No announcement yet.

pure-gas.org

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you agree that destuctiveness is the antithisis of creativity?
    If so, why not let it go...get back to something a little more helpful or usefull.
    For instance, do you know what the octane is of methanol is, because I've seen numbers from 109 up to 113!? What do you know about it.
    97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
    CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
    Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

About a third to half way down the article it lists RON and MON of methanol, not as high as I would have expected.
      I would have agreed with your 109 to 113.
      I would not use it in your tank except in an emergency and then would quickly flush/dilute/burn it off.
      It is considerably more corrosive to plastic and metal parts than ethanol.
      Now that said, it is used in racing, so there must be components made to run with it.
      Why do you ask?
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Well like I said, I'd read this range from 108 to as high as 113 and was just wondering.
        I inject it into my turbocharged B6 engine by way of a "Cooling Mist VariCool II" injection system. I actually run a 66/33 mix of methanol/water for the purposes of cooling the combustion chamber. I inject it into the charge pipe a little bit in front of the throttle body. I get the methanol for about $2 a gal about 8 gal at a time.

Comment

methanol is most commonly used in racing, in fact we run it in our sprint car. it is some wierd stuff. it is very corrosive to rubber components and it leaves a white powdery residue on valves, injector nozzles, combustion chambers, etc. it makes some serious horsepower, has a very powerful burn, and burns very cool.
          07 Chevy 1500. 5.3 E85
          91 Festiva DD B6, M5, AC, PS
          90 Festiva figure 8 racer
          90 Mustang LX, LSX, 4L80. AFONOMO

Comment

I know there's a big difference if I run the tank out of the juice:-(
            No real way to tell how much more HP it makes me but I spray it from the 5 psi point up to 10 pounds.
            When I put the turbo system on my Nissan, I'll take the system off the aspire and get the bigger trunk mounted tank for it.

Comment

From the Federal government's fuel economy reporting website:

Frequently asked questions about fuel economy and gas mileage, estimating greenhouse gases, and the gas guzzler tax

Do EPA fuel economy estimates account for the use of ethanol blends that are common today?

No. The EPA fuel economy tests use 100 percent gasoline, and no adjustments are made to account for ethanol. Most conventional vehicles using E10 (10 percent ethanol) will experience a 3 to 4 percent reduction in fuel economy.

Comment

From the pure-gas.org website, comments page:

Pure gas is a nonpartisan issue. It's not a liberal or conservative policy, it's the result of heavy lobbying by the ethanol industry, like ADM, combined with a blunder by the EPA in the attempt to spur the adoption of E85 vehicles.

Comment

Here is a website with comments from huge numbers of people saying their mpg are dramatically lower than the Federal governments claim of mpg losses of only 3 to 4 percent from the use of 10% ethanol gasoline:

Comment

My mpg is plotted on fueleconomy.gov, for both my cars & my wife's car. An excellent line graph is computed & drawn of our individual tanks of gas. On another webpage, my individual compiled mpg for my cars are compared to other individuals participating in fueleconomy.gov. Our 5 year line graphs show the effect of switching to ethanol-free gasoline. My Dodge Caliber's compiled total 5 YEAR running mpg has bumped up one tenth of a mpg already, in the 3 WEEKS I've been using ethanol-free gasoline.

AND this is in the period of traditional mpg decreases due to cooling weather & the regional switches to winter-blend gasoline.

Comment

Here is a more(?) regimented test of ethanol-free gasoline in comparison to various percentage amounts of ethanol mixed gasolines. The tests were conducted by the American Coalition for Ethanol.

Comment

i could lose 10mpgs by running e30 and i still wouldnt switch to regular. i prefer home-grown renewable fuel but thats just my views on the subject.
                        07 Chevy 1500. 5.3 E85

Comment

Originally posted by schreurs1 View Post
                          i could lose 10mpgs by running e30 and i still wouldnt switch to regular. i prefer home-grown renewable fuel but thats just my views on the subject.
                          Do you like food, or wasted tax money?

Ethanol is great, yes... As long as it's not being subsidized by the gubmint. Why use corn, anyway?

Just because it's grown doesn't make it renewable, either. Think about the energy required to prepare the ground, plant, grow, harvest, process, etc... Thats not even considering the cost of all those things, just the energy. Which is curtly produced primarily by diesel powered equipment. Hm... Seems pretty renewable to me, yup.

Comment

yes it does take energy to produce energy.

how much energy does it take to get regular gas into your tank? where does it come from? we have enough oil in this country to be self sufficient but we still bring it in from accross the pond. so until were self sufficient, ill keep burning corn.

and i do agree with you Christ, corn is a food too and unfortunatly ethanol takes away from that food source and id like to see an alternative start being used. i think switchgrass and wood has been researched and last i heard corn cobs were being researched as well.
                            07 Chevy 1500. 5.3 E85

Comment

Here is one test developed by a Finnish company determining there was little difference in fuel consumption between ethanol-free gasoline & 10% ethanol blend gasoline.

One test point which was significantly different from my particular driving technique & hopefully many other drivers is quoted below from the article:

The driving programme used for the test drives was the FTP72 programme, which features more aggressive accelerations and a high average speed than corresponding EU cycle.
                              Last edited by litesong; 12-03-2011, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schreurs1 View Post
                                yes it does take energy to produce energy.

how much energy does it take to get regular gas into your tank? where does it come from? we have enough oil in this country to be self sufficient but we still bring it in from accross the pond. so until were self sufficient, ill keep burning corn.

and i do agree with you Christ, corn is a food too and unfortunatly ethanol takes away from that food source and id like to see an alternative start being used. i think switchgrass and wood has been researched and last i heard corn cobs were being researched as well.
                                You WILL see Biomass fuel produced here in the midwest very soon. I have been working with a company on providing equipment for such. Plants will be built...its already in the works. That's about all I can divulge at this point
                                Last edited by blkfordsedan; 12-03-2011, 04:11 PM.
                                Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                                04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                                62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                                Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
                                X