MPGs run, Aspire SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !!!!!!!!

How did you know I had soft rubber aftermarket caps on like 5 unused ports and a high idle issue! I'm gonna swap out those little things as soon as I find a good replacement.. Any ideas for something new to use?
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

• Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
      !!!!!!!!

How did you know I had soft rubber aftermarket caps on like 5 unused ports and a high idle issue! I'm gonna swap out those little things as soon as I find a good replacement.. Any ideas for something new to use?
      Even stock JY ones are better.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

• another thing to experiment with is the vacuum itself... see if you can get it into the 21-22" range.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

• Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          another thing to experiment with is the vacuum itself... see if you can get it into the 21-22" range.
          And how would I go about doing that? Do you mean checking it when I adjust the cam, for instance? And what does this mean? An indication of best efficiency?
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

• I think arty should do a nice little how to video of how to set and adjust base idle with regards to vacuum at idle! I would like to be in on the secret too! No matter what I've done I can't get it above 19..
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

• a combination of cam and ignition timing (at a given idle speed) will vary the vacuum signal. typicaly the old schoolers would set the ignition timing with the vacuum gauge (setting it when the signal is greatest) and then test driving for ping. if the engine pinged, they'd pull 2* out and retest, or put in better fuel. the same thingcan be done with the cam (to a point). Just keep in mind that the cam timing has more effect on where in the rpm band the power comes in verses the lobe timing (grind) which affects how the cam makes power (as well as where, but like i said before, that part can be moved).

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

• So I would probably go about it by adjusting cam timing to a given setting, then rotate the disty to get the optimum vac, and note the disty's position.

Again, what is the point/advantage? Max power, max fuel efficiency? I guess what I am asking is, Can I tune for highest idle vacuum instead of going on 100+ mile runs?

Edit: here's a nice little page on interpreting vacuum readings:
                http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

Last edited by TominMO; 10-22-2013, 08:52 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• Arty, you mentioned that Skippy had a vac reading of 22, and that he also had head work. Does Skippy have higher compression than stock? That might be why he reads 22 vac.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                    So I would probably go about it by adjusting cam timing to a given setting, then rotate the disty to get the optimum vac, and note the disty's position.

Again, what is the point/advantage? Max power, max fuel efficiency? I guess what I am asking is, Can I tune for highest idle vacuum instead of going on 100+ mile runs?

Edit: here's a nice little page on interpreting vacuum readings:
                    http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

power = efficiency Tom, so yes, both. every engine has a sweet spot and that's what you're trying to find. Using the vac gauge will help you get there faster (another tuning tool to use along with your timing light and test drives.

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                    Arty, you mentioned that Skippy had a vac reading of 22, and that he also had head work. Does Skippy have higher compression than stock? That might be why he reads 22 vac.
                    Scrappy has the 23" of idle vac. He has a full exhaust, head work, stock cam for the moment, head shaved .020" and is a B6, so the compression should be close to that of a factory B3 (9.4:1). the head was from a manual 323 (9.2:1), the autos had higher compression to compensate for the parasidic loss of the trans (only reason i can think of for the change). also, a compression test is as follows: 184, 165, 185, 184. i havn't pulled the head to investigate cyl #2 yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                      power = efficiency Tom, so yes, both. every engine has a sweet spot and that's what you're trying to find. Using the vac gauge will help you get there faster (another tuning tool to use along with your timing light and test drives.

Scrappy has the 23" of idle vac. He has a full exhaust, head work, stock cam for the moment, head shaved .020" and is a B6, so the compression should be close to that of a factory B3 (9.4:1). the head was from a manual 323 (9.2:1), the autos had higher compression to compensate for the parasitic loss of the trans (only reason i can think of for the change). also, a compression test is as follows: 184, 165, 185, 184. i haven't pulled the head to investigate cyl #2 yet.
                      OK, thanks, that clarifies things.

Now I have another issue, a noisy pulley bearing apparently. Have to look into that.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• Didn't go for a drive today after all. I realized that my time would be better spent dialing in higher vacuum.

What I did was set vacuum based on the base timing (i.e., when you use the jumper wire to take the ECU out of the pic). I varied the cam timing and attempted to get the vacuum to 22 inches on the gauge. That turned out to be no problem: I could do it at any reasonable cam setting. So I decided to use a cam setting that got me to 22" of vacuum with a minimum of base ignition timing. I figured that would be defined as "most efficient".

Here are the results:
                        Cam timing........+2....0....-2....-4....+4....+1....+2
                        Ignition timing....14....15..15....25....20....18....15
                        Bear in mind that my ignition timing numbers are visual estimates, since the pulley only goes from 0 to 10 BTDC.

I ended up putting it back to +2. It looks like 0 cam timing is right in the middle of the sweet spot. In some cases I could get the vacuum to above 22 (like 23 or 24), but only at rather extreme ignition timing settings. Don't want to have to run race gas! I'll run premium and back off ignition timing a little if I hear pinging.

BTW, when I took the jumper wire off and re-started the car, at normal idle the vacuum was at 21. So this brings up a question: should I set it at base timing or when the ECU is engaged? Either way, it is significantly better than the 19.5 I had before.

I'll probably go for a drive tmw.
                        Last edited by TominMO; 10-23-2013, 06:03 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• Note to above: the fact that 0 degrees cam timing is the middle of the sweet spot is further testament to Matt's design. Also, what this says is that an adjustable cam gear is unnecessary. Now to go for a run and see what happens.....

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• No you want to have ecu contolling idle timing but it will be close like that
                            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

• Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
                              No you want to have ecu contolling idle timing but it will be close like that
                              ?? Are you saying I should adjust ignition without the jumper, or with?

@ Arty: I hooked up my combo boost/vac gauge to see how accurate it was. When the HF gauge read 21", the combo gauge read 16.
                              Last edited by TominMO; 10-23-2013, 07:06 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• No you cant adjust idle trying to get best vacuum with no ecu once its on, idle and advance comes up which should pull more but thats based on valve events
                                1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Working...
                                X