No announcement yet.

MPGs run, Aspire SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I throw ideas out there because they have been discussed in this thread, and other discussions of your cars. I do not have tools for headwork. Id have to pay. This is a journey you are documenting and asking for input, its been interactive the whole way. Someonr else with a daily driver with no backup vehivle probably wont buy what u or i already have, but if they take away info for later use, choose a good tire size, add an air dam then they will have their own solid gains they can share or keep to themselves with you to thank. I quietly have copied msny things. Underhood inside interior, outside festiva that others have exploited, the things i have not seen i ask about, or do them and share. I wish I was comfortable enough with electronics to make one of those do it yourself real time fuel consumption monitors, such as MPGUINO...those are the end all answer all we're doing here without having obd2
    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

• Yes bhearts i want to add extra egr under highway conditions but its just something i think about while im on the highway burning too much fuel, havent pieced anything together yet. I threw away my 1988 carb manifold that i could have used.
      1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

• In theory, the max fuel economy with throttle body manipulation will happen at wide open throttle. If you could more or less eliminate your throttle body and use an inert gas to limit engine rpm, that'd be the best mpg you could get. The throttle body is the biggest restriction in the intake tract, so eliminating it makes your intake super efficient

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
          Yes bhearts i want to add extra egr under highway conditions but its just something i think about while im on the highway burning too much fuel, havent pieced anything together yet. I threw away my 1988 carb manifold that i could have used.
          use an aspire intake... they also have an egr with a pintle position sensor!
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

• I was referring to exhaust manifold. I might get a header and weld egr bung at collector, who knows. Nothing thats going to happen in near future although i do have everything available save a header to make all this...the beauty and curse of owning two dozen vehicles all makes and models
            1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

• Originally posted by bhearts View Post
              In theory, the max fuel economy with throttle body manipulation will happen at wide open throttle. If you could more or less eliminate your throttle body and use an inert gas to limit engine rpm, that'd be the best mpg you could get. The throttle body is the biggest restriction in the intake tract, so eliminating it makes your intake super efficient

Ahhh, once again, direct injection with open intake throat, like a diesel.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro
              Last edited by jason_; 11-11-2013, 04:56 AM.

Comment

• I would get one of those handheld laser thermal scan toys from Harbor Freight or Home Depot and a bunch of copper tubing. Do some coils around the exhaust pipe back into your system to preheat your coolant faster and then also wrap your new supplental air pipe around either the exhaust pipe or new coolant copper to get the air warmer. this works wonders on carbed engines and it's probably not necessarily in fuel injection but if there's room which there is on this car that is worth a shot as well. For the cheap auto enthusiast who cant steal construction site or has a crooked HVAC guy in the family the copper maybe more of a cost
                1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

• Talked to the manager and asst manager at my local gas station; they were clueless about winter gas formulation, and the changeover. But I suspect it has already happened. I found an article on the web about the changeover last year, on Oct 1, 2012 in Houston. So this being November, and much farther north and colder than Houston, I'm thinking it has happened. Plus gas has gotten noticeably cheaper, which according to the article also happens (some of this is also probably supply and demand).

So I will probably only do one more run this year, on Friday, to compare 36 PSI to the 42 PSI on my last test.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

• What do they do in the winter formula that makes it so different

Comment

• change in additives and alc. content that changes the burn rate and BTU content.
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

• Here is one link I found:
                        Jerry
                        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

• Tom, any plans to resume this in the near future?
                          Jerry
                          Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                          93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

• Haven't decided yet what I want to do. Except the MPG cam is coming out, for sure. Keeps throwing codes on me. I'm thinking I'm done with testing Danny.

For a while I was thinking about transplanting Matthew's head on Danny, but I like Danny too much as is, and will probably end up turboing him.
                            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

• Why are you removing the MPG cam? What codes is it throwing?
                              Last edited by Team Lightning; 03-24-2014, 08:24 PM.
                              Jerry
                              Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                              93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

• Originally posted by Team Lightning View Post
                                Why are you removing the MPG cam? What codes is it throwing?
                                Just noticed this question when I was doing a search. Basically it was O2 sensor codes, 15 and 17 IIRC--i.e., the cam was doing what it was supposed to do, and running too lean for the O2 sensor's liking, so the computer threw the codes.

This cam would do well in an Aspire head (since it's a roller-rocker design cam), with a Weber bolted up to the head. Then you should see some really good MPG numbers, once the Weber is dialed in for fuel economy.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                                X