Junkyard Tranny.... now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jglutz
    ^^That's not a bad idea....It's you car....maybe thou, before you dump in the good stuff...you might want to put a few miles on with some cheap stuff or even transmission flush just to clean it out.
    Yep already picked a gallon of regular cheapo ATF up. Does the festiva have a drain plug for the MT fluid? While im on the subject of that question where do you fill on this thing and how do you know its full?

Comment

5 Speed....drain plug bottom right below the driver side output...Fill thru the Speedo cable port, right above the passenger side output...capacity, 2.6 qts.
      Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
      The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Also, you can check the level, which should be done periodically, by pulling the speedo cable from the trans. I know you should check it, that is how I lost the only trans to go in my car, it got a leak when I parked in dirt, and never noticed till it was too late....

Now I check that bugger like once a month
        Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
        Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
        "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

5 Speed....drain plug bottom right below the driver side output...Fill thru the Speedo cable port, right above the passenger side output...capacity, 2.6 qts.
          2.6qts? is that right? The computer at work tells me 5.2 but that wouldn't be the first time it was wrong.

Comment

^Did you notice how small that trans is ? 2.6 is all you need.
            Renegade-Midwest Festiva Inc.Illinois Chapter

93 Festiva L Aspire 5sp Lots of upgrades & mods
            99 Dodge Caravan SE
            95 Taurus SHO auto 265hp
            94 F150 351W auto (for sale)
            78 Chevy elcamino 500hp 383 stroker
            78 Chrysler Cordoba 360 (for sale)
            03 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
            95 Honda 1500 Goldwing SE
            95 F150 4X4 6 inch lift,38" mudders
            95 Iszuzu Trooper LS

Comment

Originally posted by fordfest78
              2.6qts? is that right? The computer at work tells me 5.2 but that wouldn't be the first time it was wrong.
              that 5.2 may be for the re-fill for an automatic trans after a fluid and filter change. i have never changed the fluid in an auto trans. so i don't know for sure.
              1960 willys pickup
              1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
              1989 festiva
              1990 festiva for parts
              1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

5.2 pints = 2.6 quarts
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

^^There's a thinking man!
                  Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                  The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

Originally posted by FB71
                    5.2 pints = 2.6 quarts
                    i've got a bad habit of only thinking in quarts,i forget there are smaller measurements also. C.R.S. is coming with my old age!!!!!
                    1960 willys pickup
                    1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
                    1989 festiva
                    1990 festiva for parts
                    1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by FB71
                      5.2 pints = 2.6 quarts

Wow... they should label it in our work computer... wonder how many times I gave out the wrong amount ....

Comment

^^That's not a bad idea....It's you car....maybe thou, before you dump in the good stuff...you might want to put a few miles on with some cheap stuff or even transmission flush just to clean it out.
                        I have heard that it is better for your engine/transmission, to stick with the kind of oil as its used before, and using the same king can provide more benefits than switching to a 'better' oil. just something i heard.
                        Proud owner of 92L, 350KM, Home made muffler, sounds like a truck! 16 years without replacement of anything but filters! 5spd EFI, Anyone else's shifter look like its from a quarter-ton?

Comment

Originally posted by IL4Festiva
                          I have heard that it is better for your engine/transmission, to stick with the kind of oil as its used before, and using the same king can provide more benefits than switching to a 'better' oil. just something i heard.
                          I think that info is more related to automatic transmissions then manual transmissions. But this is just my gut feeling and opinion, fordfest78 is not responsible for any damage done to your trans for putting in ultra super shift omg pwnzer fluid 5000 in your vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                          X