Roll cage pictures needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll cage pictures needed

A welder from work is getting a bender and needs practice. He said he will build my cage and do my exhaust work for the price of materials. Does anyone have any good cage pictures? I would think its best to keep it simple for now. I will have the dash out so it can be a full cage. Any pictures would help
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
    19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

These were taken while we were building the cage in our LeMons car. After this we put the cross bar in the hoop, vertical supports in the door bars and a support bar/grab bar in the halo. Pretty basic cage.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

What to do that in mine?
      1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
      1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
      1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I wish we didn't have to have it in our car. This car will never handle as good as an uncaged Festiva.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
          I wish we didn't have to have it in our car. This car will never handle as good as an uncaged Festiva.
          So for a daily driver/autox car what is the beast plan for safety? If i ever crash on the street i dont want to be just dead...
          1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Harness bar and a 7point harness.
            Charlie has a great design for a harness bar.
            No car too fast !

Comment

A roll cage is only safe if you're fully harnessed in to a proper FIA race seat and wearing a helmet. This isn't practical in a street car because you can't look for traffic at intersections and while merging. If you aren't tightly harnessed in with a helmet on then a cage will most likely cause more harm than good. The cars original structure was designed to absorb impact and protect the driver. Adding a bunch of steel to the car in random places is very counterproductive to the energy absorption properties of the car. What this means is, you're going to feel an impact much more severely with a cage, and if you aren't tightly strapped to a proper seat, that crash energy could tear you to pieces, literally. Cars are designed to squish for a very good reason.
              The best way to ensure your safety and the safety of those around you is to be responsible. Take driving seriously. Learn proper car control in a safe environment and never underestimate the variables which could be present on public roads. If you set a Festiva up properly, and take driving seriously, you'll be in the safest car on the road. These cars use very little space on the road, so avoiding obstacles is much easier than with larger, heavier cars. These cars can stop and turn much faster than any other car on the road. The strongest steel in the world can't protect a dangerous driver.
              Last edited by Advancedynamix; 10-31-2016, 01:37 PM.

Comment

A roll cage is only safe if you're fully harnessed in to a proper FIA race seat and wearing a helmet. This isn't practical in a street car because you can't look for traffic at intersections and while merging. If you aren't tightly harnessed in with a helmet on then a cage will most likely cause more harm than good. The cars original structure was designed to absorb impact and protect the driver. Adding a bunch of steel to the car in random places is very counterproductive to the energy absorption properties of the car. What this means is, you're going to feel an impact much more severely with a cage, and if you aren't tightly strapped to a proper seat, that crash energy could tear you to pieces, literally. Cars are designed to squish for a very good reason.
                The best way to ensure your safety and the safety of those around you is to be responsible. Take driving seriously. Learn proper car control in a safe environment and never underestimate the variables which could be present on public roads. If you set a Festiva up properly, and take driving seriously, you'll be in the safest car on the road. These cars use very little space on the road, so avoiding obstacles is much easier than with larger, heavier cars. These cars can stop and turn much faster than any other car on the road. The strongest steel in the world can't protect a dangerous driver.
                So how about a picture or two of a good harness bar setup? I have seen 2 different kinda floating around. One on the pillar and one just under the rear window.
                1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Regular car you get hurt in crashes over 60mph. You get hurt bad in bad crashes at or over that speed. Caged car keeps you from getting squished by the car itself but you get hurt worse at low speed collisions than you would without the cage. All the force of the collision gets transferred to you instead of the car. Unless your planning to be really stupid on the street you actually dont want a cage. Like he said above^ properly strapped in so the cage helps makes you more dangerous on the road because you cant see easily enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got it no cage. so i still need a good harness bar setup. Any good ideas on that?
                    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Roll cage pictures needed

Even if you made your whole car out of boron steel thick enough that it wouldnt crush your confidence level would go up far enough that you would end up crashing at speeds high enough that internal injuries would kill you. Doesn't take a lot actually to do that

Thats what makes festivas safer. You know youll die if you do something stupid so you drive safer. Other vehicles give you a false confidence and then dont protect you like you think they will

Last edited by ryanprins13; 10-31-2016, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Haven't these cars been known to squish too much and involve passengers into the squish? Ive heard a bunch of stories with how festivas crumble with any force (reason A of why festivas are so light) I would like to daily festivas in the future as many people do but once I have kids if I don't trust my festivas structure in a crash to Volvo I go

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                        Festiver
                        93 L find/5 speed
                        BP/g15mr swapped
                        Aspire brake swapped
                        Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
                        stripped and sold due to rust

89 festie
                        rustful
                        maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

93 festie
                        advanced suspension
                        kai/skeeter camber
                        b3t/g15mr

I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

Comment

Running into a solid object at speed in any car is a bad idea, a Festiva or a Volvo. These cars are much lighter and actually MORE rigid than most consumer cars. They have a pretty effective crumple structure, but they weren't designed to protect the driver from ultra high speed collisions. However, your typical minivan is more dangerous than a Festiva at high speeds. The more a vehicle weighs, the more that weight is multiplied by inertia in a collision. A heavy vehicle will put more force into crushing itself in a crash. Furthermore, heavy vehicles keep bouncing and spinning longer than lightweight vehicles.
                          If heavy gauge steel was the answer to safety, then there would be a much much higher causulty rate in Formula 1 racing. The truth is that engineering is more effective than heavy materials. The Festiva chassis is a well engineered box for it's size. All in all though, avoiding collisions should be more of a concern than trying to survive them.
                          Last edited by Advancedynamix; 10-31-2016, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                            Even if you made your whole car out of boron steel thick enough that it wouldnt crush your confidence level would go up far enough that you would end up crashing at speeds high enough that internal injuries would kill you. Doesn't take a lot actually to do that

Thats what makes festivas safer. You know youll die if you do something stupid so you drive safer. Other vehicles give you a false confidence and then dont protect you like you think they will

This.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
                              So how about a picture or two of a good harness bar setup? I have seen 2 different kinda floating around. One on the pillar and one just under the rear window.

Comment

Working...
                              X