No announcement yet.

b6t at 16 psi!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The guy i bought the car from said it was rebuilt but i cant see that being the cases. A rebuilt turbo would not have had oil lines that were that old. I think the turbo was just bad to start with. Then lack of oil and the couple times of over boost trying to dial the numbers in just fried it. I will replace it and hope that does the trick for me. If not ill have to dig into the motor to find the issue. I have lots of shaft play in the inlet of the turbo. It didnt turn very smoothly. It didnt feel like it was grinding but it did take slight effort to spin by hand.
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
    19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Plain bearing turbos are supposed to have some radial play as long as the wheels don't rub the housings. It's the axail play that is bad. Turbos don't typically make a grinding sound when they are bad, some times they will make a high pitched squeal or shreak. Usually they just spool louder and louder. On a tight B6t with factory air box you can barely hear the turbo, but when they start to get sloppy the turbo makes a louder and louder whoosh until the whoosh goes away completely. Lol. Your grinding sound may be something else. Sometimes the alternator will start to make a sort of high rpm growl that can be heard inside the car. Also, timing belt tensioners can make that sound too.
      Last edited by Advancedynamix; 12-22-2015, 08:59 AM.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Hmm great points. So given my situation what should i look at?

when at idle it is now smoking. More gas more smoke. boost is not building. When actually driving and heavy on the gas it kinda sounds like lifters tapping or maybe like a fan hitting a shroud or something (didnt really try to make the sound happen as i just limped it home and shut it down asap). The return line from the turbo blew out. It was old and soft as can be (finger went right threw it). I never did see a low oil light or check engine light. I changed the blown out line with a section of pre bent heater hose. Changed the oil and filter. Still getting lots of smoke, high rpm noise (the same noise when moving but heavy on the pedal). Seems like as soon as it wants to build boost it just makes a noise instead.

What should i check and or do?
        1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
        1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I never did see any oil stains in the driveway. I drove maybe 1-2 (more like .5-1) miles after the turbo started to make noise and no boost. Car started to make smoke when i stopped about 2 blocks away from the house. I checked it out saw the leak went straight home. Still no oil stain on the driveway. Plenty of oil came out when i did the change as well.
          1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I have personally run a vj14 at 15-16psi for over 40k miles of abuse without any issues at all. Tweak started out with the 160kmile turbo that was on my donor car (which had a destroyed engine from neglect) and that turbo lasted for over 20k miles at 15+ psi until I switched out the stock ECM for one tuned by G force (also leaner tune according to my wideband). That tune allowed 7800rpm, and the high rpm wasted that poor turbo within 3 sessions at Firebird. I swapped that turbo for a tight vj14/11 hybrid and wasted the hybrid in 2 sessions along with melting 2 of my pistons. That's when I went back to a stock tune and a beautiful vj14 that AZGTX sold me. That 14 is still on the car after 5 thousand trouble free track miles, 25k daily driven miles, 10k cross country miles and 2 years of use at 15-16 psi with a stock tune and water methanol. I briefly ran my EL prototypes tuned ECM on Tweak on the street to compare air fuel ratios. The EL ECM was consistently leaner on boost than the factory tune and had a 7500rpm redline. The car was noticably faster, but I didn't dyno the car to verify hp gains. My guess was around 190-200 ft.lbs of tq. Fuel mileage also improved with the EL ecm. I swapped back to the factory tune because I know it will keep the engine together through hell and back, and with the way I drive that's more important than the extra power.
            Last edited by Advancedynamix; 12-22-2015, 09:26 AM.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
              I never did see any oil stains in the driveway. I drove maybe 1-2 (more like .5-1) miles after the turbo started to make noise and no boost. Car started to make smoke when i stopped about 2 blocks away from the house. I checked it out saw the leak went straight home. Still no oil stain on the driveway. Plenty of oil came out when i did the change as well.
              Check for a broken exhaust manifold, or blown out O2 sensor or loose turbo on the manifold. The turbo may be bad, and passing oil, but I've seen way too many poeple instantly blame the turbo for everything.

Comment

What do you think my issue could be? The turbo on mine has play but not in and out. I couldnt pull or push the blades (in and out of the turbo. I could lift them a bit tho.
                1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Could the bad 02 or mani make it burn oil? Ill grab a video of it tonight!
                  1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I do have the center crack in the manifold. It didn't look bad enough to worry about tho.
                    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Also, if the lifters started ticking you probably lost oil pressure. The rod bearings don't like that at all. You may want to check those before you do more damage. Leaning hard on an engine with damaged rod bearings usually leads to a lot if other damaged pieces of metal being spewed out the hole that forms in the back of the block after a rod let's go.

Comment

With the smoke plus no boost that makes me think tubro let go. tonight i will start it back up and see if i cant get the noise chased down without doing damage. Will try to get a video as well. I hope as is well with the motor
                        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

If the turbo is actually good what would be the next thing to look into (motor wise)?
                          1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

b6t at 16 psi!

Your oil pressure light doesnt come on until 2 or 3 psi and thats too late to save your engine if your not idling. Cut your old oil filter apart with tin snips. Metal in it means you damaged the motor for sure, no metal doesnt mean much, but i would check that first. Did you check the dipstick before draining the oil or measure how much came out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by ryanprins13; 12-22-2015, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Do you have the old oil still? Run a magnet through it and see what you pick up.
                              Oil filter is better because if you can tell what type of metal it is that will help you determine what part of the engine it came from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I do have the oil and filter still. will look in it tonight.
                                1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Working...
                                X