Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
    Regarding Rio rear brakes and suspension:

I think I once checked out the brake backing plates of Rios to compare with Aspires and the bolt pattern/measurements did not match. Since the brake drums themselves looked very similar, I had hoped that we could take newer rear drum assemblies off Rios. Although I may not have done this properly, I doubt they will work, unless someone can come up with a good mod. Remember, this is in reference to the spindle bolt pattern. I don't think they match.

Rio rear springs? If someone has used them, then okay. I'll try to grab a pair when I can to compare with Aspire/Festiva rear springs.

As for Rio front ends and possibly other parts, the first (and easiest) thing to do would be to go to Rockauto.com and begin part number matching. Rockauto also has the cutoff date for Rio front strut mounts and brake parts (IIRC it's 7/'02 when the front end changes were made).

This begs the question:

Since I used early Rio brake calipers on my Festiva (calipers, pads and rotors are same as auto Aspire), how much of the front end was changed in late '02? Will the newer brake calipers bolt onto Aspire knuckles? Someone needs to try that. It is possible the Rio went to a knuckle redesign though, so it may not work. I do know from looking at control arms, the Rio went from CAs that looked similar to Aspire (but not the same) to arms that had two body mounting points (IIRC) instead of one. The dual front stabilizer bar setup has always been different, too. I doubt any Rio control arms are usable without extensive fabrication.

Early Rio front hubs may be a different story. I believe Jim has found that they appeared to be the same but had slightly different tie rod mounting measurements. This may not be a problem if we can find tie rods and tie rod ends to use for adjusting to Festiva/Aspire spec.

The big thing about Rios is not just "bigger, better" parts, but also "newer" and "more common" parts. Compare the newest Aspire stuff (1997) at about 14 years old to the earliest Rio stuff (2001) at only nine years old and you see what I mean.

Now we also see that engines, halfshafts and transaxles may open up some new swaps or mods. The engines are one key to this, but in an unexpected way: the Rio 1.5 and 1.6 DOHC design is an interference one; that is, when the timing belt fails the pistons eat the valves and that's why there are plenty of non-running Rios sitting around driveways and in junkyards. Apparently, good used Rio engines have gotten expensive and folks simply can't afford the several thousand dollars it would take to have a mechanic install a used, running Rio engine. As a result, we benefit!

Methinks there is a lot more we can do with Rio parts, and possibly, some other early Kia models as well. The exploration has begun...

Karl
    Me and the other Karl were looking at the Rio's stabilizer bars a few days ago. Interesting setup they have. Instead of the big stabilizer bar they have 2 individual bars that tie into the lower radiator support. The actual stabilizer bar is a much smaller one that uses links and tie in the strut. Almost looks doable if you got the geometry right but more than I want to do.
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Ha! The only thinking I've done on the Rio front bars was to figure out how to remove the links when harvesting the struts! I use a pair of small bolt cutters, but you could also use a small hacksaw. I forget what someone else used, but it was different from me.

Just remember if you are after Rio front struts, you have to remove the links or you'll just be left sitting there scratching your head!

Once I get the Rio struts home I use a recip saw to cut off all the stuff I don't need. I believe this involves two unnecessary brackets. Then I file them down a bit. Gets rid of an ounce or two of unsprung weight, plus two fewer protrusions to snag stuff on.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

We just popped those off with the 3ft cheater bar I have. The Escape has the same end links so I dealt with them before and knew they wouldn't come off easy.
        91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Kia Rio 5 speed gear ratios (2001 anyway).

1st) 3.42:1
          2nd) 1.90:1
          3rd) 1.30:1
          4th) 0.97:1
          5th) 0.78:1

Nice selection. Remarkably close to 2nd generation Mazda Proteges.

1st) 3.416:1
          2nd) 1.842:1
          3rd) 1.29:1
          4th) 0.972:1
          5th) 0.775:1

The only bad part is the Rio has a super steep 4.17:1 final drive. That will have your engine screaming down the highway. Bring tall tires.

For example, with a 175/70-13 tire, a Rio goes down the highway at 70 MPH with the engine turning 3500 RPM.

A stock Festiva does 70 with 500 fewer RPM.

A Festiva with stock height tires and that transmission will need 3750 RPM to go 70 MPH. Adding the 175/70s will lower that by only 250 RPM.
          Last edited by JPT; 09-13-2011, 05:55 PM.
          Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
          '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
          '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Any way to change the final?
            In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
            There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

I'd love to put the '90 to '94 Protege final drive (3.62:1) in that box. You would get a useable first gear (the Rio trans first gear in a car with some power would fry tires) and a 5th gear that would let you cruise down the highway 700 RPM less.

Unfortunately, if it is F or G-series based, changing the final drive would mean, along with swapping differentials, swapping the Rio counter shaft out for the Protege one. Which would also mean pressing all the gears (synchros, etc.) off the Rio shaft and putting them onto a Protege one (the counter shaft has the pinion gear machined into it).

A fifth gear swap may be possible (and a lot easier). The '90 to '94 Protege has a 0.731:1 fifth. This would lower cruise RPM by about 230.

I'd still rather have the 3.62:1 gear.
              Last edited by JPT; 09-13-2011, 06:31 PM.

Comment

185 60 14 at 70 mph I turn 3450 seemed high but my exhaust is loud on hulk . With the b6t dead stop level ground I can release the clutch with not touching the gas in first gear ... I do like the gearing its nice equal through the pattern .
                New build on the way .

Comment

What flywheel and clutch did you use with the KIA trans?
                  Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                  93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                  91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                  93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                  15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                  88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Rio flywheel and stock Rio clutch . Holds fine up till Nine pnds then it slips so I'm moving up to a clutch master six puck sprung hub this weekend . I want to stay with the Rio flywheel so I have options for the Rio dash cluster and electronics .
                    New build on the way .

Comment

The rio "sway bar link rods" or whatever they're called almost got me.. i didnt have any cutting tool for the job and the nuts were rusted and spun the ball joint..so i unbolted the knuckle, then the top mount and just used the force and weight of the strut to pop the ball joints out of the link rod lol..it almost had me for a minute tho.

Here's some pictars of an (early) 02 Kia Rio. These struts/springs are on my car.. for the last 5000 miles or so.. the difference between early and late 2002 would be the top mounts, 2 bolt v 3 bolt, wether or not you could swap top mounts is undetermined (by me anyway)

2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by shadetree View Post
                        185 60 14 at 70 mph I turn 3450 seemed high but my exhaust is loud on hulk . With the b6t dead stop level ground I can release the clutch with not touching the gas in first gear ... I do like the gearing its nice equal through the pattern .
                        How is traction in first gear?

I'm thinking of buying one of these transmissions. They're cheap and can be found everywhere around here.

Comment

Traction .. well it will surprise you really . Traction is great . I set my car up with large iac pipe and a large srt4 intercooler to slow spool time and wheel spin/hop down ,so unless I really get on it I don't even see boost until half way through second gear which is perfect for a dd . If I ever drag this car I will start in second gear and see how it does . Although mounting this trans is a piece of cake ,I dropped the crossmember one inch on all four corners used a hammer and beat the hump flat on the back of the crossmember and drilled four holes .. that's it ... This put me in the FACTORY position I'm using the fms front mount . And all the factory Rio trans mounts ..
                          New build on the way .

Comment

Pics?
                            Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
                            93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
                            91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
                            93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
                            15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
                            88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

could be conflicting info, but this site shows a 3.9 final drive http://www.automobile-catalog.com/auta_details1.php
                              and this one http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z3226/Kia-Rio.aspx
                              Last edited by kellen302; 09-14-2011, 07:51 PM.
                              Owner of:
                              1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
                              In progress:
                              BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

Im in the middle of this and shadetree's research has helped a lot. I'm going to just reuse an e series in my swap but this is great info. To make it a sticky i think the best way to make it consistant is to go from a newcomers standpoint who has zero upgrades to his car and is ready to take the plunge. Its bouncing back and forth bewtwen driverain and suspension. Get a working list of KIA upgrades from suspension and one for the transaxle, although we all understand once you are under there and have to service one you are dealing with the other, and VV.
                                1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Working...
                                X