No announcement yet.

b6t at 16 psi!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The rocketchip just adjust fuel levels to allow you to run more boost and not go lean.

But i am now burning oil bad! The broken line and lack of oil has caused some other internal damage. Once higher in the rpm i am getting bad noises. No boost is showing. Lack of power.

Motor is gonna get pulled now and looked at with a fine tooth comb.

This sucks
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
    19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

That sucks, I was looking forward to seeing how the water/meth worked out for you.

Comment

Me to. I guess i should have looked the car over better before turning it up like that. O well. I am looking around for other turbos. Also i hope to pull the inlet line off tonight and check for shaft play. I hope its just an oil seal that went bad. IDK tho. My luck say its the entire turbo. Ill be sure to look the car over better before the next drive tho.
        1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
        1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I would really like to drive the capri over the winter but then again maybe i wont.
          1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Problem with turning up the boost is the turbo can't handle the extra boost. It will wear the turbo out faster. It's just a baby turbo anyway.
            1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

i HAVE FOUND ONE! I will go to a bigger turbo once the festiva is used to the b6t in there. until then i need to keep with the baby turbo. Ill turn it down to about 12 and just be happy with it. 16 was kinda crazy tho. And i only took it up to about 5k. Good thing to cause that oil line went but im not sure as to when it went. Anyway the capri will be back in action soon. Work shall continue on the festiva!
              1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Okay, to correct previous posts. No, it will not sweat oil. The oil drain isn't under pressure. The biggest problem with replacing the oil drain on these engines is that it's a compound bend and it's not easy to use straight hose to make the bends. If you try, it almost always kinks. When it kinks the oil backs up and leaks into the compressor and turbine housings and the engine burns oil.
                I agree that using a heater hose for hot oil is a bad idea, but I used a pre formed heater hose for 40k very very hard miles with methanol injection and the hose didn't leak a drop. It was a very stout little pre formed hose with the perfect bends in it. The bends that the b6t oil drain has to make will even kink steel braided hose.
                Zeph should have designed the drain because he is right, they should have used a steel flex hose, but that's not the case with these turbo mazda engines. They used rubber and after almost 30 years the rubber is not very rubbery anymore. The hose is no longer available from Mazda or ford. This is why I used a pre formed heater hose in desperation. After 2 years of searching I did eventually find a good flexible factory drain hose, but my heater hose was still doing its job just fine. My advice is to take the original hose to an auto parts store where they let you dig through all the heater hoses. Use the original hose as a template to find a nice stout one with the right inside diameter and the right bends preformed into it. You'll have to cut it to length. Preferably, find a gates brand hose.
                Last edited by Advancedynamix; 12-21-2015, 09:09 PM.
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
                  The rocketchip just adjust fuel levels to allow you to run more boost and not go lean.

But i am now burning oil bad! The broken line and lack of oil has caused some other internal damage. Once higher in the rpm i am getting bad noises. No boost is showing. Lack of power.

This sucks
                  Actually, the factory tune will provide more fuel than the factory turbo can provide air. The Rocket Chip is a leaner tune and it disables the overboost protection. The factory tune is pig rich above 12 psi.
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

O! That sounds better. New turbo bought. Just gotta wait now. Meth kit came in today. Will install this week and be ready for the turbo to get here. Capri will live again soon.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
                    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                      Actually, the factory tune will provide more fuel than the factory turbo can provide air. The Rocket Chip is a leaner tune and it disables the overboost protection. The factory tune is pig rich above 12 psi.
                      It is not a leaner tune, it is richer than factory. Overboost protection is done via an external mechanical switch.
                      The factory tune cuts out at around ~12psi on the B6T ECU.
                      1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                      High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                      Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrocketmannnnnnnn
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost
                        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

With the overboost switch disconnected the factory tune runs in the high 10:1 A/F range with a vj14, and straight through 2.5" exhaust with stock fuel pressure and stock injectors at 16psi between 4500 and 6200rpm. A richer tune would produce less hp than stock. I've driven both my B6T cars with wideband monitoring them for years and they both run rich under boost, even without the water meth hooked up. My EL prototypes ECM runs leaner than stock (mid 12:1 range) and makes noticably more TQ. I assumed your tune was similar to the EL tune Matt.
                          Last edited by Advancedynamix; 12-21-2015, 11:00 PM.

Comment

i HAVE FOUND ONE! I will go to a bigger turbo once the festiva is used to the b6t in there. until then i need to keep with the baby turbo. Ill turn it down to about 12 and just be happy with it. 16 was kinda crazy tho. And i only took it up to about 5k. Good thing to cause that oil line went but im not sure as to when it went. Anyway the capri will be back in action soon. Work shall continue on the festiva!
                            Normally, on these engines, if you starve them of oil the lifters will tick like crazy until they pump back up. That's the tell tale sign that you ran it dry. If the lifters got really noisy when you started it back up you should check your rod bearings. The rod bearings will be damaged long before you fry the turbo from lack of oil. You shouldn't automatically blame the turbo for oil consumption on these engines. There are a few other factors which more commonly cause them to burn oil long before the turbo. Also, the turbo is really easy to check. Pull off the plastic intake pipe (or aluminum if you've got an HKS or one of Matts pipes) and check the shaft for end play. End play will cause the turbo to use oil. If the turbo has no noticeable end play then your consumption may be from the PCV system (very common on higher mileage b6t engines) or valve seals. Also, like I mentioned before, if the turbo drain isn't free flowing then you will definitely consume oil through the turbo.
                            Last edited by Advancedynamix; 12-21-2015, 11:34 PM.

Comment

This sucks
                              Just read this. Ouch, that doesn't sound good. What kind of noises is it making?

Comment

High up in the rpm it's a slight grind. It's definitely the turbo. I pulled the in left hose and the shaft has play. New turbo on its way tho.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
                                1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Working...
                                X