MPGs run, Aspire SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True dat!
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

• Originally posted by rmoltis View Post
      Chances are your running e10.......Unless you have a pure gas station nearby which I personally don't.
      pure-gas.org shows no 100% gasoline in Pittsburgh, altho a few stations in outlying regions. Most are higher octane 89, but one in Porterville, north of Pittsburgh has some 87 octane. You should carefully try airports & especially marinas because they have permission to dispense 100% gasoline. Often they are unadvertised, behind buildings or on small fuel docks you may have to carry 5 gallon containers to fill.

Comment

• Originally posted by litesong View Post
        pure-gas.org shows no 100% gasoline in Pittsburgh, altho a few stations in outlying regions. Most are higher octane 89, but one in Porterville, north of Pittsburgh has some 87 octane. You should carefully try airports & especially marinas because they have permission to dispense 100% gasoline. Often they are unadvertised, behind buildings or on small fuel docks you may have to carry 5 gallon containers to fill.
        When Greg took my B3 Festy to the track, we first made a swing by exactly what you described--a lone pump all by itself, on an airfield, where we put aviation gas in. It was 110 octane IIRC.
        Last edited by TominMO; 11-05-2013, 10:43 AM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

• I feel genuinely disappointed that no one suggested you try a vacuum gauge earlier on this thread. I can't see a better way to interpret modifications than with one of these. It'd even do wonders on aero, you could see that you have less engine load which would show an increase in aerodynamics

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Comment

• I really got to know, why didn't you go with the high compression pistons, or try a head mill. The peak fuel economy will happen when you can maximize power throughout the rpms, and have the lowest possible timing advance before pre detonation, because the piston would be fighting against its direction the least. The one guy that kept chiming in about his head he had mill 48 thousandth, why didn't you throw some water injection on to spray when your load got high enough

Comment

• Originally posted by bhearts View Post
              I really got to know, why didn't you go with the high compression pistons, or try a head mill.
              As I have said before, more than once, what I am trying to do is test various (relatively inexpensive) methods of getting better mileage, that anyone could do with a minimum of installation difficulty. That's why I started with aero mods. Now I am working on the cam. And buying a vac gauge is a nice cheap and useful tool too.I am not going to pay big bux for high-comp pistons, head milling, etc. That's not the point of what I am trying to do here.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• OK, I went on another run today. Ignition at 13 BTDC, vac at 22", FP at 42, premium gas. Drove 114 miles and refilled with 2.2 gallons, for a result of 51.8 MPG. The weather was clear, in the mid-50s and pretty breezy, so not the best of atmospheric conditions. But hey, hope springs eternal. Next I will drop FP down to stock (~36/37), and hope it doesn't throw a code. If no code, I will go on another run on Monday. It will get much colder here starting Tuesday, for about three days or so.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• I agree to both sides. Tom needs in car vacuum gauge, i have one. Tom was worried about his head gasket earlier and is familiar with servicing his own he can get a second head and do it up with smaller cc chambers and a mill while still driving his car. His adjustable cam gear is a good thing to have if you deviate from anything more than general cleanups on a head rebuild. With weather colder id just concentrate on aeromods and getting to operating temps as soon as possible.
                  1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

• Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
                    I agree to both sides. Tom needs in car vacuum gauge, i have one. Tom was worried about his head gasket earlier and is familiar with servicing his own he can get a second head and do it up with smaller cc chambers and a mill while still driving his car. His adjustable cam gear is a good thing to have if you deviate from anything more than general cleanups on a head rebuild. With weather colder id just concentrate on aeromods and getting to operating temps as soon as possible.
                    The in-car gauges are not very reliable, at least the one I have. I don't use it.

Second head? Did you not just read that I am trying to do the things that are cheap and simple?

Adjustable cam gear showed that the sweet spot was at 0*, so it turned out to be unnecessary (except to verify 0*).
                    Last edited by TominMO; 11-08-2013, 05:39 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• I dont care if a vacuum needle is off. As you drive its instant feedback to maintain speed at same load. Inaccurate or not it still moves good or bad according to mods or not.

In the same sentence i implied do not take apart a running car to save fuel! If you have to, and mill a lot, a gear is handy becsuse zero may then be off one degree.
                      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

• Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
                        I dont care if a vacuum needle is off. As you drive its instant feedback to maintain speed at same load. Inaccurate or not it still moves good or bad according to mods or not.

In the same sentence i implied do not take apart a running car to save fuel! If you have to, and mill a lot, a gear is handy becsuse zero may then be off one degree.
                        But you did mention me doing head work. Even if I had that knowledge and tools for it, it is out of the scope of this thread. Where does cylinder head work fit in with cheap and simple, for non-automotive machinists? Bear in mind that spending $200 for a cam and $100 for an adjustable cam gear is already more than many or most people will do. Head work by someone who knew what they were doing would cost more than both of those put together, by a factor of two or three. I've explained clearly what my agenda here is; you don't seem to want to hear it.

Not to mention that even just installing a cam might be out of many people's comfort zones.

Cheap, simple mods. Are we clear now?

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• Tom have you accounted for the lower temp air entering the engine (more dense) along with the change in fuel grade (winter blend)?
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

• I figured lower temp was a bit of an issue, but don't know how much. When I was at the gas station, I forgot to ask if they have switched over to winter blend yet.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

• A head mill would cost a hundred dollars, be a good time for some general engine maintenance head gasket work. But, on the other hand, I know the Honda insight guys will pull intake air directly off of their exhaust pipe, they can get intake temps around 150. That'd really help atomize those hydrocarbons, alot better than 40f would. I've also always wanted to play around with fuel warming, but....in the winter time it would be exceptionally difficult to maintain a gas tank temp warmer then ambient. The most proficient way is to use coolant juices to xfer heat over to the fuel, but it'd take a good run of transferring distance to get the fuel up to temp.

Comment

• If that makes sense to anyone, gasified gasoline would take up more cylinder space, which would displace more oxygen, and it'd swirl better on the compression stroke... more oxygen displacement makes the engine think it's smaller. Kinda like super heated steam in the combustion would. Brilliant idea if no one has ever tried it.

Comment

Working...
                                X