pure-gas.org

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pure-gas.org

Would like to give 100% gasoline(not worrying about non-energetic additives) its own thread & to that end I've given the title, pure-gas.org, a website where gas station listings throughout the U.S., have 100% gasoline. There are other websites showing where 100% gas can be obtained, but with my limited experience, pure-gas.org seems to have very up-to-date & comprehensive listings. 100% gasoline doesn't have anything to do with octane ratings, but generally deals with non-ethanol gas. If other posters can delineate other ingredients to be avoided, please post.

My experience with 100% gasoline in the past has been very uninspiring. In my case, I may have used gas, said to be 100%, that wasn't 100% gas. Also, I only used one, at most two tanks of 100% gas to make quick & I believe, inaccurate determinations of the abilities of 100% pure gas.

Hope to explore 100% gasoline here, not only for its mpg capabilities, but also for possible extra power, drivability, increased range (associated with greater mpg), engine wear & longevity capabilities, etc. Hopefully many Festiva posters know more about 100% gasoline than I do or this thread will be short.

So far this thread is boring. Let me tell you the exciting part. One of my tanks in my '88 carbureted Festiva, soared to 57+mpg! When I mentioned this outstanding result, some posters were stunned, believing I talked in generalities, one even saying I didn't compensate for undersized tires. I, myself, wondered if the fuel hose may have clicked off prematurely, & my tank wasn't really filled. However, the following tank, altho not near the travel tank giving 57+mpg, was still 47mpg, which I consider v. high for the travel conditions I was under at the time & the winter-blend 10% ethanol that has been my experience for this time of the year. As for undersized tires, I compensate for this by determining the off-set, both by highway mileage markers & by my GPS.

Tho my fuel-injected Dodge Caliber & my wife's fuel-injected Hyundai Accent aren't showing the outrageous results of the Festiva, my Caliber just turned in its best ever tank, 37.3 mpg. Again, that is comparing a late November tank of 100% gas that had several cool-downs on the car over 3 days, to my best ever 35.6mpg of 10% ethanol, higher mpg summer-blend(as opposed to 10% ethanol,lower mpg winter-blend) from a nice hot summer day of continuous driving & NO cool-downs.

Both Festiva & Caliber have set highest mpg marks within 3 weeks of using 100% gasoline, during this latter part of the year, where 10% ethanol, winter-blend gasoline gives lower than yearly norms for mpg.

Beyond mpg, my Caliber with its CVT ultra smooth transmission, seems to give very slightly better smoothness & responsiveness, especially at lower speeds, when being very carefully feather-footed.

I was hoping for extra smoothness from 100% gasoline for my Festiva, which IS carbureted & NOT smooth, especially at times of shifting. But Festiva continues have its smoothness problems, & is as it has been for 21 years when nearly new. Sometimes a can of HEET helps to lock up water in the gas tank, which I think is a problem here in the sopping wet Pacific Northwest. HEET seems to help smooth Festiva operations at times.
    Last edited by litesong; 11-25-2011, 05:54 PM. Reason: Simplify

Quickly highlighting the best effect of 100% gasoline from my post above.

Both Festiva & Caliber have set highest mpg marks within 3 weeks of using 100% gasoline, during this latter part of the year, where 10% ethanol, winter-blend gasoline gives lower than yearly norms for mpg.

Comment

subscribed
      97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
      CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
      Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

I've got both a Festiva and a Caliber too.
        1993 Festiva GL The Besty Festy

Comment

Originally posted by crusher773 View Post
          I've got both a Festiva and a Caliber too.
          The Festiva & Caliber make a fairly good combo. Do you have the CVT or 5 speed manual? The CVT Caliber makes for elegant motion, compensating for all the varying mountain & hill slopes here in Washington state with ease & smoothness. Alternately, the CVT Caliber makes stop & go traffic jams survivable with comfortable if crawling ease.

Of course, when gas prices spike, roll out the Festiva & forget about your money problems.

Comment

Sub'd, I always wanted to try pure gas, i thought it was all mixed with additives as soon as it came off the barge.
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
              Sub'd, I always wanted to try pure gas, i thought it was all mixed with additives as soon as it came off the barge.
              We are NOT talking about non-energy producing additives. We are talking about 10% ethanol that is mixed with almost all gasoline in the U.S.

Very quickly, the closest no ethanol gas stations I saw to you, were Parkersburg, WV or Newport, Ohio. There are few no ethanol gas stations in your state or West Virginia. Go to pure-gas.org. Pick your state or West Virginia to see if there are stations closer to you.

My pure gasoline station(in the next town) has a fairly good price & both my Festiva & Caliber have mpg gains better than the little extra price I pay. The Festiva seems to have made a good jump in mpg(which already was excellent) & my very smooth Caliber seems to be very slightly smoother than before. My wife's Hyundai Accent's mpg for non-ethanol gas seems to have gone up, but not as much of a jump as my Caliber.

One thing I will now mention. Whether your gain in mpg from using pure gas as opposed to 10% ethanol gasoline is greater or not greater than the extra price you may have to pay for pure gas, any mpg gain you do obtain, is like making your gas tank bigger. At this point, I think my Festiva's extra mpg from the use of pure gas is conservatively 6%. Thus, I can treat my 10 gallon gas tank, as if it is 6% bigger. In effect, not only am I getting 6% better mpg, but my gas tank is as if it were 6% bigger. I HATE STOPPING TO FILL MY GAS TANK. I would be out-raged to get 15mpg, just for the fact of having to tie myself nearly continuously to a gas station.
              Last edited by litesong; 11-27-2011, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Zoom Zoom,

litesong is a bit sloppy in his use of terms.

And now he pulls the term "non-energy producing additives"out of another orifice.
                Typically, gasoline will have add packs in it even before it arrives on the barrage to the distribution centers. At the distribution centers more adds, specific to a brand, and others, are added to the gasoline when loaded on to bulk tanker and transported to your local station. Incidentally, they all burn and they all produce energy. Additives are typically in the ppm to 1% or so level from AO's, anti-foaming, suspension agents, and anti-fouling agents and others.

So litesong, what "non-energy producing additives" were you trying to exclude?
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Undersized tires?

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                    And now he pulls the term "non-energy producing additives"out of another orifice.
                    Incidentally, they all burn and they all produce energy. Additives are typically in the ppm to 1% or so level from AO's, anti-foaming, suspension agents, and anti-fouling agents and others.
                    Since your 'additives burn & produce energy', can they be effectively produced to economically run gasoline powered engines? Have they been used in large regions to displace gasoline, as Brazil uses ethanol to displace gasoline & the U.S. partially displaces gasoline? If your additives can be produced to economically displace gasoline, as ethanol tries to displace gasoline, let us discuss your additives here, also.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
                      Undersized tires?
                      Yes, I have been accused of improper inflation of my pure gasoline mpg figures because my tires were undersized, throwing off the accuracy of my odometer & resultant pure gasoline mpg figures. But I correct my possible erroneous odometer readings with both highway markers & GPS readings.
                      Last edited by litesong; 11-27-2011, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by litesong View Post
                        Yes, I have been accused of improper inflation of my pure gasoline mpg figures because my tires were undersized, throwing off the accuracy of my odometer & resultant pure gasoline mpg figures. But I correct my possible erroneous odometer readings with both highway markers & GPS readings.
                        What size are they?

Comment

A friend of mine just found a non-ethanol gasoline station(OK Gas & Smoke Mart on 21st & Broadway, Everett) selling for the extremely low price of $3.51 per gallon. In my limited experience, that is the first non-ethanol gasoline station selling for BELOW lowball 10% ethanol gasoline. The owner is very enthusiastic about his non-ethanol gasoline.

The OK Gas & Smoke Mart is listed in pure-gas.org with map directions.

Comment

i filled up on thanksgiving for 3.19/gal in pomeroy ohio.. anywhere else its 330ish
                            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by litesong View Post
                              Since your 'additives burn & produce energy', can they be effectively produced to economically run gasoline powered engines? Have they been used in large regions to displace gasoline, as Brazil uses ethanol to displace gasoline & the U.S. partially displaces gasoline? If your additives can be produced to economically displace gasoline, as ethanol tries to displace gasoline, let us discuss your additives here, also.

Hey, lets discuss them any way so you can use the proper terms when you attempt to, again, discuss something beyond your comprehension.
                              First off you need to do more research and find the difference between additives and extenders/diluents.
                              The additives I speak of are used to keep the fuel from polymerizing in your tank, keep things suspended into solution, keep the fluid from foaming excessively when filling your tank, keep injectors clean, and remove or keep deposits from forming, among other things.
                              They are used in both "pure" gas as well as the ethanol contaminated versions for the same purpose.
                              Again,loadings measured in PPM to maybe 1%.

At 10%, or more, ethanol is hardly an additive.

I suspect your extraordinary MPG is likely caused by an improper fill, more so than an under sized tires.
                              FYI, mile markers suck when it comes to estimating a proper distance.
                              Stick with the GPS.
                              You might even want to use fuelly.
                              Darlo, a member here, has a pretty high MPG over many tank fulls.
                              The difference here is, I trust his number way more than yours!
                              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                              '92 Aqua parts Car
                              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                              Your holy ghost will not save you.
                              Your God plutonium will not save you.
                              In fact...
                              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                              X