil under the car (and it's been parked there daily for a month). Confuses the heck outta me.

-Joe
                          White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
                          White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
                          1988 LX 5-speed
                          ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

• Put a set of original headlights back on the car with silverstar bulbs, I can see at night again lol!
                            1993 Festiva L "Wendy" BP n' stuff
                            2013 Mazdaspeed 3 "The Kraken" -Stock.

Dave Forget

Comment

• Originally posted by Spike View Post
                              Filled the oil up at only the 2.5k mark.. 1.75Qts!!! I've got a serious leak somewhere or the smoke I see isn't my losing another alternator belt.

Waiting for it to warm up this week so I can put a new valve cover gasket on (the reason I keep losing alt belts). Odd thing is there's NO oil under the car (and it's been parked there daily for a month). Confuses the heck outta me.

-Joe
                              When I purchased Shadow the previous owners had the alt belt on too loose. It wasn't enough to keep the battery charged and we had to tighten the belt. The next day the belt burned off. Turned out the altenator was good but the bearing in it was bad. I replaced the alt and all was good.

Red, my other Festy, when we purchased it in West Virginia and drove it back 330 miles it ate almost 2 quartz of oil. No leaking or no burning of oil that we could see. So I don't understand that either.

Mike

Comment

• Today I discovered someone broke into my other festiva over the night needless to say they are now parked in front of the motion light on my garage and every door/hatch is locked on the two in my driveway. The funny thing is I am wondering why they keep breaking into the festivas I mean I have nicer cars with more expensive radios and interiors that seem to go untouched but the festivas that have almost nothing of value in the interior keep getting broken into.

Comment

Working...
                                X