No announcement yet.

MPGs run, Aspire SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still think you need to ADD FP (higher then stock)... just as a for instance: Skippy has head work and FMS comp cam and yielded 44+ mpg on my trip to Mass. this was at 70mph. I run 42 psi.

have you run a compression test since the cam install? and what does your idle vacuum look like?

all of those adjustments should have netted a wider range of results than what you've been posting. something is asque.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

• Compression recently checked and is excellent, 179 - 190. How do I check for vacuum? Does HF have a cheap vacuum gauge kit I can buy, for example? Or go to a McParts store?

Edit: here is one from HF. Good enough? What pressure or pressure range should I expect to see at idle?
      Last edited by TominMO; 10-21-2013, 08:02 PM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

• HF has a fantastic unit for $20 ( i have 2) of that very same model. just tap into a vac port that the EVAP system uses on the intake, and you're good. you should see 20" or better (higher is better). Scrappy pulls 23" with a factory cam, 10* timing, full exhaust, full port/polish job and 700 rpm idle speed (B6). I'll have to check what Skippy does with the FMS cam, FPR at 42psi and head work on an otherwise factory B3.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

• Tom your boost gauge from your festiva will serve as a vacuum gauge
          -Greg
          Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
          BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
          Redneck Engineer
          FOTY - '09
          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

• ^ yes, but not terribly accurate.

Comment

• Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
              HF has a fantastic unit for $20 ( i have 2) of that very same model. just tap into a vac port that the EVAP system uses on the intake, and you're good. you should see 20" or better (higher is better). Scrappy pulls 23" with a factory cam, 10* timing, full exhaust, full port/polish job and 700 rpm idle speed (B6). I'll have to check what Skippy does with the FMS cam, FPR at 42psi and head work on an otherwise factory B3.
              I'm also wondering if the design of the cam itself is leaving me with less vacuum, due to having more valve overlap. Is that a possibility too?

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
              Tom your boost gauge from your festiva will serve as a vacuum gauge
              Oh right. Just pulled it out to see the range. Goes up to 30" Hg.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

^ yes, but not terribly accurate.
                Off to HF in the morning then....you say to tap into a port that the EVAP system uses. I have an unused vacuum connection with a rubber plug on it at the rear driver side of the upper intake mani, next to where the vacuum hose is for the FPR. Will that unused connection do?

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• that's your Vac gauge port!!! USE IT (muahahahaha)

Comment

• The factory service manual says the intake manifold vacuum should read greater than 17.7 inches.
                    And to subtract 1 inch from the specified reading for every 1000 feet of elevation above sea level.
                    Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

that's your Vac gauge port!!! USE IT (muahahahaha)
                      As you command......:notworthy:

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• Originally posted by rmoltis View Post
                        The factory service manual says the intake manifold vacuum should read greater than 17.7 inches.
                        And to subtract 1 inch from the specified reading for every 1000 feet of elevation above sea level.
                        Thanks. Looking forward to results tmw.
                        Last edited by TominMO; 10-21-2013, 08:50 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• How's the car running overall? Are you just fine tuning it or does it have an issue?
                          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                          1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                          1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                          1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                          1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                          1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                          1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

• Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                            How's the car running overall? Are you just fine tuning it or does it have an issue?
                            I'm having trouble getting it to run right. Maybe it is a vacuum issue; I will look into that tmw.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• Been a busy day. Snagged another Aspire seat for my Festy at the JY; painted the seat frame feet, which were rusty; installed seats, and the mudflaps Greg sent me; and checked for vacuum leaks on the Aspire.

Went to HF and got the vacuum tester, $15+tax. Started the car and let it warm up. The idle would not stay constant. First I replaced the PCV hose, which had a crack which I had "fixed" by covering it with electrical tape at the split. Replacing it with a good hose helped a little. Then I put the vac gauge on the vac port next to the one for the FPR. That vac port also had an issue; there was a rubber plug on it that was one of the soft rubber aftermarket ones, that will decay easily with heat. I had tried to fix it w/duct tape. That apparently wasn't good enough, because once I put the gauge on in its place, the idle settled down to even and the gauge read a constant 19.0 - 19.5; very little variation. When I took the gauge off I put on a better OEM rubber plug, which I had just snagged at the JY. All other vac hoses looked in good shape. Started car and it idles fine now.

So tmw, another run! FP @ 40, cam +2, ignition 13. I will keep FP and ignition constant and change only the cam timing, retarding it to -2 the next time, to try to bracket what it likes.

Thanks to everyone who is offering suggestions; this now seems more like a group effort, with me at the tip of the spear. I was getting kinda bummed about no results; maybe that will start to change now.
                              Last edited by TominMO; 10-22-2013, 04:26 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• Sounds promising.
                                Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Working...
                                X