Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have you done to your Festiva today!?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got it running good and left the lights on yesterday. Dang it. I'm so dumb sometimes.
    ;
    www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
    rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
    '92 Festiva L M/T
    '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

• Finally buffed and polished my new fender and did the hood again. They're both nearly as shiny as the rest of my car.
      The bumper and grill are next.

Then I visited one of my old haunts and high centered backing down a trail. I got out 5 minutes later by stuffing crap under the front driver's side tire.

And then, me and a friend of mine played around with a universal trailer hitch. It was designed for trucks and minivans and we could only get one bolt on each side to line up with the tow hooks. Wasn't going to happen, haha.
      I'm not sure why I want a trailer hitch so bad, as I have a truck, but its been on my project list forever.
      ~Austin
      Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

• I've got a class 3 that lines up on the tow hook bolts and the frame rails. I'm just gonna drill the rails and use carriage bolts through the floor with large washers, that should be sufficient fire anything the festiva chassis can handle towing.

I dont recall what it came from but I might be able to get the part number from it is any one is interested.

Comment

• Originally posted by Christ View Post
          I've got a class 3 that lines up on the tow hook bolts and the frame rails. I'm just gonna drill the rails and use carriage bolts through the floor with large washers, that should be sufficient fire anything the festiva chassis can handle towing.

I dont recall what it came from but I might be able to get the part number from it is any one is interested.
          are you serious? through the floor... like the one little layer between the hatch rail and the tire well? no extra supports? just a washer and hope it holds? I think that's way too risky but what do I know

a hitch is attached to the frame or core support of the car for a reason

I hope it works!!

edit>> I'm saying all that in a concerned manner, for your safety and the safety of others. Sorry I focused too much on "floor" and not enough on your use of the tow hooks and rails. I'd love to see your setup when you get going on it. How many bolts you think per side?
          Last edited by walth; 07-21-2012, 06:29 AM.
          Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

• Originally posted by walth View Post
            are you serious? through the floor... like the one little layer between the hatch rail and the tire well? no extra supports? just a washer and hope it holds? I think that's way too risky but what do I know

a hitch is attached to the frame or core support of the car for a reason

I hope it works!!
            Actually, just hooking it up to the tow hooks has worked fine for up to 1200 pounds for me, and I have used the setup Kartracer gave me for a couple years now. Countless times.

Now, for class 3 type work? I dunno.

Oh, and I have towed quite a few Festiva's that way! Some for quite a ways!
            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

• Originally posted by scitzz View Post
              Actually, just hooking it up to the tow hooks has worked fine for up to 1200 pounds for me, and I have used the setup Kartracer gave me for a couple years now. Countless times.

Now, for class 3 type work? I dunno.

Oh, and I have towed quite a few Festiva's that way! Some for quite a ways!
              I think he just acquired a class 3 that fits under the car and looks nice. I would always prefer the 2" receiver anyday..

I also don't think he's intending to pull more than just the "norm" because it's a bigger hitch

tow hooks, yeah, not too bad. technically not meant for a hitch but it works and is about the only option unless you make some new mounts
              Last edited by walth; 07-21-2012, 06:30 AM.
              Walth

Festiva #1: 91 Red L 4/5
              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27981

Comment

• Originally posted by walth View Post
                I think he just acquired a class 3 that fits under the car and looks nice. I would always prefer the 2" receiver anyday..

I also don't think he's intending to pull more than just the "norm" because it's a bigger hitch

tow hooks, yeah, not too bad. technically not meant for a hitch but it works and is about the only option unless you make some new mounts
                Oh, I was HOPING he didn't plan on class 3 loads!

The hitch Jay made had a ball threaded on, then welded in place. Later, I cut the weld, and modified it to accept any ball I want to put on there, when I needed the 2 inch ball.

My trailer has a 1 7/8 rec, Harbor freight. I make that thing WORK!

I like Neanderpauls setup, but I won't likely copy it for quite a while.

Comment

• Changed oil & filter. Castrol High Milage 5W-20 & K&N oil filter.
                  If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

• No, I mean through the floor and the subframe rails, where it lines up. I thought I pointed out that it lines up with the subframe rails...

Funny thing, though... 30 ton lunette hitches are installed often with 4 1/2" grade 8's to a piece of 1/4" plate steel... and they can pull far more than 30 ton without failing.

The thing about putting a bolt and washer through sheet metal is that the load is not on the rear bolts of a hitch. Most of the load is on the forward bolts, which in my case, are lateral, through the tow-hook bolt holes. I knocked the tow hooks off not realizing they were bolted and welded.

The two rear bolts on my hitch actually will penetrate the frame rail, through the bumper rail that fits into the frame rail, and up through the floor, with a large washer under the head of each bolt.

I reconsidered on using carriage bolts, I'm going to use grade 8 hex bolts instead. I can make a cover for the rear floor that doesn't leave them exposed if they bother me.

Comment

• And regarding whether or not I will use it to haul class 3 loads (up to 5k lbs), well, probably yeah, as safely as possible (not on highways, etc). I've hauled more with less.

Comment

• Originally posted by Christ View Post
                        And regarding whether or not I will use it to haul class 3 loads (up to 5k lbs), well, probably yeah, as safely as possible (not on highways, etc). I've hauled more with less.
                        I NEVER expect anyone to be as crazy as me! Let us know the first time you do with no problems, and I shall be upgrading my hitch as well.

Comment

• Installed the salvage door today. $75 worth of paintless dent repair later and a fresh coat of wax.[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG][IMG][URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/img5572b.jpg/] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG][IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Comment

• sweat , ALOT OF SWEAT , LOL ,SOME FOUR LETTER WORDS ,got dirty and more four letter words , p.s. i hate the location of the trans lines to the radiator i will be installing trans cooler on install piss on those hose routings omg what a bear to unhook geees

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Originally posted by runner406 View Post
                              sweat , ALOT OF SWEAT , LOL ,SOME FOUR LETTER WORDS ,got dirty and more four letter words , p.s. i hate the location of the trans lines to the radiator i will be installing trans cooler on install piss on those hose routings omg what a bear to unhook geees

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
                              If you can find one cheep, the oil cooler from 88 Katana 600 fits perfectly in the liter lip of the radiator. Mine has zip tires through the mounting holes.

Comment

• -Zack
                                Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Working...
                                X