Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greywolf View Post
    Which Rio?

* If Ford has them, I bet they FORD PRICED them too...

I think I've about figured out a jig I can make to drive out my hubs that will be supported by a pair of jack stands.

It will use a chunk of 4x4 with eye bolts or something to suspend a knuckle beneath it, with a hole bored in it to drive a wooden dowel or some kind of punch through.

I'm still thinking over the simplest and best way to do it without mangling anything or having to pend more money than the average Joe would want to.

Done right - I plan to come up with something simple, easy, and that you could build out of scrap even if you broke down in La Paz or somewhere
    [QUOTE=scitzz;731965]

Not only can you knock it apart like I did in that video, but the rotunda tool you bought should have come with a knuckle separator as well. Instructions on how to use it on the inside lid.
    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

It is possible to get them apart using the press. I suspended the knuckle from the top using HEAVY tow chain and high grade bolts through the strut hole and tie rod hole. I put an impact socket under the top of one of the chains looped over the top to get it close to level and 2-3 short pumps on the bottle jack pops it loose. Must easier on my antique arms than the pounding method, which I have done, too.
      "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
      "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
      "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
      "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
      "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
      "Wenona"-89L parts car
      "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
        Now I'm confused... units change from inch pounds to foot pounds but the N.m numbers don't change. I'm assuming this is a typo!
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada
        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by jawja jim View Post
          It is possible to get them apart using the press. I suspended the knuckle from the top using HEAVY tow chain and high grade bolts through the strut hole and tie rod hole. I put an impact socket under the top of one of the chains looped over the top to get it close to level and 2-3 short pumps on the bottle jack pops it loose. Must easier on my antique arms than the pounding method, which I have done, too.

I made a press. It spins the bearings while it presses the hub out. This preserves the bearings, so they can be reused if necessary (we don't always have new bearings at the race track).
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by jawja jim View Post
            Seeing Charlie's picture reminded me that I'd mistakenly said "strut hole"
            but it was thru the pinch bolt hole. Sorry, if this confuses, but it was too late to edit.
            "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
            "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
            "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
            "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
            "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
            "Wenona"-89L parts car
            "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post

I made a press. It spins the bearings while it presses the hub out. This preserves the bearings, so they can be reused if necessary (we don't always have new bearings at the race track).
              Looks so much like the rotunda tool.
              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Working...
              X