No announcement yet.

b6t at 16 psi!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It could be a simple head gasket issue. And the motor is just not getting eneough pressure to build boost. That would explain the smoke. I will pull the plugs tonight and see if one or 2 are wet with coolant.
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
    19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I have had turbos that the wheels literally fell out of the housing when I took them apart (seized/broken shaft) that weren't making any particularly awful noises. You admittedly ran it low on oil, my bet is you've got engine troubles. Get that filter open like suggested, and run a compression or leak-down test.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
        It could be a simple head gasket issue. And the motor is just not getting eneough pressure to build boost. That would explain the smoke. I will pull the plugs tonight and see if one or 2 are wet with coolant.
        That was what kept failing on my turbo aspire. Head gasket twice.

Comment

A head gasket definitely could cause all the symptoms your having. A leak down test should give you an idea of the condition of the top end of the engine, but that won't show any bearing damage (unless the damage is really bad).
          Pre turbo exhaust leaks make weird noises at high rpm, like the fan hitting something and they will limit the turbos ability to spool as well.
          If your turbo was hard to spin then it is probably damaged. I've seen the O2 sensor end come off and jam in the turbine before on these engines.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Also..Check cylinder #1. If you burnt a piston that will be the first one to go on the B6t ..fuel rail can run that one lean...and from the sounds of how it was being treated that is a possibility..easy enough to check as well. A B6t with a ventilated piston will put you in the realm of mosquito duster.

Comment

oil was clean and clear until i bleed in it. A screw driver went into my hand.

but the filter was clear. oil looked good.
              1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
              1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
              1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

turbo spins but has a very slight pressure to it. I think it feels good. does not spin with 0 effort but does feel nice and good. Oil in the intake tubes going into the motor.

I really think i just fried the seals. I think i might have cought it in time to save the turbo. will need a seal kit but i bet its ok.

no coolant in the cylinders tho. Head gasket might be bad but the plugs all looked/great. lots of carbon build up tho.

i think i just over spun the turbo while trying to find the boost setting (my dumba**) started with the boost controller to high. Although i didnt boost but for a split second like that it clearly was enough to snap my shit up!

will wait on the new turbo untill i do anything else. plus my hand hurts now...
                1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Turbochargers don't have seals like what you may think. If the shaft doesn't have any in and out play then it's most likely not where that oil is coming from unless your drain pipe is clogged. Oil in the inlet pipe is usually caused by oil blowing out the valve cover into the inlet pipe through that PCV hose that's on the drivers side of the valve cover. I bet there is oil in that if you check. Lots of things can cause this. Anything from sloppy valve guides or bad valve seals to broken rings or pistons. I've had one engine that blew oil out that hole and it had great compression and leak down and when torn apart it looked fine. I think the valve guides may have just been too worn and that pressurised the valve cover enough to blow oil out.
                  Last edited by Advancedynamix; 12-22-2015, 08:06 PM.
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by azgtx View Post
                    Also..Check cylinder #1. If you burnt a piston that will be the first one to go on the B6t ..fuel rail can run that one lean...and from the sounds of how it was being treated that is a possibility..easy enough to check as well. A B6t with a ventilated piston will put you in the realm of mosquito duster.
                    See, that's great stuff to know.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

b6t at 16 psi!

I ran my stock b3 out of oil right after i bought it. Got my license and bought the car and went on a 2500km solo road trip 2 weeks after i bought it. Longest i had ever driven in one day before was 200km and that was the day prior to get new tires for it, lol. Anyway, did 1100km the first day but i ran right outa oil going up one of the bigger mountains in the rockies. I was In 3rd and just kept loosing power so i pulled over half way up and checked the oil. Nothing on the dipstick. I added what i had in the car to get to the top of the hill and then borrowed some 15w40 from a trucker to top it off. Took almost 3litres. There was under half a litre left in the pan when i ran out. All that did was wreck the valve seals. It burned a litre of oil every 600km after that. Compression was still around 110-130 on all cylinders and it ran prefect still. Later on i beat on it a bit one day and it started burning a litre every 300km. *When you would start it in the winter it would shoot a good thick streak of black oil about 3 feet behind the car out the tailpipe. but still ran good! Still ok compression, just the valve seals. Tried straight 30weight once in the summer, used 10w30 meant for deisel trucks in it but it still burned though almost 2/3 of the sump capacity for each tank of gas, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by ryanprins13; 12-22-2015, 09:51 PM.

Comment

looks like i need to check the pcv tomorrow. I might end up just pulling it out early and going ahead and doing the rebuild. Redo the heads clean and port them a bit. all new gaskets and shuch. I might have time in the am to check the pcv if its easy to get to.
                        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Are you using the stock boost gauge? They can really suck. You could be pushing 20+ and read 15 on the stock gauge. 20 will cause a lot of trouble really, really fast
                          I've also had a stock gauge read dead nuts accurate. Seems to be luck of the draw with em
                          1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                          High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                          Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

I didnt get to pull the pcv but i did look into the hose that goes to the inlet. It was dirty but not wet with oil. Will pull the other side tonight. I would guess that it going to have wet oil in it as the intake had oil in it.
                            1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

It'll be interesting to see the results of the tear down.

Comment

I really want to put the good turbo back in it and fire it up to see if that takes care of my problems. Even if it does i still think i will pull the motor and rebuild it just because it will be a DD in the near future. Gotta wait on the turbo and then gotta find time to swap it out.
                                1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Working...
                                X